Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Fiji Airways (FJ) Promo Is Back (Double Miles and Reduced Redemption Rates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fiji Airways (FJ) Promo Is Back (Double Miles and Reduced Redemption Rates)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2022, 4:24 am

intra south pacific

anyone knows if it is possible to book intra-islands? The website is kind of glitchy, it is technically possible to do like FUN-SUV-NAN-TBU, but it is not possible in the booking page. Will calling help? Trying to piece some epic trip to Tuvalu and Tonga but it seems like it has to involve NZ/OZ/America in some way? One way FUN-SUV-NAN or NAN-TBU works but not as a thru ticket. AS and its magical IT never fails to fail me.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So if I wanted to use this deal to go to Fiji -- or the other Pacific islands they fly to -- would anyone have an itinerary recommendation?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beyounged
anyone knows if it is possible to book intra-islands? The website is kind of glitchy, it is technically possible to do like FUN-SUV-NAN-TBU, but it is not possible in the booking page. Will calling help? Trying to piece some epic trip to Tuvalu and Tonga but it seems like it has to involve NZ/OZ/America in some way? One way FUN-SUV-NAN or NAN-TBU works but not as a thru ticket. AS and its magical IT never fails to fail me.
I wouldn't even bother. None of these other islands are opening up to tourists in the next few years.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
I wouldn't even bother. None of these other islands are opening up to tourists in the next few years.
well, at least it is worth trying right? and maybe they will follow OZ and NZ's leads given that they have become so dependant on them. I hope to book a simple rt to FUN and see how it goes. except there is absolutely no information about Tuvalu travels these days haha
There is always free cancellation and redeposit of miles.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Before the Pandemic began, I had an AS award itinerary on the last FJ sale to Vanuatu (VLI) and returning from the Solomon Islands (HIR). My dreams of traveling to those islands in the South Pacific was dashed because of the pandemic so I’m kind of excited to see Alaska offer this sale again.

However none of these islands are open right now to tourism so I’m thinking of booking for later in the year in the hope they open up. If not then I will just cancel and redeposit the awards even though Fiji would be fun to travel to.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Before the Pandemic began, I had an AS award itinerary on the last FJ sale to Vanuatu (VLI) and returning from the Solomon Islands (HIR). My dreams of traveling to those islands in the South Pacific was dashed because of the pandemic so I’m kind of excited to see Alaska offer this sale again.

However none of these islands are open right now to tourism so I’m thinking of booking for later in the year in the hope they open up. If not then I will just cancel and redeposit the awards even though Fiji would be fun to travel to.
yeah, I am thinking about the same. Free stopover in NAN anyway, there is nothing to lose. Also for your journey it is relatively cheap to take a flight VLI-HIR, but FUN-TBU would be much much more expensive, so I need the AS IT to work for this kind of combined trip to happen.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yeah, I am thinking about the same. Free stopover in NAN anyway, there is nothing to lose. Also for your journey it is relatively cheap to take a flight VLI-HIR, but FUN-TBU would be much much more expensive, so I need the AS IT to work for this kind of combined trip to happen.
Thanks. I was thinking of booking for November and taking my chances. Given the latest Covid waves hitting Europe and Asia, I'm not sure those chances are great, but what do I have to lose? If you could choose one of the islands Fiji Airways flies to for a nice vacation (hopefully with affordable lodging or a chain hotel I could use points at), which island would it be?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:43 pm

I've been to Samoa, which is heaven on earth, but I want to try new destinations. I've also done the United island hopper and stopped in Marshall Islands, Micronesia, and Palau. I quite like Pacific Islands.

I booked two one ways. The flight to Vanuatu has to go through Nadi anyway. If Vanuatu is closed, I will stay in Fiji.

Outbound: BOS-SFO-NAN-VLI-NAN (Stopover in VLI)
Return: NAN-SFO-BOS

Vanuatu announced its reopening plan this month, but right after they did, they got hit hard by its first community transmission the entire pandemic. The reopening plan is tied to vaccination rates, which are low, but the targets for reopening are high. The recent covid-19 outbreak may change targets.

Old Mar 19, 2022, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Euteanzoic7216
I've been to Samoa, which is heaven on earth, but I want to try new destinations. I've also done the United island hopper and stopped in Marshall Islands, Micronesia, and Palau. I quite like Pacific Islands.

