Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

DL Offers Free ViaSat Wi-Fi (2/1/2023) - Will AS Respond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Offers Free ViaSat Wi-Fi (2/1/2023) - Will AS Respond?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Nope, not likely. As I understand it, Delta had been persuing this with the new wifi provider for a few years now as they promised ample service for all connection inflight. Meanwhile DL's gogoinflight agreements are still intact but ending, which is why they haven't made the full switch as of yet (January 2023). For Alaska, AS has renewed agreement with gogoinflight for a satellite coverage, but still limited to gogo wifi. Other people probably know more about gogowifi and limitation it carries but as far as Im concerned, I don't think gogo can handle every connectivity, nor AS has funds allocated to pay for free wifi for all.

Jiburi
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:47 am

Elites should get free wifi. At least Gold and up . However, there was a time when you bought cell phones and one would ever imagine needing more than 100 minutes a month. Times are a changing
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I agree....this is a completely appropriate thread topic and one that I think a lot of AS flyers would be interested in.
I already get free wifi on AS because of my T-Mobile account.
worldwidedreamer and leroix like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k
Originally Posted by jiburi
Nope, not likely. As I understand it, Delta had been persuing this with the new wifi provider for a few years now as they promised ample service for all connection inflight. Meanwhile DL's gogoinflight agreements are still intact but ending, which is why they haven't made the full switch as of yet (January 2023). For Alaska, AS has renewed agreement with gogoinflight for a satellite coverage, but still limited to gogo wifi. Other people probably know more about gogowifi and limitation it carries but as far as Im concerned, I don't think gogo can handle every connectivity, nor AS has funds allocated to pay for free wifi for all.

Jiburi
I get free wifi because of my T-Mobile account and Gogo has been fine. It does occasionally need a reboot but I take about 100 flights a year and I'm satisfied with the speed and reliability.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by SimonT007
I get free wifi because of my T-Mobile account and Gogo has been fine. It does occasionally need a reboot but I take about 100 flights a year and I'm satisfied with the speed and reliability.
See, thats the thing. T mobile has an agreement with Gogo, and has little to do with what AS signed with Gogo. AS pays nothing for those people connecting wifi via T mobile agreement. If AS paid for everyone connecting wifi, I think it would be cost prohibitive under the current agreement, i think. (just guessing of course)

If everyone had T mobile, we’d be able test how gogo wifi connectivity might be… I somehow dont trust gogo but who knows…..

Jiburi
Old Jan 15, 2023, 8:06 pm

Programs: AS 100k, AA MM, HH Dia
Originally Posted by jiburi
If everyone had T mobile, we’d be able test how gogo wifi connectivity might be… I somehow dont trust gogo but who knows…..
T-Mobile gogo is actually throttled - I pulled the details from the terms in a previous thread... the experience using paid AS wifi and free T-Mobile gogo on AS is a night and day difference. I wouldn't be surprised if they could support the T-Mobile level experience for the whole plane on the satellite equipped planes.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:35 pm

In 2021, This is where Delta decided to abandon gogo….. from onemileatatime
Delta in general invests more in its inflight experience than American and United, so it’s not surprising to see that this is an area where Delta is leading as well.

There was only one major issue — after conducting some tests, it became clear that the Gogo 2Ku Wi-Fi Delta has installed on plans simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to support free Wi-Fi for all. After all, usage increases significantly when Wi-Fi is free.

With Gogo seemingly unable to meet Delta’s needs, the airline started looking elsewhere, which is where Viasat comes into play.
This is likely where AS is currently, and with current gogo, not likely.

jiburi
Old Jan 18, 2023, 12:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I had my first experience of having to pay $25 for ATG-4 WiFi on a BOS-SFO B738 last week. Unusably slow.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL Platinum,WN A-list, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
To be honest the $8 is very decent and some people might not want to pay for it, and that's great!

Just got out of a Delta 752 aircraft and the Wifi cost for the segment is $30!! Ended up subscribing for an entire month as at least 4 more DL transcon coming up in one month.

If it's not for the expiring DL certificate I would definitely go for AS, great chance clearing into F and $8 Wifi (cheaper with AS credit card).
Old Jan 18, 2023, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by leroix
T-Mobile gogo is actually throttled - I pulled the details from the terms in a previous thread... the experience using paid AS wifi and free T-Mobile gogo on AS is a night and day difference. I wouldn't be surprised if they could support the T-Mobile level experience for the whole plane on the satellite equipped planes.
I guess the question is how much bandwidth is given, even if throttled. I mean, even streaming video on your phone won't take more than 5 Mbps at 720p, most likely. I probably wouldn't be doing massive downloads on the plane.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by SimonT007
Recently took a business trip to OGG (from SAN), enjoyed free wifi as a T-Mobile customer (grandfathered Sprint everything plan) in both directions. Did not check speeds, but it felt throttled, more than adequate for text and email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.