Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Moving to (Harvey Milk) Terminal 1 at SFO in 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Moving to (Harvey Milk) Terminal 1 at SFO in 2024

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:50 pm

I am so happy to see the connector between International Terminal A and the rest of the airport is going to open on June 11.
I can now go to Alaska AIrlines lounge when flying BA, and even can walk all the way to AMEX Centurion lounge, if time permits.

Carfield
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Carfield
I am so happy to see the connector between International Terminal A and the rest of the airport is going to open on June 11.
Not A and B vs the rest?

So odd by the way that I never see the term concourse used with SFO.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Not A and B vs the rest?

So odd by the way that I never see the term concourse used with SFO.
A-B is already open, as is C-D-E-F-G. The missing link that's opening on June 11 is B-C.

SFO has pretty much always called them "Boarding Areas" rather than concourses. I'm not sure why, but there was probably a reason for it long ago. I'm honestly not sure how much the average traveler who wasn't parking at the airport ever paid attention to the boarding area letters until when all the gates were renumbered a few years ago.
vanillabean likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by char777
SFO has pretty much always called them "Boarding Areas" rather than concourses. I'm not sure why, but there was probably a reason for it long ago. I'm honestly not sure how much the average traveler who wasn't parking at the airport ever paid attention to the boarding area letters until when all the gates were renumbered a few years ago.
It's a mix of nomenclature; you have the two international "terminals" A and G, then terminal 1, 2, and 3, with 5 distinct "boarding areas" (B-F) split among them. The domestic "boarding area" nomenclature has become more prevalent in recent years, with the significant expansion of E and B.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a mix of nomenclature; you have the two international "terminals" A and G, then terminal 1, 2, and 3, with 5 distinct "boarding areas" (B-F) split among them. The domestic "boarding area" nomenclature has become more prevalent in recent years, with the significant expansion of E and B.
Even "boarding areas" seems less used, at least on the signage. I recall once airside (and possibly even some landside), the signage more typically refers to the A,B,...,G "Gates", with the letter in a square symbol.
Kacee and mildfrequence like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by econ
Even "boarding areas" seems less used, at least on the signage. I recall once airside (and possibly even some landside), the signage more typically refers to the A,B,...,G "Gates", with the letter in a square symbol.
Yeah there's not much consistency. Fortunately the actual layout is pretty logical once you get the hang of it.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah there's not much consistency. Fortunately the actual layout is pretty logical once you get the hang of it.
Still easier than North, Central and South Terminals! At least now, the gates generally don't need an A, B, etc. after the number (because each pier was limited to 10 purely numerical number gates).
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:55 pm

Looks like CSR is losing PP restaurant access (https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...t=share_button) which sucks, but makes the move a little bit less painful.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
A-B is already open, as is C-D-E-F-G. The missing link that's opening on June 11 is B-C.

Actually "piers" back in the 60s and 70s (B through G, with part of F being called FF because of the Y shape and the need for two decades of gate numbers). I think they dropped the terminology, at least at the UA/AA end, when they introduced the frontal gates in the then-new terminal.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dliesse
Actually "piers" back in the 60s and 70s (B through G, with part of F being called FF because of the Y shape and the need for two decades of gate numbers). I think they dropped the terminology, at least at the UA/AA end, when they introduced the frontal gates in the then-new terminal.
Are you sure there was a G pier before the new int'l terminal? And were not the destroyed gates (IIRC where US used until the end) A? You may be sure and correct as I never entered SFO until the 80s.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Are you sure there was a G pier before the new int'l terminal? And were not the destroyed gates (IIRC where US used until the end) A? You may be sure and correct as I never entered SFO until the 80s.
Yes.

Last edited by lolstebbo; Mar 28, 2024 at 10:21 am
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Wow. Had no idea that the letter sequencing once went the other direction. On the other hand, I'm not quite yet on Social Security!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:49 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Positive. Piers B and C, gates 10-18** and 20-28 respectively, were UA. Pier D, gates 30-39, was AW/RW, PS, DL (later moved to Pier FF), NW, and NA. Pier E, gates 40-49, was WC/RW, AA, OH*, and OC (might have been more at the highest numbers that I'm forgetting). Pier F, which include the left arm and both sides of the stem of the Y, gates 50-59, was TW, OH*, and WA while Pier FF, the right arm of the Y, gates in the 60s, was WA (and DL after they moved). Pier G, gates 70-79, was the international concourse. I flew exclusively UA (my dad worked for them) so not positive all the gate numbers went as high as x9; it's also possible the right-hand side of the stem of the Y actually had gate numbers in the 60s, although it was still considered Pier F.

The various commuter airlines were all over the place at different times.

*OH = San Francisco Helicopter Airline, in the way-before-Comair days. And yes, "Airline" was singular.

**If I remember correctly, and I may not in this case, gates 4 and 5 were also used. They were ground level gate areas for the 747s, with escalators to the upper level for boarding. There just wasn't enough seating up there for 300+ passengers going to Hawaii!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.