Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Labor Issues Cause Flight Cancellations

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2022, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Sounds like a setup for a Summer from Hell. If you know UA you know what that means.
sfozrhfco, notquiteaff and wrp96 like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Tack
Having multiple interactions with Ben over the years that we both worked at AS? My opinion of him stands. Being able to read the multiple mea culpa posts from Candace on the employee/retiree web site, along with first hand accounts shared with me from active employees? My opinion stands. AS leadership has always had two personalities. Their customer facing persona, which is indeed warm and friendly. And their employee persona, which is aggressive and confrontational. I’m thrilled you experienced the former. I spent a good portion of my 36 years representing employees who experienced the latter. As stated, I stand by my post above.
I’ve never worked for AS, so I can only speak to how management engages with other constituents. I still believe your post was unnecessarily personal, but am even more flabbergasted with the follow up. It seems that AS employees are being abused by management, yet somehow everyone puts on a consistently happy face externally. This is indicative of an extremely toxic and manipulative relationship and I’m surprised that you accepted it for 36 years and that we see so few cracks.

Pilots are (rightfully) frustrated with their contract status, but I’ve yet to hear an individual pilot say anything bad about working at AS or call out specific management by name.
Old May 6, 2022, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
I use to take this flight often until they canceled on me last month. Being the last SFO-JFK flight of the evening , we were booked on the 7AM the following morning. I cancelled and went home. I learned from this experience and now book AS 188 that leaves at 10:20pm. If that cancels, hopefully they would put me on AS 187.

I was on AS 188 on the 26th when AS 187 cancelled and heard there were a few passengers boarding that were booked on the cancelled flight.
Last weekend, I was scheduled on 187 11pm departure - cancelled due to crew scheduling; couldn't get on the earlier flight (188).

This weekend, I am scheduled to be on 188 10pm departure - cancelled (may be a weather issue, both today's and tomorrow's 10pm flights has already been cancelled.

Will try to see if I can get on the later flight (187 - still on the schedule), but I am not optimistic.

My luck
Old May 6, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Last weekend, I was scheduled on 187 11pm departure - cancelled due to crew scheduling; couldn't get on the earlier flight (188).

This weekend, I am scheduled to be on 188 10pm departure - cancelled (may be a weather issue, both today's and tomorrow's 10pm flights has already been cancelled.

Will try to see if I can get on the later flight (187 - still on the schedule), but I am not optimistic.

My luck
AS has been regularly cancelling flights on the SFO-JFK-SFO route for the past couple of weeks. No weather involved--aside from the storm at the AS HQ They are simply over scheduling based upon the available staff they have. Completely in denial about the problems and waiting until the last minute to cancel.
Old May 6, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by fly18725
I’ve never worked for AS, so I can only speak to how management engages with other constituents. I still believe your post was unnecessarily personal, but am even more flabbergasted with the follow up. It seems that AS employees are being abused by management, yet somehow everyone puts on a consistently happy face externally. This is indicative of an extremely toxic and manipulative relationship and I’m surprised that you accepted it for 36 years and that we see so few cracks.

Pilots are (rightfully) frustrated with their contract status, but I’ve yet to hear an individual pilot say anything bad about working at AS or call out specific management by name.
Pilots generally don't post on here too much as it is pretty passenger specific, however if you were to look at "Airline Pilot Forums" you would see quite a large number of unhappy pilots calling out management by name.
Old May 6, 2022, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Pilots generally don't post on here too much as it is pretty passenger specific, however if you were to look at "Airline Pilot Forums" you would see quite a large number of unhappy pilots calling out management by name.
Well, we all know that it’s easy to hide behind anonymity on the internet. I’ve made a specific effort to talk to pilots that have scope stickers on their bags and all comments have been constructive.
anteater likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Well, we all know that it’s easy to hide behind anonymity on the internet. I’ve made a specific effort to talk to pilots that have scope stickers on their bags and all comments have been constructive.
Uh huh. I’m not sure what that means but in my view the pilots are not trying to burn down the company, they are trying to make it better, in spite of management. The fact is pilots are voting with their feet as they flee to other airlines. Thus the chaos that now ensues.
Old May 6, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro

