Wiki Posts
Search

Late Check-in with Bags

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PRO, AS 100K
Late Check-in with Bags

My checked baggage was recently refused in SFO as I missed the cut-off time for domestic flights of 0:40 at bag drop despite paying baggage fees and printing bag tags at the self-tag kiosk at 0:41. I understand it is my responsibility to arrive at the airport in time to check bags prior to the cut-off time, but I rarely check bags on AS and I was curious about your experiences.

1. Does AS not offer to late check bags after the cut-off time if you agree the bags may or may not make the flight?
2. Does anyone else have any experience with missing the checked baggage cut-off time on AS by a couple minutes, especially with elite status?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by jaloola
My checked baggage was recently refused in SFO as I missed the cut-off time for domestic flights of 0:40 at bag drop despite paying baggage fees and printing bag tags at the self-tag kiosk at 0:41. I understand it is my responsibility to arrive at the airport in time to check bags prior to the cut-off time, but I rarely check bags on AS and I was curious about your experiences.

1. Does AS not offer to late check bags after the cut-off time if you agree the bags may or may not make the flight?
2. Does anyone else have any experience with missing the checked baggage cut-off time on AS by a couple minutes, especially with elite status?

AS will not accept any late baggage. AS, like most airlines will not accept a late check bag even if you agree to Voluntary Separation, because there is no such thing as a VS bag. If the airline accepts the bag, late or other wise, and it does not arrive with the passenger, they are required to deliver it to the customer. Also, a "VS" bag still has to have a baggage claim opened and that claim is still counted by the DOT towards the airline mishandled numbers, (That is a big reason AS stopped taking bags after cut off). The old days of a courtesy V/S'ing of baggage has mostly been done away with by many airlines for those reason. AS is unbending because they've found a hard cutoff helps get the jet out on schedule, keeps the mishandled numbers down and of course, lowers their costs by not having to deliver delayed items. During my time, there were certain policies that were not allowed to be bent for anyone, including those with status. This was one of them. As for any individual agents deviating from accepting late checks? YMMV
CMHEXP, jaloola and navydevildoc like this.

Last edited by Tack; Jun 23, 2022 at 10:14 am
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
I've missed the cutoff at SEA once a few years ago after an uber driver took a "faster way" through downtown and 99 instead of the 5, taking much longer.. We ended up having to toss larger fluids and gate-check the bags as there weren't other flight options to make it to DCA in time for when we needed to arrive.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:12 am

Just curious, why did they collect a baggage fee from you as AAPLAT/75K? Cheers!
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
I've missed the cutoff at SEA once a few years ago after an uber driver took a "faster way" through downtown and 99 instead of the 5, taking much longer.. We ended up having to toss larger fluids and gate-check the bags as there weren't other flight options to make it to DCA in time for when we needed to arrive.
that’s an interesting “faster way” from downtown lmao
be_rettSEA and jaloola like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG
We are rarely early to the airport and almost always have checked luggage (both MVPG). The 40 min cutoff is a hard deadline and we've managed to get bags checked with a few minutes to spare but never after 40 min. We weren't able to get everything into carryon bags on an OGG-ANC flight a few years ago after some delays getting a shuttle from rental car agency (and cutting it close, as usual) but the agents were very nice about booking me on a different flight an hour or so later so I could travel with the bags. They also let us check all three in my name without fees so I didn't have to lug a box of pineapples around during my newly acquired layover. Sent the hubby on his way and met him in ANC many hours after he arrived!! Lesson learned for sure on that one but we also got lucky with great agents helping us fix our mistake.
be_rettSEA and jaloola like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Happened to me 2 weeks ago at EWR. Grid-lock around the Holland tunnel left me arriving at the check-in counter at T-37m (after spending 2h in an Uber). Agent was apologetic but the computer wouldn't let her accept the bag. Since it was the 7pm last flight to SEA, the agent put me on the JFK flight the next day.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:46 pm

Hi -

to your questions:

1) No.

2) Yes. I was denied both times. Then 75K.

