Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Redeeming points for YVR-SEA is poor value?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2022, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I'm looking at some short cross-border flights to see if they're good value redemptions. I was shocked at some of the prices that I saw for one-way flights. It ranges from as low as 10k to as high as 15k. Maybe I misunderstood something, but I thought AS wasn't dynamic? Seems a bit expensive for YVR-SEA?
Old Jan 28, 2022, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by lsquare
It ranges from as low as 10k to as high as 15k. Maybe I misunderstood something, but I thought AS wasn't dynamic?
You thought wrong. Something the bloggers pushing credit cards and CX F don’t mention: AS went to multiple tier pricing on their own metal a long time ago, and did additional changes such that (for example) long domestic flights in Saver F are 30k, not 25k (you can actually book them cheaper on AA). AS does have some places where you can find value on AS metal (Alaska sometimes, or Mountain West, Mexico, or Hawaii), but a lot of the time it’s just like DL or WN where 1.X CPM is about what you’re going to get.

Frankly if it wasn’t for partner premium redemptions (and their NEW partner redemption rates are bad), AS wouldn’t be that much different from DL SkyPesos in terms of value on awards.
lsquare and ft543 like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 28, 2022 at 10:04 am
Old Jan 28, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
YVR-SEA AS redemption only made sense when I was booking a last minute flight and the one way would be $300 vs. the miles price at 12.5K or so (even then, not that great of a redemption vs. long haul J). But given there's no longer any cancellation policies, now I tend to just book a handful of dates at ~$100 each way during a fare sale and then cancel/redeposit into my wallet as needed. Alternatively, its 7500 Avios each way on this route, but taxes out of YVR will be ~$60 vs. ~$6 out of SEA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.