Wiki Posts
Search

AS Lounge Access as OWE/OWS (Non-AA/AS)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2022, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

AS Lounge Access as OWE/OWS (Non-AA/AS)

Hi all,

After scouring AS' website and also chatting with them in addition to conflicting reports here, I am still confused and unsure of the correct answer.

Are oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members (earned via carriers other than AA and AS, eg. BA Gold) permitted to access AS lounges on a solely US domestic itinerary even if travelling in Economy? Whilst I know oneworld policies state that we should be allowed access, there seem to be frequent reports on here that AS have been declining access. If so, is this because we're genuinely not allowed or is this poor knowledge from lounge agents? If it is the latter, any positive experiences that anyone can share from recent times or any tips on how best to deal with any potential initial resistance? (Of course, I wouldn't make a scene lol!)

It doesn't help that the AS website is very vague and the best info I can find is this, it doesn't specifically state "irrespective of cabin" but can I assume it does imply that?

I am a oneworld Emerald or Sapphire via a oneworld member airline other than American or Alaska, do I need to be on an international itinerary to enter the lounge?
If you are a oneworld Emerald or Sapphire member that has been earned through an airline other than American or Alaska, you are not required to have an international itinerary. For valid entry, the qualifying frequent flier number must be in your reservation.
It also doesn't help that the chat agent I just conversed with was adamant that we must be flying First class to be eligible! I wish it was clearcut like it is with AA whereby lounge access for OWS/OWE is seamless and no problems at all.

I hope the AS experts (and any lurking insiders on here?) may be able to clarify once and for all! Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k
Lounge Dragon Hoarding the Gold

Originally Posted by AirbusA350
Are oneworld Sapphire and Emerald members (earned via carriers other than AA and AS, eg. BA Gold) permitted to access AS lounges on a solely US domestic itinerary even if travelling in Economy? Whilst I know oneworld policies state that we should be allowed access, there seem to be frequent reports on here that AS have been declining access. If so, is this because we're genuinely not allowed or is this poor knowledge from lounge agents? If it is the latter, any positive experiences that anyone can share from recent times or any tips on how best to deal with any potential initial resistance? (Of course, I wouldn't make a scene lol!)

It doesn't help that the AS website is very vague and the best info I can find is this, it doesn't specifically state "irrespective of cabin" but can I assume it does imply that?

It also doesn't help that the chat agent I just conversed with was adamant that we must be flying First class to be eligible! I wish it was clearcut like it is with AA whereby lounge access for OWS/OWE is seamless and no problems at all.
Yes, they should admit nonAS/AA OWE even on economy domestic itinerary. I have no data points for you since I'm only AS 100K.

I would print the web page and carry it with me.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 2:34 pm

You should be allowed entry. Have the webpage pulled up on your phone, and if you run into any resistance, just ask the agent to scan your boarding pass. Chances are that they think you don't have access, but their tablet would say otherwise. AS lounge agents are notoriously bad with access rules outside of their own paying First customers. I don't have non-AA/AS OneWorld status myself, but I've had a few experiences where my lounge access is more peculiar, and had to plead the case with the agent. So far, I haven't been wrongly denied yet. And don't even bother with the chat agents, their words don't mean a thing when you're at the lounge, whether it's a yes or a no. Good luck!
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by ezak
and if you run into any resistance, just ask the agent to scan your boarding pass.
I would just offer the boarding pass first (usually it’s what they ask for anyways) without mentioning anything about access entitlement.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
I was denied access while being a BA Silver and flying domestic AS since I had my AS FF number in the reservation. They said I must have a BA FF number instead.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by hyedmd;[url=tel:34575667
34575667[/url]]I was denied access while being a BA Silver and flying domestic AS since I had my AS FF number in the reservation. They said I must have a BA FF number instead.
I believe that’s per policy. If you’re looking to leverage non AA/AS OW S/E status, then it needs to be the FFP entered on your ticket. Otherwise, you’re double dipping on benefits.
hyedmd likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by anteater
I believe that’s per policy. If you’re looking to leverage non AA/AS OW S/E status, then it needs to be the FFP entered on your ticket. Otherwise, you’re double dipping on benefits.
Yep, I agree. Just sharing my experience. But I'm surprised how many travel bloggers say that can enter OneWorld or Star Alliance lounges through their non-US elite status. In reality, if one gets let's say a BA status to access AA/AS lounges but doesn't fly BA, it doesn't make much sense.
anteater likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:25 pm

