Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

British Airways Seat Selection for AS (oneworld) Elites - What's the Latest Trick?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways Seat Selection for AS (oneworld) Elites - What's the Latest Trick?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)

We have had issues selecting seats in advance (75K, OW Emerald) on BA since ....forever. Have used the Finnair work-around once and on our last BA flight it worked smoothly, but we've just booked two more tickets and both will not allow complimentary seat selection. Finnair also is not allowing addition of FF number to reservation. I've searched here and on the BA board, but not coming up with any answers. I'm relying on FT'ers to tell me the latest, greatest fix. Hubby is racing me on hold with partner desk to see who can fix it first. It's another exciting night in the suburbs.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Hilton Diamond
I just dealt with this yesterday. Log into your account on BA. Click on the top part where it says something like “ Mr/Mrs X” with a head symbol next to it. This should bring up a list of your flights you have in your account. You need to scroll down to it. Next to the flight on the right you will see “add frequent flyer number”. Click on that and add your AS ff number. You have to add it here even if you did it somewhere else before.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just booked two flights on BA as part of an AA-issued ticket, and had no trouble adding my AS number during booking. Then went to BA website and used the record locator to pull up itinerary. Website recognized OWE status and seat selection was free.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I just booked two flights on BA as part of an AA-issued ticket, and had no trouble adding my AS number during booking. Then went to BA website and used the record locator to pull up itinerary. Website recognized OWE status and seat selection was free.
Does this work for intra-Europe flights as well?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 9:32 am

I find it doesn’t allow seat selection during booking but if I go to manage my flights it works just fine.
Jimmyco likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Last year, I initially added my BA FF number but have Emerald Status on Alaska so wanted to change it which you can not yet do on the BA site. I used the Qatar Airlines site to change it. You can look up your OW reservation there but inputting your BA confirmation code. Once the reservation has been found, you can change your FF number to Alaska. Save your changes then go back to the BA site and it should now show your AS FF # which should allow you to make free seat selections on all BA flights. Some seats are blocked specifically for BA elites until 24-48 hours before departure but all other seats should be selectable if they have not been already.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:56 am
Original Poster

I was able to locate my bookings on both QF and Finnair. On all the bookings, our FF number is correct. However, still unable to select seats. I guess my question is - are our FF numbers finally linked to our OW status? They weren't linked at the time of our last BA purchase, but after all this time I expected it to be easier.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Hilton Diamond
Follow instructions given above. I was able to enter my FF number and select seats immediately. Before inputting the FF number as described I was unable to select seats for free. I was able to select seats for free almost immediately after associating the FF number as described. I must conclude the OneWorld status is recognized by BA. I also helped a friend with the same problem and she got the same results. No need to try Finnair or Qatar.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Also wondering what the trick is here... My booking on BA as well as Finnair both show my AS number, which is MVP Gold so oneworld Sapphire, but I still can't select seats.

Only other thing I can think of is that I made this booking and applied my AS number before I qualified for Sapphire status, so maybe I need to remove and re-apply although I don't see a way to do that
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:21 am

I have the same issue ... I made a BA booking using AS miles two days ago. My AS number (I am MVP gold) is in the BA reservation but BA does not appear to recognize my status and wants to charge me to select seats.

Originally Posted by remyjette
Also wondering what the trick is here... My booking on BA as well as Finnair both show my AS number, which is MVP Gold so oneworld Sapphire, but I still can't select seats.

Only other thing I can think of is that I made this booking and applied my AS number before I qualified for Sapphire status, so maybe I need to remove and re-apply although I don't see a way to do that
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Follow the above post for re-adding the AS MP number directly on BA's site. It corrects the issue. I just went through the same on two different reservations. Its like it doesn't get added to the proper table on the backend.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rune87
Follow the above post for re-adding the AS MP number directly on BA's site. It corrects the issue. I just went through the same on two different reservations. Its like it doesn't get added to the proper table on the backend.
Thanks all! Called the partner desk and they could see my FF number on the reservation and it was attached to my OW status. Still couldn't select seats. Finally, went and signed up for an BA Executive account (something I've avoided doing, because so many accounts...) and entered all my info including AS FF number. Voila, worked fine. Was able to enter my husband's FF number into the same booking and achieve seat assignments for him too.
Moebius likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by QT31415
Thanks all! Called the partner desk and they could see my FF number on the reservation and it was attached to my OW status. Still couldn't select seats. Finally, went and signed up for an BA Executive account (something I've avoided doing, because so many accounts...) and entered all my info including AS FF number. Voila, worked fine. Was able to enter my husband's FF number into the same booking and achieve seat assignments for him too.
And you're able to still choose to earn the miles on your AS account without any issues by going this route, it's not just recognizing your oneworld status from AS while crediting to BA?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:15 pm

Thanks! Signing up for BAEC was the key for me, too. With a mere non-BAEC account I could not change the FF number in the booking.

Originally Posted by QT31415
QT31415 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moebius
Thanks! Signing up for BAEC was the key for me, too. With a mere non-BAEC account I could not change the FF number in the booking.
It's still glitchy - I have to re-enter my AS number for each booking, and the first entry says "error" but if you click again it accepts it. I kinda feel like a poor relation in the OW family.
Moebius and NoLaGent like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.