Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by yipinglim
Hi,

Quick question regarding purchasing miles as I’m seeing last minute inventory pop up now and then… How long do miles typically take to deposit once purchased? I saw some online sites saying it took about 16 hours… Is this in line with the experience of folks here?

Secondly, will Alaska be able to hold the booking on a JL award ticket while I wait for the miles to deposit? Wondering if this is even an option.

Thanks in advance.
There are varied reports on posting times. Last time I bought miles, just a couple months ago, they immediately posted.

Sadly, you won't be able to hold a JL reservation on AS. They don't offer that service. I remember back in the day AA would allow that (24-hour holds), but it was their implementation to the 24-hour rule where you must be able to cancel without cost. The hold gave them a way of providing the 24 hours, I presume in a more cost effective approach - but don't know for certain.
Old May 15, 2023, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I was able to make it work this past weekend. I had to do the reservation on my iPad. I used Safari. Our route is SEA-SFO-HND-ITM. When I tried to use my desktop, the system defaulted to the old engine and UI, which still has the bug and requires the reservse RT workaround. We then tried to book additional seats for minors on the same flights using miles from my wife's account. That introduced some issues that required a call. So be wary on trying to book flights on a separate PNR with only minors.
Interesting. I only tried desktop. Mobile might be another workaround.
Old May 16, 2023, 5:36 pm

You're right. My last test a few posts up worked but my recent test failed.

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Have you tried it?

One poster said this. I do not believe anything has changed and the end of schedule booking bugs remain. I have tried and there are no JAL flights shown at end of schedule when searching from the home page for a one-way award. Sometimes the Calendar Trick works, but sometimes it does not. The Round-Trip Workaround still works. If there has been a fix I am not seeing it. If anyone else sees a one-way search from the homepage showing JAL awards at the end of schedule (last 4-5 days or so) please post details. It is possible it works for some routes, but not the ones I have tried.
Old May 17, 2023, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
There are varied reports on posting times. Last time I bought miles, just a couple months ago, they immediately posted.

Sadly, you won't be able to hold a JL reservation on AS. They don't offer that service. I remember back in the day AA would allow that (24-hour holds), but it was their implementation to the 24-hour rule where you must be able to cancel without cost. The hold gave them a way of providing the 24 hours, I presume in a more cost effective approach - but don't know for certain.
Great, thanks for the response, much appreciated… Hopefully it’ll post quick too if I purchase it…
Old May 18, 2023, 8:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Have an award F ticket LAX-HND -- any idea how much it costs to add NRT-TPE in business these days?
Old May 19, 2023, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Have an award F ticket LAX-HND -- any idea how much it costs to add NRT-TPE in business these days?
Last month I added TSA/HND in J to existing HND/JFK in F and didn't have to use any additional miles. I was surprised because before the devaluation 5,000 miles would have been needed to add the segment.
Old May 19, 2023, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by BeeNYC
Last month I added TSA/HND in J to existing HND/JFK in F and didn't have to use any additional miles. I was surprised because before the devaluation 5,000 miles would have been needed to add the segment.
Yeah, the additional segment with no added charge is surprising because isn't the award chart split between US-Japan and US-Asia and the US-Asia is a little more expensive than US-Japan? Maybe you found a hack! Did you add it on by calling?
Old May 19, 2023, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Yeah, the additional segment with no added charge is surprising because isn't the award chart split between US-Japan and US-Asia and the US-Asia is a little more expensive than US-Japan? Maybe you found a hack! Did you add it on by calling?
I did it by calling because when I tried to change it online, after selecting the add-on segment I kept getting an error message when I tried to pay. However, even when I tried to add it online, it showed that no extra miles were required.
Old May 19, 2023, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by BeeNYC
I did it by calling because when I tried to change it online, after selecting the add-on segment I kept getting an error message when I tried to pay. However, even when I tried to add it online, it showed that no extra miles were required.
Nice hack, so just initially book US-JPN and then after that is all booked, you call to add a segment to Taiwan?
Old May 21, 2023, 5:27 pm

Anyone able to book JL F within T-14 recently? Look like AS and AA doesn't show any availability. I checked EF and it show that seats are available. Did JL stop releasing F seats to partner?
Old May 21, 2023, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by coolnyc
Anyone able to book JL F within T-14 recently? Look like AS and AA doesn't show any availability. I checked EF and it show that seats are available. Did JL stop releasing F seats to partner?
They are just snatched up very quickly after the availability is opened.
Old May 21, 2023, 6:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I’ve flown JAL F a few times this year. Both times the cabin was completely full. After 2 1-2 years of closure people are really eager to go to Japan. It’s frankly amazing so many premium cabin awards all still available on both JAL and ANA gotta book em when you see em
Old May 22, 2023, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by coolnyc
Yes... but I was using AA miles so I don't know if AS sees the same availability. A couple of weeks ago I was able to get 2x NRT-JFK in F, not ideal as I needed to connect from SIN and JL don't have a good connecting flight. But two days later HND-JFK opened up in F and I grabbed them (and cancelled the NRT-JFK). In both cases right at the T-14 and you do need to be quick to grab them. Now I needed connecting flight from SIN and I telephoned in to add those, at T-14 all I could get was economy but the pattern on SIN-HND seemed to be that they open up business class at T-3 and indeed that happened like clockwork. It won't happen for every flight, every day... depends on loads, but I kept an eye on that with ExpertFlyer and was confident of getting business class at T-3, which indeed I did.
aquanine likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by dkerr
Yes... but I was using AA miles so I don't know if AS sees the same availability. A couple of weeks ago I was able to get 2x NRT-JFK in F, not ideal as I needed to connect from SIN and JL don't have a good connecting flight. But two days later HND-JFK opened up in F and I grabbed them (and cancelled the NRT-JFK). In both cases right at the T-14 and you do need to be quick to grab them. Now I needed connecting flight from SIN and I telephoned in to add those, at T-14 all I could get was economy but the pattern on SIN-HND seemed to be that they open up business class at T-3 and indeed that happened like clockwork. It won't happen for every flight, every day... depends on loads, but I kept an eye on that with ExpertFlyer and was confident of getting business class at T-3, which indeed I did.
Do you have a ton of AA points? What was your actions for swapping flights? Did you place the new one on hold and then cancel the other and wait for points to return and then pay for new flight? I don't have enough points to be able to book both to secure it and cancel the unwanted
Old May 22, 2023, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by fernoppi
Do you have a ton of AA points? What was your actions for swapping flights? Did you place the new one on hold and then cancel the other and wait for points to return and then pay for new flight? I don't have enough points to be able to book both to secure it and cancel the unwanted
I had >500k points so yes, I could confirm the HND-JFK before cancelling the NRT-JFK. I think if I was point constrained I would either try what you suggest (if hold is offered) or just phone in and have an AAgent do it. But wait times are around an hour right now (or were on both occasions I had to call in, first to add the SIN-HND in economy, and again to change it to business). It is 80K AA points for F from Japan to JFK. Adding on SIN to HND was 20K in economy, became 30K when J opened up, so 110K per person for the full itinerary. They actually did it as two separate pulls, even though AA publish a south-east Asia to US region as single award. But it amounts to the same final price. Taxes/fees were about $75 per person, and AA has no cancel/change fees which made it easy decision to book what I could get when I could get it and hold out for something better. Flights are this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.