I booked two one ways. The flight to Vanuatu has to go through Nadi anyway. If Vanuatu is closed, I will stay in Fiji.

Outbound: BOS-SFO-NAN-VLI-NAN (Stopover in VLI)
Return: NAN-SFO-BOS
Thanks. I think I'll try for Fiji and Samoa. Should I visit a neighboring island beyond the one Nadi is on? Which one? How expensive would it be to get there?
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:07 pm
vji

Lucked out on this one. Booked EWR-LAX-NAN-MEL before the sale was happening at 55k miles each (there was a whole month of J availability in March). Sale happened and rebooked the EWR-LAX segment to an earlier time. Kept the same overwater segments and saved 15k on 2 tickets
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, so I decided to book a trip to Fiji and Samoa for next fall. Fingers crossed we actually get to go. I applaud Alaska for making their website partner booking tool quite easy to use, even for multi-city (stopover) bookings. It would have been nice had Alaska allowed me to use AA flights (instead of the more limited Alaska service) to get to California, but them's the rules, I suppose. As others have noted, I didn't see any Fiji business class availability, but coach is pretty easy to find. FWIW, the A330s are flying to SFO and the A350s are flying to LAX in the fall. Not sure which aircraft is actually better in coach - I suppose it depends on the loads, which are unpredictable.

My Alaska confirmation email gave me Fiji Airways' confirmation code, which is different from Alaska's. I used that on Fiji to assign us seats. Fiji is VERY stingy with free seat assignments, like the back fifth of the plane. I am an Alaska gold elite. If I call Fiji and tell them my oneworld Ruby status, would that open up any more free seat assignments?
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
OK, so I decided to book a trip to Fiji and Samoa for next fall. Fingers crossed we actually get to go. I applaud Alaska for making their website partner booking tool quite easy to use, even for multi-city (stopover) bookings. It would have been nice had Alaska allowed me to use AA flights (instead of the more limited Alaska service) to get to California, but them's the rules, I suppose. As others have noted, I didn't see any Fiji business class availability, but coach is pretty easy to find. FWIW, the A330s are flying to SFO and the A350s are flying to LAX in the fall. Not sure which aircraft is actually better in coach - I suppose it depends on the loads, which are unpredictable.

My Alaska confirmation email gave me Fiji Airways' confirmation code, which is different from Alaska's. I used that on Fiji to assign us seats. Fiji is VERY stingy with free seat assignments, like the back fifth of the plane. I am an Alaska gold elite. If I call Fiji and tell them my oneworld Ruby status, would that open up any more free seat assignments?
I think the aircraft type (330 vs 350) matters more for J than Y for Fiji airways. I flew the A350 in coach SYD-NAN-LAX in 2020 and found it fine. The plane was super empty. The Fiji Airways lounge in Nadi is fantastic and a Priority Pass lounge.

As for Samoa, it has a lot fewer tourists than Fiji, and accommodations will be less fancy. Samoa is also still closed due to the pandemic. I only visited Upolu, the island the capital, Apia is located. There are two places with beach fales on Lalumanu beach (the best beach I visited there). There is also the Return to Paradise resort on the south central side of the island, which is fancier. It was completely empty when I visited, and it was strange having the resort to myself. There is one ring road that goes around the island in good condition and easy to drive on with little traffic if you rent a car (albeit on the left side of the road). Stop at places such as the Togitogiga Waterfall and the Ta Sua Trench. Savaii, the other island, looks pretty great, but I didn't have time to visit. I would also love to visit American Samoa some day. One of my goals is to visit every US American park. I'm over 3/4 of the way done, but I still need to visit National Park of American Samoa.

For Fiji, I have not visited other than transiting through the airport. I am excited to visit this time.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx

If traveling as a couple, you'll want the A330s with the window/aisle combos and no middles on both sides....the A350 unfortunately are 3 seats across on both sides.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
If traveling as a couple, you'll want the A330s with the window/aisle combos and no middles on both sides....the A350 unfortunately are 3 seats across on both sides.
Definitely true IF the plane is full. But if the plane is not full, the situation changes. I know the world is unpredictable these days, but what kind of loads does Fiji Airways run?
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:16 pm

welp, forget about FUN, FJ just had some wonky change of routing logic, SUV-FUN and NAN-SUV both can be booked on AS, but once married it cannot be booked, FUN is officially off the table. Anyone recommend a cool place to go that is included in this promotion?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.