The only recourse (as mentioned upthread) is to schlep your bags to the gate and see if they will gate check them for you.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: SA, JAL, EK
This summer I reached SEA with 1.20 hours to go for departure of AS 153 to SFO. Since I had an international flight (onward from SFO via JAL), I was directed to the international check in queue - two queues of 12-14 people each, with two counters (out of 4) in operation. After waiting in line for 30 mins (with two people and a dog ahead of me), I was pulled out and asked to walk a few metres to a very different counter (along the edge of the terminal). The friendly staff remarked casually that another minute and I'd have been unable to check in my bags. I'm not sure why he said that given it was quite clear that I was waiting for ages.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by meej
We are rarely early to the airport and almost always have checked luggage (both MVPG). The 40 min cutoff is a hard deadline and we've managed to get bags checked with a few minutes to spare but never after 40 min. We weren't able to get everything into carryon bags on an OGG-ANC flight a few years ago after some delays getting a shuttle from rental car agency (and cutting it close, as usual) but the agents were very nice about booking me on a different flight an hour or so later so I could travel with the bags. They also let us check all three in my name without fees so I didn't have to lug a box of pineapples around during my newly acquired layover. Sent the hubby on his way and met him in ANC many hours after he arrived!! Lesson learned for sure on that one but we also got lucky with great agents helping us fix our mistake.
AS does permit one to check 1 case of pineapples from Hawaii for no charge in addition to elite baggage allotments.

This is a YMMV situation. They are rather firm- sometimes smaller stations can be a bit more flexible. Don't count on it- if it can go thru TSA, it should be able to be gate checked.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:20 pm

I'm surprised that AS counted this as a late check in given that the tags were already printed and presumably on the bags. Would the same be true if an agent printed the tags at 41 minutes but didn't get the bags on the belt immediately.
notquiteaff and jaloola like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PRO, AS 100K
Thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences. I definitely learned from my mistake.

Originally Posted by Tack
Just curious, why did they collect a baggage fee from you as AAPLAT/75K? Cheers!
I had to check six bags for work.

Originally Posted by chessman
I'm surprised that AS counted this as a late check in given that the tags were already printed and presumably on the bags. Would the same be true if an agent printed the tags at 41 minutes but didn't get the bags on the belt immediately.
To be honest, I was hoping this would be the case so I used the self-tag kiosk instead of waiting in the priority lane upon entering the terminal at 0:43. The agent at bag drop received an error message upon scanning the first bag on their tablet, and went to ask who I presume to be a lead or supervisor who was firm the bags would not be accepted.
Tack likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:19 am

Another issue not raised.It is my understanding that bags and person are supposed, for security, to be on the same flight. Only time not required is when passenger is involuntarily separated (like me with one piece of luggage left in NY, rather than placed on the plane). In the case of missing the deadline for checking bags - that would be an excellent way to send your bag unaccomplished!
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by awayIgo
Another issue not raised.It is my understanding that bags and person are supposed, for security, to be on the same flight. Only time not required is when passenger is involuntarily separated (like me with one piece of luggage left in NY, rather than placed on the plane). In the case of missing the deadline for checking bags - that would be an excellent way to send your bag unaccomplished!
Right after 911 that was the case for all flights, domestic and international. Since the introduction of inline x-ray screening on domestic baggage belt systems it is not required for domestic flights, as 100% of checked baggage is screened and cleared prior to loading (Oversized items that can't fit in the inline x-ray system, get ETD'd). So AS, like all domestic carriers will depart if a customer no-shows onboard even with their baggage loaded. It still is a thing, I don't know if a requirement, for international flights. I say "thing", because two of my BA flights this year held at the gate to remove bags for no-shows on board, but I have no idea if its required.

Last edited by Tack; Jun 24, 2022 at 8:01 am
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by chessman
Late check in at AS is determined when the bags are tendered at the point of acceptance, regardless if it was pre-tagged. If an agent accepts a bag before cut-off and then sits on it, missing the close out block being sent down, then that is a fail to load, and AS will be responsible for delivery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.