Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Paid for "Premium" Seat - Now I Can Choose Exit Row but Will "Forfeit" my Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid for "Premium" Seat - Now I Can Choose Exit Row but Will "Forfeit" my Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2022, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver

New to Alaska Airlines so looking for guidance on seating. I purchased a "premium" seat as I wanted the extra legroom for working on my laptop. Now it appears as though I can select an Exit Row (this was previously not an option) but am confronted with a warning "Switching from an upgraded seat to a main cabin seat means you will forfeit your seat upgrade fee and miss out on the inflight benefits of your upgraded seat."

Multiple questions:
1) If I select exit row, can I go back to my "premium seat" without paying?
2) On this 737-800, is there extra legroom in both rows 16 and 17? Is it more legroom than a non-exit row premium seat? This is a daytime flight so I don't care about the non-recline in row 16.
3) If I select exit row, do I lose my early boarding benefits that came with the premium seat (I have zero status / credit card with Alaska)?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
1. If you forfeit your premium seat you can't go back without paying again.
2 Row 16 & 17 have equal to or better than leg room over premium.
3. Yes, you will lose the benefits of the premium seat if you change.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Someone on here that seemed to know said the exit rows have even more legroom than PC. I've also heard the exit row seat cushions are slightly thinner and could be less comfortable. Fwiw, PC has plenty of legroom for most people. I'm 6'4" and have plenty of room to spare.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Don't give up a premium seat for an exit row unless it is to move out of a middle.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Don't give up a premium seat for an exit row unless it is to move out of a middle.
Also you'd be forfeiting the Premium aspect of complimentary Beer, Wine, & Spirits that comes with the privileges of being seated in such a Premium seat.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Great insights all. Perfect example of why flyertalk exists!
Old Nov 1, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Yep, not like AA where exit rows are also MCE and get MCE benefits. PE is only PE on Alaska.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 8:18 am

Assuming you only upgraded for the legroom, I would still stay in PC and keep checking the map and you might be able to move to a window or aisle.
In the future, as long as you book a main cabin fare, empty exit row seats open to anyone (not saver unless assigned by gate agent) on the day of departure.
Along with the extra legroom in PC, you also get to enjoy earlier boarding which means better access to overhead bin space as well as free alcohol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.