Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

British Airways Seat Selection for AS (oneworld) Elites - What's the Latest Trick?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways Seat Selection for AS (oneworld) Elites - What's the Latest Trick?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
For some reason when AS sends your FF# with the reservation, it sometimes isn't "readable" by the BA website. It shows up in the reservation, but completely unusable. Don't know why. Asked one and never really got an answer. Delete and replace seems to be the only fix.
This is beyond annoying, but hopefully as AS becomes a regular member of OW it won't be an issue? In the meantime, deleting and re-adding did in fact work for me.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:23 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
How does this work for J seats?

I'm looking to book the BA A350 SAN-LHR in J, I'm assuming I won't get caught up in a seat selection fee. Will ba.com then let me select a seat without calls and manually removing my FF number?
Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
How does this work for J seats?

I'm looking to book the BA A350 SAN-LHR in J, I'm assuming I won't get caught up in a seat selection fee. Will ba.com then let me select a seat without calls and manually removing my FF number?
The delete and re-enter solution seems to be for when you book an AS award ticket. If you're purchasing the ticket, you should be able to select seats for free shortly after you've completed the booking. If you attempt to select seats during the purchases process, the system doesn't yet know your OW status and will attempt to charge.
QT31415 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just bought a BA TATL J ticket and had no problem picking seats using my AS number.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS 100K
i just bought a BA J award on AS. Went to the BA site to select seats and it wanted to charge me. So I re-entered my FFN in the BA site and it finally recognized my OWE status, allowing me to select seats for free.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by zdfld
There seems to be 3 sets of advice: 1) Use a partner site to reenter the number 2) Have a BAEC account 3) Call AS and ask them to remove and re-enter the number/re submit it.

3) Is what worked for me, as a 100K elite. Unfortunately the agent wasn't sure either. I just told them BA couldn't verify Emerald status, and requested a resubmission.
i booked BA award. J class, using AS miles

i notice i cant choose any seats unless i pay. same problem - AS FF# is reflected on the award booking

also, i am a nobody (zero status) on both AS and BAEC

does this mean i cant choose any seats at all even if i do one of the 3 solutions above?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
i booked BA award. J class, using AS miles

i notice i cant choose any seats unless i pay. same problem - AS FF# is reflected on the award booking

also, i am a nobody (zero status) on both AS and BAEC

does this mean i cant choose any seats at all even if i do one of the 3 solutions above?
Correct, you must have One World status to choose seats in advance without payment.
gnomey likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS
Just booked BA club World J.
Could not find any SEA departures that actually ticketed. Same with LAX. Phantom Space. ( really wanted to fly F again)
Finally, tried DEN and had success . DEN/ LHR/ HAM in J
Lucky we have status this year and were able to select seats on both flights after following advice given above.
DEN / LHR is 350-1000 so forward cabin is Club World. We have row 1.
Now, just have to buy SEA to DEN.

Last edited by pcoll; Oct 2, 2022 at 1:13 pm
Old Oct 2, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
Just booked BA club World J.
Could not find any SEA departures that actually ticketed. Same with LAX. Phantom Space. ( really wanted to fly F again)
Finally, tried DEN and had success . DEN/ LHR/ HAM in J
Lucky we have status this year and were able to select seats on both flights after following advice given above.
DEN / LHR is 350-1000 so forward cabin is Club World. We have row 1.
Now, just have to buy SEA to DEN.
And you have the (relatively) new Club Suites. Row 1 is pretty good, though note that on our last flight they blocked the forward lavatory for crew use only. Not sure about that on the previous flight as we were in row 11 (also good as you get some extra storage space behind you).

BTW: I guess you are aware that the BA fuel surcharge ex-EU is way lower than ex-US, so never book a return ex-US, book 2 one-ways. Or even better a return from the EU if you can plan that far in advance for 2 trips.
pcoll likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 10:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond; Alaska MVP Gold
Experienced the same issue today as many others expressed despite being Sapphire / 75K. Booked BA award ticket on AS (SFO > LHR > FC)) and when I went to BA site to find my seats, it prompted me to pay. I called BA customer support and someone answered immediately; they were able to update my account by reentering my AS FF# and shortly after I was able to choose all of my seats for free.