The internal workings of any corporation are rarely visible to the consumer, which you know, but still felt the need to respond. I don't believe that any employee, past or present, including myself said that AS was abusive. AS is fantastic at recognizing talent. My co-workers were some of the brightest and kindest individuals that I have ever met. And many of those friendships continue into retirement. AS is a desirable place to work because they pay well and you have the opportunity to be based in some of the best areas of the country. AS does an excellent job of promoting and leveraging an individuals talent. My business exists and thrives because of the skills learned in multiple work force and management positions given to me by AS. And subsequently, I helped lead AS into some exciting flying in the 80's and 90's. But none of that changes the absolute fact that AS has always been aggressive and confrontational with their unions. I have no doubt that you would be flabbergasted. Most folks on the outside peering in, only see the professionalism of the AS employees and not the disdain AS leadership has in working with the unions or following union work rules. The situation with the pilots is not singularly about economics. Without rehashing all the of the Drivers concerns with this contract, I will point out that SCOPE is where AS currently refuses to budge. And that is entirely based on Air Groups history of whipsawing both QX and AS employees over the years. My critique of Ben comes from my personal interactions with him, so it makes sense that I would comment on what I saw in his personality. If it makes you feel any better, my same critique was shared with the entire leadership team, signed by me, on a number of employee engagement surveys during my tenure. I apologize if you were offended, but not for sharing my opinion in this thread. The current pilot shortage and operational issues with AS are 100% an AS leadership issue and could begin to be corrected immediately if they offered an industry standard contract. Cheers.
AS Flyer, wrp96 and jsguyrus like this.

Last edited by Tack; May 6, 2022 at 1:05 pm
Old May 6, 2022, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Uh huh. I’m not sure what that means but in my view the pilots are not trying to burn down the company, they are trying to make it better, in spite of management. The fact is pilots are voting with their feet as they flee to other airlines. Thus the chaos that now ensues.
The pilots I’ve spoken to want what’s best for AS and did not attack management. Negotiations are hard and people that have gone through them before understand that.

Originally Posted by Tack
The internal workings of any corporation are rarely visible to the consumer, which you know, but still felt the need to respond. I don't believe that any employee, past or present, including myself said that AS was abusive. AS is fantastic at recognizing talent. My co-workers were some of the brightest and kindest individuals that I have ever met. And many of those friendships continue into retirement. AS is a desirable place to work because they pay well and you have the opportunity to be based in some of the best areas of the country. AS does an excellent job of promoting and leveraging an individuals talent. My business exists and thrives because of the skills learned in multiple work force and management positions given to me by AS. And subsequently, I helped lead AS into some exciting flying in the 80's and 90's. But none of that changes the absolute fact that AS has always been aggressive and confrontational with their unions. I have no doubt that you would be flabbergasted. Most folks on the outside peering in, only see the professionalism of the AS employees and not the disdain AS leadership has in working with the unions or following union work rules. The situation with the pilots is not singularly about economics. Without rehashing all the of the Drivers concerns with this contract, I will point out that SCOPE is where AS currently refuses to budge. And that is entirely based on Air Groups history of whipsawing both QX and AS employees over the years. My critique of Ben comes from my personal interactions with him, so it make sense that I would comment on what I saw in his personality. If it makes you feel any better, my same critique was shared with the entire leadership team, signed by me, on a number of employee engagement surveys during my tenure. I apologize if you were offended, but not for sharing my opinion in this thread. The current pilot shortage and operational issues with AS are 100% an AS leadership issue and could begin to be corrected immediately if they offered an industry standard contract. Cheers.
I think bring criticism of an individual’s personality and demeanor into a discussion is inappropriate, even if the person is a public figure. I would recommend sticking to actions and results that are less opinion-driven. With that said, management owns the current issues, even though negotiations require participation of 2 parties.

I would point out that the pilots have a creative definition of “industry standard,” which makes for a compelling public argument but a weaker negotiating position.
Old May 6, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
<snip>As soon as I landed at SEA a while ago, I had a message from AS that my flight to IAD on Saturday has been cancelled. It's absolutely insane that my response is to feel RELIEVED that I found out more than 40 hours beforehand, instead of it happening at the gate.</snip>
Some hours later, proactively, AS moved me to a flight departing the next day. But I just got notice that it too has been cancelled. Perhaps if I wait it out, my departing flight will eventually become later than my scheduled return? I do feel bad for the front-line folks having to deal with the fallout of all this.
Old May 6, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Today SJC departures - AS803 to OGG is cancelled - to PVR 4 hours late. LIH - 1 hour late, SEA - 3 hours late (MX) - the rest were due to pilots per expertflyer.
Old May 6, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
It seems Hawaii for the most part is being protected....NYC and IAD seems to be the first to go!
Old May 6, 2022, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP
Relax everyone. It is all due to being the first Friday in the 5th month of a year with three 2's.
Buster, wrp96 and Tack like this.
Old May 6, 2022, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by GumboCook
Relax everyone. It is all due to being the first Friday in the 5th month of a year with three 2's.
That is almost funny on a day when I don't have any scheduled travel
Old May 6, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Sounds like a setup for a Summer from Hell. If you know UA you know what that means.
With a special preview of the spring from hell already in progress

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.