I think some people "game" the system by changing the FFP after getting into the lounge. Not sure if it's possible with AS, though.
hyedmd likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:27 pm

I think some people "game" the system by changing the FFP after getting into the lounge. Not sure if it's possible with AS, though.
It is possible but I gave up on that. I hope AS gives some further membership discounts to 100k elites next year.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by econ
I would just offer the boarding pass first (usually it’s what they ask for anyways) without mentioning anything about access entitlement.
True. The only time I had to prompt them to do so was when I had an AA boarding pass, and the agent wouldn't even scan it in the beginning. I wish they had some kind of automated machine and only let agents deal with machine-denied cases.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

True. The only time I had to prompt them to do so was when I had an AA boarding pass, and the agent wouldn't even scan it in the beginning. I wish they had some kind of automated machine and only let agents deal with machine-denied cases.
I have only seen this at Finnair's Helsinki lounges (amongst OW carriers). I know BA tried it sometime in LHR during 2020/21 but they removed it again but then again that doesn't surprise me with IAG's IT track record anyway! Either way I agree, automated barriers would certainly make it a lot more seamless.

Anyway, regarding your data point, did the agent ultimately relent and scan the boarding pass? If and when they did, did AS' systems admit you (assuming you're non AS/AA OWS/OWE)?
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusA350
I have only seen this at Finnair's Helsinki lounges (amongst OW carriers). I know BA tried it sometime during 2020/21 but I think they've removed it again. I agree, would certainly make it a lot more seamless.

Anyway, regarding your data point, did the agent ultimately relent and scan the boarding pass? If and when they did, did AS' systems admit you (assuming you're non AS/AA OWS/OWE)?
Yes, the agent relented the scanned the boarding pass. Apparently her tablet showed some kind of "access granted" message, so she said "that's all I need" and let us in. That's why I think AS' system is built correctly to acknowledge rightful access.

My experience was from an international J itinerary on AA, with the first leg being domestic. I assume access for non-AS/AA elites should be even more straightforward than this.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:39 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
It's not oneworld policy, it's AS policy. I've never had this issue with any other oneworld airline. The accusation of "double dipping on benefits" is laughable.

Is it double dipping on benefits if you book an award ticket on another program and not use their frequent flyer number on there? Should Alaska elites be allowed lounge access if they booked a ticket using Avios or AAdvantage miles? What about upgrades using SWUs or GUFs?
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by keitherson
It's not oneworld policy, it's AS policy. I've never had this issue with any other oneworld airline. The accusation of "double dipping on benefits" is laughable.

Is it double dipping on benefits if you book an award ticket on another program and not use their frequent flyer number on there? Should Alaska elites be allowed lounge access if they booked a ticket using Avios or AAdvantage miles? What about upgrades using SWUs or GUFs?
If you're looking to leverage the OW S/E benefit of lounge access to an AS Lounge, then it should be on your ticket. If a pax is temporarily substituting their intended FFP # for their non AS/AA OW account in order the gain lounge access, they are then leveraging the benefits of the original FFP as well as the second FFP. You can believe or call this whatever you would like, but it doesn't change what it is.

As for your hypothetical 'book an award ticket': no. Booking an award ticket and using any other FFP # has nothing to do with double dipping and is frankly an absurd follow-up question to counter the original topic. Perhaps familiarize yourself with the T&Cs of the relevant programs so you have less trouble in the future discerning what is and isn't policy.

Cheers! 🤙🏻🍹
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson

Award ticket is another thing. I believe @anteater was talking about using one airline's status for benefits, and then crediting the flight to another airline. Many airlines don't allow this, although there are methods to get around it, such as changing the FFP manually after gaining lounge access. I'm not defending the policy, but these are facts. For example, if you flew on AA and credited the flight to AA, but later regretted it and want to credit it to AS instead, it's possible to ask AA to take back your miles and then ask AS to credit it. However, if you have AA status and have benefited from it on this flight (such as upgrade), AA could and would refuse that request.
anteater likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.