Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Middle name not present on partner award bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2023, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT

So I have somewhat of an issue with several upcoming trips, I discovered that my middle name isn't in the reservation and I'm not exactly sure how it came to be, because I've been using the saved "profile" to book tickets and the middle name is there.

After talking with As customer care they said the only way to get the name added is to cancel and rebook reservation, and this doesn't seem very definitive because most of my flights do not have availability and cancelled award ticket doesn't always show back up in inventory.

Has anyone gone thru this dilemma before and what was the solution? I know some airlines/countries are strict and this international travel (JAL/SQ if that matters)
Old Jan 3, 2023, 6:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I have never had an issue with the lack of middle names on my tickets when flying anywhere in the world, even though they are on my passport. I've had all sorts of random crap in there too, including "Mr" tacked on in the middle.

Basically, the systems botch middle names all the time. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 6:53 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Youll be fine as long as first/last match your passport
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 8:36 am

I just had this on a Cathay award flight and missing middle name was not an issue.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Pretty sure middle names do not matter and are not “legal” names.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 11:32 am

Programs: AS 75K, southwest A+, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire ambassador
I flew Finnair earlier this year on a paid ticket. There was no place to add my middle name on the reservation when it was booked nor was there a place to add my Global Entry number. I called well before check in time and had my KTN added to the reservation. When it came time to check in, I didn't get Precheck. I thought it might have to do with my middle name and called Finnair. Mentioned that my middle name wasn't on the reservation. Somehow they did something to match up the reservation and global entry and I had the precheck symbol on my boarding pass. Not sure if this was related to the middle name issue. I have not had that issue with other foreign carriers.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
I can confirm that this is a problem for TSA pre-check, but it is no problem at all in general for the ticket. As an aside, 'middle' name is something common in the USA but in (most?) other countries people can either have 1, 2 or as many first names as they want. I know people with 4 first names
Old Jan 3, 2023, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
I am surprised to hear people saying it's an issue for Pre-Chek, Global Entry, etc.

I also have a generational modifier at the end (I'm a II). Everything works in any of those combinations, middle/no middle, II included/not included, MR in the middle randomly, etc. I think all TSA cares about is First/Last and DOB matching your KTN with some degree of messiness allowed. Of course no one would ever comment publicly on what they will accept and what they won't.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's generally NOT an issue for pre-check.

We've flown both SQ and LX recently without middle names, got pre-check at SFO, no issues at all.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

For some reason, United combines my first and middle names (FIRSTMIDDLE LAST). I still get PreCheck.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 8:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by dayone
For some reason, United combines my first and middle names (FIRSTMIDDLE LAST). I still get PreCheck.
Delta does a similar thing for me: (FIRSTMI LAST). I thought it was a typo when I signed up for Sky Miles but then I noticed my cousin's profile has the same format. I've never had any problems despite this oddity.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 8:45 pm

It’s actually better to not include the middle names, can get quite confusing sometimes if you have multiple given names on your passport.

just think of the first name field as meaning “first given name”. Just put the first name that appears in your passport’s given name field.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA, Hyatt
This shouldn't be a issue.
It happens to me once or twice, the agent mixed up my first name and last name, so it is still OK to fly without problem.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Pre-check failed for my wife after I accidentally put my middle initial into her name record. Can't recall if that was BA or AS though (I think AS). Once the check-in agent fixed that, it came back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.