Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

DL Offers Free ViaSat Wi-Fi (2/1/2023) - Will AS Respond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2023, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k

“Free” fast Wi-Fi for everyone on flight with equipment stariting February 1, 2023 on Delta flights. “Sponsored” by T-Mobile.

I use the fast speed Wi-Fi on my AS flights for $8 and it works GREAT. However I suspect only a fraction of passengers using. If everyone on the delta flight is connected will this slow down speeds?

Currently pay the $50/month as our family travels about 8-10:flights a month. $600 per year is about 4 one way mid-con flights a year. Free on flights seems quite the value for road warriors.

Is it really “free”? Sort of like mandatory resort fees at hotels that provide “free Wi-Fi “. Process will require logging on by using frequent flier login.

updated edit: WILL AS EVENTUALLY FOLLOW??

Last edited by Xrayman; Jan 7, 2023 at 10:09 am Reason: Update
Old Jan 7, 2023, 6:56 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Delta is finally copying Jetblue which has had free Wi-Fi for years now. Viasat is good enough to get decent speeds for everybody and yes it will be free though DL will require a Skymiles account to login. B6’s allows anybody to access it-after watching a few seconds of an ad.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
This thread is relevant to AS flyers how?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:45 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Tack
This thread is relevant to AS flyers how?
…years from now Alaska will be putting out their marketing spin as to how amazing it is they are offering free WiFi. The thread gives everybody a few years advanced notice. 😃
olouie and Seattle123 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
It’s kind of a FT tradition that when airline X does something, threads in other forums pop up with “Will airline Y do the same?”

Will UA follow Delta and provide free wifi for premiers?

When does American follow Delta? (Free Wifi)

Here is the other cool thing about FT: the rules don’t require everyone to partake in every discussion. You are allowed to choose your topics of interest and ignore others.
olouie, ziggy29, macmedic and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
It’s kind of a FT tradition that when airline X does something, threads in other forums pop up with “Will airline Y do the same?”

Here is the other cool thing about FT: the rules don’t require everyone to partake in every discussion. You are allowed to choose your topics of interest and ignore others.
Very true, except nowhere were the words “Will AS”, or “When does Alaska” included in the title. So I again, must inquire as to this post’s relevancy here? Cheers!
philemer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Very true, except nowhere were the words “Will AS”, or “When does Alaska” included in the title. So I again, must inquire as to this post’s relevancy here? Cheers!
Poor choice of titles (that get fixed by mods) is another FT tradition.

So, what will AS do?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
My guess? Nothing. They still haven't harmonized $8 wifi across all three carriers (AS, OO, QX). They have bigger fish to fry, including re-inventing airport lobbies.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Didn’t realize this was a grammar class. I’ve updated. Just assumed individuals could infer based upon the fact this is under the AS forum.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

I agree....this is a completely appropriate thread topic and one that I think a lot of AS flyers would be interested in.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Xrayman
Didn’t realize this was a grammar class. I’ve updated. Just assumed individuals could infer based upon the fact this is under the AS forum.
Fair enough, still seems more like a post better suited for the DL board. But I’ll observe, let’s see how much discussion on the topic of Will AS Offer Free WiFi ensues.

Edit: I’ll speculate, no they won’t. Simply because of their T-Mobil agreement being more mature AS could complain to T-Mobil about it wanting to promote it again for free too. But I’d expect no. Cheers!

Last edited by Tack; Jan 7, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally, I think AS will follow. Just like free Wifi has become a standard feature of pretty much every hotel room I have stayed in in recent years while initially it was a pay feature and then became a benefit for elites. So AS might make it free for everyone, or perhaps initially make it an elite benefit.

Personally, I actually enjoy the offline time on airplanes. It allows forces me to focus on a book or a movie and stops me from the easily distractions of FT, FB, email, news …. I am not a business traveler, so I don’t need/want the ability to be productive or reachable at all times. So in a way I dread the day when that last bastion of mental peace and tranquility falls.
leroix and diver858 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Lets not forget that Alaska was *FIRST* out the gate with FREE wifi messaging for everyone, and then the free wifi deal with T-Mo, which then expanded to other airlines....

I still have my GoGo unlimited airline plan from like 2007, except its at $49.95/mo instead of the original $39.95. And it works on Delta. I ended up biting and taking the $59 plan on American though.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:30 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
So AS might make it free for everyone, or perhaps initially make it an elite benefit.
They already did that. One of the MVP 100k choice benefits is free WiFi for the year.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 11:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K / United Premier 1K
I hope they follow suit! Delta has been crushing it in SEA with pricing and amenities - I’ll probably switch over this year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.