Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Moved to Terminal B - EWR (3/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
Shorter TSA lines? You have got to be kidding. I flew in to EWR on AS this week, into B55. Flying out of B44 maybe three hours later. Right smack into the nightmare and sh!tshow that is EWR B. Decided to head to the LH lounge near B60, knowing we would have to clear security twice. We both have PreCheck so how bad could it be, right? Entering B60, PreCheck is closed. This is around 5pm. Fine, we get through, spend half an hour getting something to eat in the LH lounge. Back out and go towards the B40's gates.

The line up for TSA stretched all along the corridor, out past the escalators. It was unbelievable. Two hours minimum. We had two hours before departure and there is no chance we would make it. We walked up the line on the off chance that PreCheck would be open. It was! Praise the deity of EWR. Except it wasn't. Once past the ID checker, there were three long lines and the sorter was saying that Pre was now closed. I could hear the woman on the far right line screaming at everyone. Shoes off! Liquids out! Laptops out! This isn't PreCheck! I could hear the middle lane guy yelling Laptops out! Shoes off! Liquids can stay, this is PreCheck Lite! I looked at the left lane and the woman looked absolutely bored silly. I picked that one. The sorter kept trying to herd me to the right but I was having none of it. Everyone in front of me, hearing the screaming from the other lanes, was removing shoes, liquids etc. I get to the front and asked if I had to remove shoes etc and she just shook her head, totally bored. And through we went. So in the same alleged PreCheck space, there was Pre, PreLite and NoPre depending on which line you chose, We made it to the gate as boarding began. No chance in hell that we would have even come close in the regular line.

Contrast that to when I flew in and out in January. Into A, out of A, two gates down. EWR is now off my list unless AS goes back to A.
B3 is full of INTL departures at that time of the day.

AS is not going back to A, and not going to the new A unless things change.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 7:45 am

Be careful about AS flights at EWR

Was delighted to learn that I would fly out of Terminal B at sEWeR as it has clear, PreCheck and decent food options. (AS moved to Terminal B as of 3/1). Well sEWeR Terminal B has three piers. I thought I would leave through the pier for gates b40 to b47 which has the good stuff. NOPE. For now, until possibly November, the PM flight from EWR to LAX flies out of the pier for b51 to b57. No clear, no PreCheck line and crappy food. Be forewarned. Yes that pier is better than Terminal A, just set your expectations (and timing) depending upon which set of gates you are departing from.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by planyi
Was delighted to learn that I would fly out of Terminal B at sEWeR as it has clear, PreCheck and decent food options. (AS moved to Terminal B as of 3/1). Well sEWeR Terminal B has three piers. I thought I would leave through the pier for gates b40 to b47 which has the good stuff. NOPE. For now, until possibly November, the PM flight from EWR to LAX flies out of the pier for b51 to b57. No clear, no PreCheck line and crappy food. Be forewarned. Yes that pier is better than Terminal A, just set your expectations (and timing) depending upon which set of gates you are departing from.
Yes and perhaps no. Specifically, you might be correct, that LAX flights might use those gates but AS can utilize any of their allocated gate in B40-B47 (I think B44 only), and B51-B57 pier gates. It all depends on timing. As someone had previously posted on a recent mileage run, inbound flight didn't operate the outbound flight and had to depart from the different pier. Do watch out for that scenario and associated TSA security clearance.

...and one more thing..... no American Airlines Lounge in B.

Jiburi
mildfrequence likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Mar 11, 2022 at 10:19 am Reason: Delete circular link after merge.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Senator lounge access possible with priority pass when flying AS metal?

So I am in the B1 gates and this wing sucks for hanging out before the flight.

Security was less than 5 mins with tsa pre.

Question, can I get into B3 Lufthansa Senator lounge with Alaska boarding pass to hang out and then walk over to b1 gates? I know I have to redo security. Want to note for next time
Old Mar 20, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
So I am in the B1 gates and this wing sucks for hanging out before the flight.

Security was less than 5 mins with tsa pre.

Question, can I get into B3 Lufthansa Senator lounge with Alaska boarding pass to hang out and then walk over to b1 gates? I know I have to redo security. Want to note for next time
No issues clearing security into B3 on an AS boarding pass. The LH lounge isn't large though and wasn't serving alcohol when I was there. If you are using PP, access times are restricted. The food offerings are miles ahead of any AC.

Keep in mind that you will need to clear security twice. Once to gain access to B3 and again to access B1/B2 depending on your departure gate. When I went for LH lounge access after 5:00 pm, B3 was security relatively light & TSA Pre was already in TSA Pre-Lite mode. Returning to B1 at ~6:30 pm, was a nightmare with the regular security line backed up to the entrance of B2; easily 90-120 minutes. The TSA Pre line was open but funneled into 3 lanes, only one of which was a true TSA Pre Check experience.

