Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

A message from Alaska Airlines CEO Ben Minicucci: Getting back on track

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A message from Alaska Airlines CEO Ben Minicucci: Getting back on track

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
"He said Alaska started April and May with 63 fewer pilots than needed to fly the published flight schedule. Management didn’t recognize this shortage until too late" (https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ilize-in-june/)

If that's not poor management, I don't know what is.
Old May 13, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by rustykettel
It's the laziness of modern corporate communications. Your time is less valuable than theirs, and avoids needing to write succinctly or with substance.
Producing the video (based on the document that surely exists to begin with) requires more effort than simply distributing said document, not less. This is about emotional appeal, not laziness.
Old May 13, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by QT31415
"He said Alaska started April and May with 63 fewer pilots than needed to fly the published flight schedule. Management didn’t recognize this shortage until too late" (https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ilize-in-june/)

If that's not poor management, I don't know what is.
They already publicly said they knew in January that the training schedule was derailed due to the "snow event" so suddenly they are recognizing now after cancelling flights for months that they might not have enough pilots..LOL Can't wait for the 1 June video claiming they didn't realize another month would be starting after May ends

A classic--look over there--video that does not address any of the underlying problems.
AS737 likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
The union and management are deadlocked in negotiations over a new pilot contract. McQuillen said that with flight-crew shortages industrywide, Alaska continues to lose pilots to other airlines, with four or five resignations a week — “a pace we’ve never seen.”(https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...-the-calendar/)

Help me out with the math. In April, they're down 65 pilots. The attrition rate is 4-5 pilots per week, and the new class graduates sometime in June. What miracle was supposed to happen in May? I do not understand the lack of foresight and planning, and feel that they are taking advantage of the goodwill and good nature of their loyal clients to see them through.
Old May 13, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: Costco Club
The union and management are deadlocked in negotiations over a new pilot contract. McQuillen said that with flight-crew shortages industrywide, Alaska continues to lose pilots to other airlines, with four or five resignations a week — “a pace we’ve never seen.”(https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...-the-calendar/)

Help me out with the math. In April, they're down 65 pilots. The attrition rate is 4-5 pilots per week, and the new class graduates sometime in June. What miracle was supposed to happen in May? I do not understand the lack of foresight and planning, and feel that they are taking advantage of the goodwill and good nature of their loyal clients to see them through.
When they go on strike the video will be like "We didn't plan for this, we're sorry. We'll fix it. Just give us until December." Then they'll have an operational meltdown when it snows in December, queue a new video and the process repeats!
pcoll, nomad420 and AS737 like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 12:43 pm

Ben proves that he can read. Why do so few people master a free speech?

Instead of being sorry he should fix it and appease all affected customers.

Actually Ben and others make me stay on the ground for my summer vacations. Zero desire for flight disruptions, no frills and full airports.
Old May 13, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: Alaska MileagePlan MVP
This is getting ridiculous. The fact that they’ve decided making a deal with the pilots is somehow worse than putting out this pablum is just insane to me.
Old May 13, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro

AS controls employee head count like no other corporation I know. With inflight and especially with the pilot group, they have always built their schedules above the number of total CA and FO's that were on property. By getting drivers to pick up open flying, they have to pay a bit more hourly, but save on the other costs of increasing the pilot roster. This is a numbers game that was going to blow up in their face, even before they started loosing low seniority right seater's. Unfortunately, AS employs the same FTE cost control on all work groups, so a 9 hour hold time is actually pretty good. Being cautious to not offend, I think it's evident that Ben and Constance are not adept at leading the company.

Last edited by Tack; May 13, 2022 at 1:59 pm
Old May 13, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: Costco Club
When the pilots go on strike and bring the airline to a halt there will be another video just like this. Maybe we can collectively write it to save AS some money? I'll start.

"We didn't know that negotiations were at an impasse and it would get to this until it was too late..."
H8tofly likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
What Ben neglected to explain is, Why did AS have 63 fewer pilots than they anticipated? If the pilots resigned from AS, why did they leave? Is it an overly dramatic shift in corporate culture? Is it hiring practices? There has to be an explanation.
QT31415 and H8tofly like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
What Ben neglected to explain is, Why did AS have 63 fewer pilots than they anticipated? If the pilots resigned from AS, why did they leave? Is it an overly dramatic shift in corporate culture? Is it hiring practices? There has to be an explanation.
It's been diagnosed ad nauseam on a couple of threads here because Ben isn't giving the real reason. The 63 pilots are just a schoolhouse number that AS is tossing around. There are many reasons, but here are some of the Cliffs Notes. They've lost pilot cooperation in helping to operate a saturated schedule with a ton of open flying. The pilots stopped helping cover open lines because they're fed up with AS dragging their feet on contract negotiations and some of the contract language. Junior pilots are leaving because until AS negotiates an industry equal contract, there are greener pastures at other carriers. AS corporate culture has always been adversarial toward employees. Ben is not nearly the stout leader that Bruce Kennedy, Brad Tilden or even Ray Vecci was.
QT31415, AS737 and H8tofly like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80
tl;dr
  • "For June and beyond we've made significant changes, including hiring and training 150 new pilots, 200 additional reservation agents, and 1100 new flight attendants"
Wall Street doesn't like the sound of this
edgewood49 likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Tack
Ben is not nearly the stout leader that Bruce Kennedy, Brad Tilden or even Ray Vecci was.
Nor Bill Ayer.
AS737 and BayAreaTrvler like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
So, maybe this is on, or not so on, topic, but Ben M. is reminding me of Jeff Goldblum somewhere between the beginning of The Fly, and when he actually turned into The Fly.
Tack and williwaw like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Some may have left for greener pastures within the industry. Some resigned or took early retirement due to vaccine requirements. And some perhaps went on voluntary/involuntary furlough and never returned?
H8tofly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.