Question as I'm a newbie in booking award travel with status with BA. Nowhere on my reservation does it note I am One World Sapphire or Alaska 75K — it only shows my FF#. I want to make sure I can access the lounge, use priority check-in/boarding, and be considered for an upgrade on the waitlist. Should my status appear on the reservation somewhere? Or will this reconcile itself upon check-in? Also slightly concerned because my BA status is Blue but as mentioned previously I attached my AS FF# to this flight to reap all the benefits. Any insight with those who have experience with this would be appreciated!
Old Oct 11, 2022, 2:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MFtraveler

Question as I'm a newbie in booking award travel with status with BA. Nowhere on my reservation does it note I am One World Sapphire or Alaska 75K — it only shows my FF#. I want to make sure I can access the lounge, use priority check-in/boarding, and be considered for an upgrade on the waitlist. Should my status appear on the reservation somewhere? Or will this reconcile itself upon check-in? Also slightly concerned because my BA status is Blue but as mentioned previously I attached my AS FF# to this flight to reap all the benefits. Any insight with those who have experience with this would be appreciated!
AS MVPG75K Elites hold oneworld Emerald Status. It is your Emerald status that allows you to choose seats at booking without charge. Your reservation won't reflect your Status directly but it will allow you to manage your booking with any associated benefits.

Once you check-in for the flight, your boarding pass will reflect your Emerald Staus and indicate Fast Track for Security in LHR. The QR will also be coded with your Emerald status so there shouldn't be any issues with lounge access.

If you Blue Basic Status with BAEC was in the reservation, you would not have been able to choose seats without charge.

From BA Website:

James
Old Oct 11, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond; Alaska MVP Gold
Thank you for the correction and insight — I am indeed Emerald. Great to see all the benefits and know that despite not showing on the reservation, my status is attached to the reservation.

Does anyone here have experience booking award travel and then being upgraded via a status/waitlist? Also open to knowing if the opportunity exists to upgrade using miles or not outrageous cash fees. For context, when I booked the flights there were no business tickets available and I could only get premium on one leg of the trip.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
AS MVPG75K Elites hold oneworld Emerald Status. It is your Emerald status that allows you to choose seats at booking without charge. Your reservation won't reflect your Status directly but it will allow you to manage your booking with any associated benefits.

Once you check-in for the flight, your boarding pass will reflect your Emerald Staus and indicate Fast Track for Security in LHR. The QR will also be coded with your Emerald status so there shouldn't be any issues with lounge access.

If you Blue Basic Status with BAEC was in the reservation, you would not have been able to choose seats without charge.

James

Last edited by dayone; Oct 11, 2022 at 11:05 am Reason: Redact quoted image for readability.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 6:57 pm

I just ran into this issue - the easiest way was to go to Finnair manage booking, using BA's reference number, and add your Alaska Airlines number there under passenger details. This triggered the update and free seat benefit in BA's manage booking.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I just ran into this issue - the easiest way was to go to Finnair manage booking, using BA's reference number, and add your Alaska Airlines number there under passenger details. This triggered the update and free seat benefit in BA's manage booking.
Unfortunately in my case, I don't see an option to enter my Alaska FF# under passenger details on the BA website. Maybe it's because somehow my reservation has an AA "membership number" listed, a number that I don't recognize, but I did make the reservation on the AA website using AA miles.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Over the last month, I've made a number of award reservations (maybe 6) on BA, half using AS miles with the other half using AA miles. I used my AS MP # in all of the reservations. In each case, I had to call BA to get free seats for the AS awards while I could do it online at BA without a fee for the AA awards. It's ironic that AA does a better job of communicating my AS Emerald status (75k) to BA than AS does, although given AA & BA's long history together in OW, I guess it shouldn't be so surprising.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.