James
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
AS partner lounge at EWR?

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been answered previously, but what (if any) is the current partner lounge at EWR. I’ll be flying EWR-PDX in J and I have OWE status with QR. I see that since March 1st, AS EWR flights are out of terminal B1. The only OW lounge in B is the BA lounge, but I think that’s in B2. Def would appreciate any help, thanks!!
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
On the plane at EWR and just wanted to share my experience on my first flight from terminal B in EWR after many in terminal A.
after arriving around 2 and half hours before my flights departure (normally I would arrive later, but I decided to take the my subway connecting to the NJ transit, then connecting to the air tram, so I decided to leave my self some more time in case anything went wrong) I decided after consulting with an AS check in agent to take the AirTram again and head over to terminal A and get in the American lounge (I “consulted” with the AS check in agent, hoping to get some support in my idea of going to the AA lounge, but unfortunately the AS check in agent Clearly advised that I should not head to terminal A as I would likely miss my flight) despite what she said, I decided I was going to head over to the AA lounge. After clearing security in terminal A I made it to the small AA lounge. Yes I was able to enter it. Yes it is still on Alaska Airlines website as a valid lounge for lounge pass members. I was advised of terminal switch the AA lounge agent informed me that I should leave a lot of time to head over to Terminal B. Exactly what I was planning to do, I planned to leave the lounge around 30 to 45 minutes before boarding in case of any crazy terminal B TSA lines. Luckily I have TSA pre-check and that almost definitely saved me , As the normal TSA line had a sign saying 30 minutes wait. Luckily TSA pre-check was clear, beside for one guy in front of me, an airport employee, with 20 boxes of shirts all which had to go to the baggage scanner in front of me, I later found out that it was a delivery for an airport vendor. I made my way to terminal B, got Lucky and found a nice window seat. Just in time to see the SAS A330 on the taxi way behind me, That might be the only benefit to terminal B. Some planes that arent in most domestic terminals.
Will attach some photos from my journey in EWR
One photo shows the old Alaska check-in counter which is currently on unoccupied And roped off in terminal A

Old May 2, 2022, 6:11 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
So much for going to the EWR LH Senator Lounge to get some work done before the next business trip. The lounge is no longer part of the Priority Pass network at least no where to be found when I search their web-site. I guess it is stay at home as late as possible to work and then rough in the terminal before the flight. Gosh the B1 pier makes the terminal A piers look like an upgrade.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
So much for going to the EWR LH Senator Lounge to get some work done before the next business trip. The lounge is no longer part of the Priority Pass network at least no where to be found when I search their web-site. I guess it is stay at home as late as possible to work and then rough in the terminal before the flight. Gosh the B1 pier makes the terminal A piers look like an upgrade.
It seems to be a recent change. I was there in March but it seems to have pulled out as of April 4. Now the PP page says:

New York NJ Newark International (EWR)
Lufthansa Business Lounge
April 4, 2022
The Lufthansa Business Lounge located in Terminal B is not available for access until further notice.

https://prioritypass.com/en/lounge-u...america&page=5
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:28 pm

B1 - Precheck Lite

Does anyone know when the B1 precheck line goes into lite mode? I'll be going to through around 4pm and was curious if anyone has experience during that time.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Good experience at clear this morning. All lines were clearly marked. Right side precheck. Center clear. Left regular.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: IHG Plat(Ambssdr on occasion), Hyatt Explr(2023), AS Mileage Plan, Rapid Rewards, Bonvoy Plat
Crappy experience at Terminal B last night.

Somehow EWR-SFO(maybe it's always?) was from B60 so in the B3 wing with all the International Flights. B3 DID NOT HAVE PRE-CHECK. So stuck in regular line for like 30 minutes. At the very end, they did let us go through the regular metal detector with shoes as opposed to the full body scanner. According to EWR website map, it shows pre-ckeck at B3. Maybe it's once in awhile? Or maybe guard lady made a mistake at the Priority line? which she said was based on airline status only.

There appears to be 1 seat for every 3 flyers in B3. There was a flight to Iceland at B61 so there was like 300 people shoved in that corner of the Terminal as they were boarding within like 5 minutes of each other.
Total mess.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Hope there are long-term plans to either replace TB or connect the piers post-security.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Resplendent
Hope there are long-term plans to either replace TB or connect the piers post-security.
Some day it may happen but the question is will any of us still be alive to see it be completed?
Old Jul 7, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I try to avoid EWR whenever possible if flying AS.
minhaoxue likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.