Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let the Mileage Run Games Begin! (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2023, 2:25 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by boxo
My first comment referred to KOA and you're booked to HNL, so, yeah, the BOGO/B0HO doesn't apply to you.
Yeah HNL was only 10% off.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Well Kona was NOT a place I expected to go this year but here we are... JFK-SAN-KOA and back (with overnights in SAN on the way out and KOA) at 3.44 cpm. Going through SEA on the outbound would save me a day and get me 100 extra miles, but I would have no time to enjoy in KOA (land in the evening and depart at noon) and I'd lose at least a half day of work.

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I booked on Indigenous peoples day for 388 RT, if you happen to have that day off
I have another trip that weekend which I now realize MUST be on AA as I will be a little short of MVPG this year.

I recently did a research study and the gift card finally hit, so looks like it's time to shut up on here and get back to booking flights.

-J.
Repooc17 likes this.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jul 24, 2023 at 5:41 pm
Old Jul 25, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
No longer having same day turns available to KOA from SAN really dampens the MR ability. Looks like LIH and OGG are still doable, but not as cheap and less availability.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
No longer having same day turns available to KOA from SAN really dampens the MR ability. Looks like LIH and OGG are still doable, but not as cheap and less availability.
SJC has back to back on certain days to/from KOA
I was able to stitch together the following:

Day 1: SJC-KOA-SJC (direct/same day turn)
Day 2: SJC-KOA
above from a previous AS sale

​​​​​Based on the latest promo:

(still day 2) KOA-SAN-JFK (+1) arrival on morning of day 3 on the east coast.

45 hours run with 1 red-eye and 1 night with a bed.
boxo likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
SJC has back to back on certain days to/from KOA
I was able to stitch together the following:

Day 1: SJC-KOA-SJC (direct/same day turn)
Day 2: SJC-KOA
above from a previous AS sale

​​​​​Based on the latest promo:

(still day 2) KOA-SAN-JFK (+1) arrival on morning of day 3 on the east coast.

45 hours run with 1 red-eye and 1 night with a bed.
I’m SAN based so flying to SJC doesn’t make much sense. I’m looking at doing SAN-KOA-SEA-SAN taking the red eye to SEA and then first flight to SAN.

What I would really like is something like SAN-KOA-SEA-East coast-SAN. JFK would be ideal but you either have to overnight in KOA to catch the red eye from SEA to JFK or overnight in SEA if you catch the afternoon flight. Catch the red eye to SEA and you’re overnighting at JFK.
Are there any destinations that connect from the afternoon arrival at SEA around midnight?
Old Jul 25, 2023, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I’m SAN based so flying to SJC doesn’t make much sense. I’m looking at doing SAN-KOA-SEA-SAN taking the red eye to SEA and then first flight to SAN.

What I would really like is something like SAN-KOA-SEA-East coast-SAN. JFK would be ideal but you either have to overnight in KOA to catch the red eye from SEA to JFK or overnight in SEA if you catch the afternoon flight. Catch the red eye to SEA and you’re overnighting at JFK.
Are there any destinations that connect from the afternoon arrival at SEA around midnight?
Not really sure, and I'm sure you saw this, but KOA-SAN-JFK can be done in around 13 hours with a 1250L departure and the SAN-JFK redeye, arrives around 0700. That's how I'll be getting home.

-J.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Not really sure, and I'm sure you saw this, but KOA-SAN-JFK can be done in around 13 hours with a 1250L departure and the SAN-JFK redeye, arrives around 0700. That's how I'll be getting home.

-J.
Yes, I saw that but that means I would have to do SAN-KOA(overnight)KOA-SAN-(redeye)JFK-SAN. That ends up being 3 days; I can fly to Europe and back in less time. If I did something like that it makes more sense to do SEA versus SAN for the return for more miles and better lounge options. Oh, and I don't think I can book SAN-KOA-SAN-JFK-SAN as one itinerary since it's 2 roundtrips.

EDIT: never mind. Looks like it's possible to do KOA-(redeye)SEA-JFK-SAN for a return making for a very long day.

Last edited by skunker; Jul 25, 2023 at 4:31 pm
Old Jul 25, 2023, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

EDIT: never mind. Looks like it's possible to do KOA-(redeye)SEA-JFK-SAN for a return making for a very long day.
Yikes, that is a long long day

Since I determined I wouldn't have any work travel for the rest of this year, I booked KOA and have plans for an Alaska trip and a SFO trip (and a couple of shorter hops on AA). Today however I learned I may be going to Toronto at some point for work! If I can manage to make that happen this year, that might negate the need for an extra AA trip.

-J.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Yikes, that is a long long day

Since I determined I wouldn't have any work travel for the rest of this year, I booked KOA and have plans for an Alaska trip and a SFO trip (and a couple of shorter hops on AA). Today however I learned I may be going to Toronto at some point for work! If I can manage to make that happen this year, that might negate the need for an extra AA trip.

-J.
Yeah, it looks like that quick morning connection at SEA is only available until end of August and all the cheap fares are sold out. I'm going to overnight in KOA and then do the afternoon flight to SEA then JFK red eye and then morning SAN. Still ends up being 3 days, but at least I'll finally get to use my lounge certs!
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 3:00 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K

Who needs KOA when you can do EWR turns
It's gonna be an intense September..
Old Jul 26, 2023, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 985X

Who needs KOA when you can do EWR turns
who wants to go to EWR when you can go to KOA?

It's gonna be an intense September..
Suffering from withdrawal syndrome?
beckoa and innerspace like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 10:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I was able to do JFK (late morning) - SEA (afternoon) - KOA (immediate turnaround on the red eye) - SEA - JFK (to land in the early afternoon). Gave myself enough time to enjoy the N lounge both ways and the JFK lounge
Old Jul 26, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
who wants to go to EWR when you can go to KOA?
Significantly better upgrade chances and more likely chance to use GGUs?

Did a few of those last year from SAN.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Many dates for SAN-JFK reduced to $79 saver. Roundtrip in Main cabin now as low as $233. With the current 8% corp codes floating around it's pricing as $211.39. One of the lower transcon prices we've seen in a while. Unfortunately SAN-JFK is a $40 upgrade to main instead of $30 we see on some other transcon routes.
boxo likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 5:09 pm

Can I get some opinions on which of these to do? Trying to do something fun to get my last segments (yes, I know I won't get segments for each leg of of the Milk Run).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.