Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2023, 5:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Aeroplan 50k, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Not sure if this is common knowledge (apologies if redundant), just a random JAL contribution-for anyone wishing to go to Korea...you'll notice that SEA (or any west coast city) to ICN is super difficult to book because of KL flights that pop up that are super duper expensive.

Assuming you don't mind a small stop, I usually book my JAL tickets not to ICN, but rather to GMP (Gimpo) which was the international airport prior to ICN. GMP is closer to Seoul too on the AREX line. If necessary, you can force the stopover in japan. Usually it'll be SEA-NRT/HND-GMP. Just gotta find the award ticket to get you over the water. Cheers!
Arsene Wenger likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 8:18 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by beachfan
I see F available from HND- LAx

but from kix, only offered (in the app), J on both legs.

Married segments or need to call in?
It is an AS IT bug reported previously in this thread.

It may or may not be married but simply calling in to book both segments is unlikely to result in success because of the bug,. You can start with a call although I would probably start with an online booking and call to change it. If the KIX flight is available separately your best bet is to book the HND-LAX F flight online and call in to add the KIX-HND flight. If the KIX flight is not available separately then it is married and the strategy would be to book the J all the way through and call to switch the HND-LAX from J to F (if it can be married to a J flight it can also be married to an F flight).
beachfan likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:18 am

I have a ticket in J SEA-NRT. I want to add HND-GMP. So stopover in TYO. Anyone have had experience adding a stopover after a ticket has been booked? I don't want to risk losing SEA-NRT portion in J, if I cancel and rebook.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by kasios
I have a ticket in J SEA-NRT. I want to add HND-GMP. So stopover in TYO. Anyone have had experience adding a stopover after a ticket has been booked? I don't want to risk losing SEA-NRT portion in J, if I cancel and rebook.
Many have added segments to create a stopover. There should be no issues. Call in. Stress that you want to keep SEA-NRT but add HND-GMP to create a stopover in TYO. There, of course, has to be award availability for the segment to be added.
eggsbenedict and kasios like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Aeroplan 50k, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
literally just did it yesterday. lol-i've added segments multiple times, no issues. you will probably need your cc number to for taxes (like 20 bucks)
eggsbenedict and kasios like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:13 pm

Thanks for the above answers, I came to ask the same question. I just booked 2 seats on NRT-YVR for next November. Was hoping to get HKG-NRT-YVR with a 3 day stopover in Tokyo, but seems like the JAL flights HKG-TYO just don't exist at all in the AS or BA award engines, only CX flights show up. Maybe they'll show up later on? Would be perfectly happy even in Y for the extra 5000 miles.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by eggsbenedict
Thanks for the above answers, I came to ask the same question. I just booked 2 seats on NRT-YVR for next November. Was hoping to get HKG-NRT-YVR with a 3 day stopover in Tokyo, but seems like the JAL flights HKG-TYO just don't exist at all in the AS or BA award engines, only CX flights show up. Maybe they'll show up later on? Would be perfectly happy even in Y for the extra 5000 miles.
I guess you have not been following the news. Japan enacted travel restrictions on Chinese travelers and flights from China due to the recent Covid wave there and China announced they are not processing any visas from Japan. There are a few flights but no saver awards. Gobs of JAL miles can get you there for now but we will probably have to wait for the diplomatic spat to die down before JL partner saver awards return.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I have some F on JAL bought with AS miles from JFK to HND and was looking at my various options to continue on. I see J availability to DEL but not to BKK. Is this normal?

Also any reccomendations for other possible add on trips besides those two? THX
Old Jan 17, 2023, 2:10 pm

Alaska's award booking engine has really gone to crap

Old Jan 17, 2023, 3:15 pm

Well that is one way to route things ...
Attached Images  
jch636, kalderlake and ssk244 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Well that is one way to route things ...
Actually I think this is one of the strengths of the AS booking engine... it found a SFO to HND flight for you the following day and allowed a connection to it. If you tried this on e.g. AA then I am sure it would not have offered such a routing. What are the results if you search the following day? The JL flight will still be available. Maybe a BART train from OAK to SFO arriving in time to connect with JL :-). Joking aside, Swiss Airlines has a partnership with Swiss Railways and you can get the Swiss website booking engine to include a Swiss Rail connection to ZRH from a number of cities in Switzerland (not all, only cities covered by their partnership agreement). For example search for GVA to JFK returns flights from Geneva airport, but search ZHT to JFK and it offers codeshare "flight" on Swiss Rail from Geneva city railway station to ZRH, connecting to flight to JFK.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by dkerr
Actually I think this is one of the strengths of the AS booking engine... it found a SFO to HND flight for you the following day and allowed a connection to it. If you tried this on e.g. AA then I am sure it would not have offered such a routing. What are the results if you search the following day? The JL flight will still be available. Maybe a BART train from OAK to SFO arriving in time to connect with JL :-). Joking aside, Swiss Airlines has a partnership with Swiss Railways and you can get the Swiss website booking engine to include a Swiss Rail connection to ZRH from a number of cities in Switzerland (not all, only cities covered by their partnership agreement). For example search for GVA to JFK returns flights from Geneva airport, but search ZHT to JFK and it offers codeshare "flight" on Swiss Rail from Geneva city railway station to ZRH, connecting to flight to JFK.
This is a phantom award. It won’t book and if you search for direct it doesn’t exist.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:47 pm

Yeah, I think the super re-routed ones are definitely phantom awards. Saw a F class ticket from NRT to LA (through burbank, causing multiple connections in US), but then i looked on AA.com and there was no seats.

Sandeep1 , theres no availability, but I think over the past...two years or so? unless you're booking JAL or CX like a year in advance, its hard to find biz seats (granted I'm on west coast, but still)
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by mendacio
Yeah, I think the super re-routed ones are definitely phantom awards. Saw a F class ticket from NRT to LA (through burbank, causing multiple connections in US), but then i looked on AA.com and there was no seats.

Sandeep1 , theres no availability, but I think over the past...two years or so? unless you're booking JAL or CX like a year in advance, its hard to find biz seats (granted I'm on west coast, but still)
Looks like if I just wait until T-14, I'll have plenty of choices.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by olouie
This is a phantom award. It won’t book and if you search for direct it doesn’t exist.
Ugh!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.