Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

D-class elite bonus & MVPG benefits when redeeming another oneworld carrier's miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

D-class elite bonus & MVPG benefits when redeeming another oneworld carrier's miles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.

Got a few newbie questions:

1. When I buy a D-class (discounted First) ticket on Alaska, how does the fare class bonus work for elite status when the flight is less than 500 miles? For example, LAX-SFO is 337 miles...do I earn 750 elite qualifying miles one way on a D fare or just 505 (150% of actual miles flown) towards elite status?

2. When I redeem AA, BA, or IB miles to book a oneworld itinerary that doesn't include any Alaska segments, is there a way to get oneworld sapphire benefits from my MVPG status on that itinerary (i.e. redeem with AA, BA, or IB miles on a oneworld itinerary but then swap the frequent flier number to AS)? Or can that only be accomplished when redeeming AS miles? I don't have status with any oneworld carrier other than Alaska. Just wondering if I'd be able to use a lounge for int'l itineraries, priority baggage handling, business class checkin, etc.

3. What about when I redeem AA, BA, IB, or SQ miles for an award flight on Alaska? Do MVPG benefits apply on Alaska award flights that used another carriers miles to ticket (namely free bags, upgrades, same day confirmed free changes)? Again, would I need to switch my frequent flier number to do that?

Not trying to break any rules (if there are any) - just not sure how it works! Thanks!!
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by John26
Got a few newbie questions:

1. When I buy a D-class (discounted First) ticket on Alaska, how does the fare class bonus work for elite status when the flight is less than 500 miles? For example, LAX-SFO is 337 miles...do I earn 750 elite qualifying miles one way on a D fare or just 505 (150% of actual miles flown) towards elite status?

2. When I redeem AA, BA, or IB miles to book a oneworld itinerary that doesn't include any Alaska segments, is there a way to get oneworld sapphire benefits from my MVPG status on that itinerary (i.e. redeem with AA, BA, or IB miles on a oneworld itinerary but then swap the frequent flier number to AS)? Or can that only be accomplished when redeeming AS miles? I don't have status with any oneworld carrier other than Alaska. Just wondering if I'd be able to use a lounge for int'l itineraries, priority baggage handling, business class checkin, etc.

3. What about when I redeem AA, BA, IB, or SQ miles for an award flight on Alaska? Do MVPG benefits apply on Alaska award flights that used another carriers miles to ticket (namely free bags, upgrades, same day confirmed free changes)? Again, would I need to switch my frequent flier number to do that?

Not trying to break any rules (if there are any) - just not sure how it works! Thanks!!
1. On D fare with routes under 500 miles you will earn 750 EQM.
2. Typically you can flash your AS elite card and that should do the trick. If you want your FFN linked to the reservations, a tip that I learned a while back is to book the ticket for someone else (but instead populate it with all your information) and leave the FFN blank. Once the ticket is issued you can manually add in the AS FFN to have your status reflected in the itinerary.
3. MVPG benefits apply on Alaska award flights that uses other carriers miles to ticket. I would do what I referenced above and ticket it without a FFN then manually add in your AS FFN.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by anhuang19
2. Typically you can flash your AS elite card and that should do the trick. If you want your FFN linked to the reservations, a tip that I learned a while back is to book the ticket for someone else (but instead populate it with all your information) and leave the FFN blank. Once the ticket is issued you can manually add in the AS FFN to have your status reflected in the itinerary.
3. MVPG benefits apply on Alaska award flights that uses other carriers miles to ticket. I would do what I referenced above and ticket it without a FFN then manually add in your AS FFN.
If I am booking an award using AA or BA miles is it possible for the reservation to even be created without the frequent flier account number where the miles are being pulled from?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by John26
If I am booking an award using AA or BA miles is it possible for the reservation to even be created without the frequent flier account number where the miles are being pulled from?
Yes it is. so long as that someone else is you, but also not you at the same time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.