Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Qualified for Gold and have mixed feelings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qualified for Gold and have mixed feelings

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Being IAH based, I worked hard to requalify for MVPG. Must be addicted to the chocolate bars. Totally worth the effort.
I'll wait for How I Spent $10,000 To Get $100 Worth Of Chocolate to come out in paperback.
985X and mtofell like this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The FF game is all transactional. AS made a business decision to attempt to retain our business by giving us extra perks. We made a business decision to continue to fly AS because of these perks. Unless we're living in the 49th and have a lot of intrastate travel, we all have a choice of airline.
I thought they did some pretty clever things while doing it. The first half of the year they priced F for most of my trips at about 1 checked bag more than main. I was going to get upgrades on all those flights because there were so few people flying, but with that pricing and throwing in the 1.5x multiplier, they basically said "hey, help us with our cash flow now and we'll return the favor later this year and next by giving you more rides in the comfy seats when/if pricing gets back to normal." So I did, and they've been holding up their end, and even helping me out with their friends over at AA. And because they just did it with EQM and not RDM, they didn't put any liabilities on the books - upgrades are entirely space available, so if they overdid it, they aren't going to be stuck with a bunch of people holding miles that they have to devalue, just a long waitlist for F seats.
Waitlisted, SimonT007 and scrumbum like this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I thought they did some pretty clever things while doing it. The first half of the year they priced F for most of my trips at about 1 checked bag more than main. I was going to get upgrades on all those flights because there were so few people flying, but with that pricing and throwing in the 1.5x multiplier, they basically said "hey, help us with our cash flow now and we'll return the favor later this year and next by giving you more rides in the comfy seats when/if pricing gets back to normal." So I did, and they've been holding up their end, and even helping me out with their friends over at AA. And because they just did it with EQM and not RDM, they didn't put any liabilities on the books - upgrades are entirely space available, so if they overdid it, they aren't going to be stuck with a bunch of people holding miles that they have to devalue, just a long waitlist for F seats.
More elites (especially as a OW member) are more liabilities on the books - but not to the extent of RDMs. You think that OWE fancy lounge access grows on trees?
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
A lot of those folks are FAI-SEA-->Onward, so earning LOTS of miles and making that trip fairly often. Oilfield workers and seasonal fishermen/deck hands going back and forth.
FAI is 300 miles inland…not exactly a commercial fishing hub. Also ANC is the air transit hub for oil workers…FAI gets very little of that traffic to/from the slope.

Originally Posted by davistev
Just for interest regardiung the value of Gold status - My recent FAI-SEA flight had 45 Golds on it according to the flight attendant. I guess a lot of workers going "home" for Xmas.
I never imagined such a route would have that many Golds. I envisioned a routing such as JFK-SEA would see such a thing.
Lots of Golds and above who are based in FAI…isolated town with limited non-AS options in the winter. Fairbanksans travel a lot.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
In part due to the reduced schedule from the east coast, I qualified for 75K w/o a single AS flight to/from my home airport. Overall, I only flew on 6 paid AS flight (elsewhere) and a boat load of AA flights crediting to AS.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I will be in the new 100k level next year.. Did I "earn it"? I guess so. Am I elated? Happy but would not say elated based on the limited benefits (at least the first year), I sat on AS metal for 61k (25 segments) and with a some of those in paid F from OGG-SJC/SFO. Those got me to about 70K and I would have made at least 75k under the old qualification criteria with probably one mileage run. Add in the 1.5 eqm and carry over miles from 2020 and I was over 100 eqm by late summer. When the Visa spend offer came out I was already over 100k miles and even thought I probably spent 20k on my card, I was not credited any more eqms and those miles would not matter anyway...i would just have ended the year with 170k eqm instead of 150k. Did all the offers help me get to 100k? The 1.5 bonus and the carry over miles did (not the visa spend as mentioned above).

So a long way of saying I will take my 100k and hope to get as many upgrades on my monthly OGG-SJC/SFO trips as I can.
SimonT007 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
The FF game is all transactional. AS made a business decision to attempt to retain our business by giving us extra perks. We made a business decision to continue to fly AS because of these perks. Unless we're living in the 49th and have a lot of intrastate travel, we all have a choice of airline.
Yeah, our options are a bit limited. Will become moreso next year it seems as well.

Just for interest regardiung the value of Gold status - My recent FAI-SEA flight had 45 Golds on it according to the flight attendant. I guess a lot of workers going "home" for Xmas.
I never imagined such a route would have that many Golds. I envisioned a routing such as JFK-SEA would see such a thing.
Upgrades can be tough on this route- almost as bad as SEA-ANC. Heck- I'm missing out on ANC-FAI some days.

Originally Posted by Chugach
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
A lot of those folks are FAI-SEA-->Onward, so earning LOTS of miles and making that trip fairly often. Oilfield workers and seasonal fishermen/deck hands going back and forth.
FAI is 300 miles inland…not exactly a commercial fishing hub. Also ANC is the air transit hub for oil workers…FAI gets very little of that traffic to/from the slope.

Lots of Golds and above who are based in FAI…isolated town with limited non-AS options in the winter. Fairbanksans travel a lot.
Yeah, I don't think the nonstop to the slope runs anymore from FAI. Nor to BRW.
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k
I've been 75k for a few years, I qualified for 100k status for next year but only flew 54k miles. Kind of odd but I'll take it.
anteater and tonylop33 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
It is what it is. Business/marketing decision for AS and you/we as the customer will respond accordingly. Very frequently flier makes individual decisions based upon individual needs/circumstances.

TBH- I’m based in seattle so either AS or Delta will get the majority of my business. If the situation changes “significantly “ for either I will adjust accordingly. I’m probably 2-3 years from million miles on AS but this is not the driving factor anymore. The driving factor is flight availability, times, frequency, reliability, service and cost since 95% of my business travel is self funded. These last 2 years our travel budget/spend has decreased by at least 35-40% with no impact on our business. I don’t see this changing. I’ll be 100K status when this arrives and OK with 75K or MVPG

Summary, it’s not personal it’s just business
Old Dec 20, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz Five Star
I had been Gold or 75K for the past decade prior to 2017. Then a couple of layoffs put me to MVP or worse, and then COVID put me out completely. I am VERY happy to get back to Gold next year as I will fly enough to maintain it.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Come to think of it, the only mixed feelings I want with my status onboard come with a glass, ice, a mini bottle or two, and a mixer. (And maybe one day, with a real 🍋 )
eponymous_coward and anteater like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:01 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Come to think of it, the only mixed feelings I want with my status onboard come with a glass, ice, a mini bottle or two, and a mixer. (And maybe one day, with a real 🍋 )
I have grown fond of the powdered lime from a packet on AS. At last, a true enhancement.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have grown fond of the powdered lime...
Out of context, either therapy is in order, or there's a special app that most of us have never heard of!
Flying for Fun and scrumbum like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Ah...so 4 GGU is not enough to stir any feelings. Maybe try 75k next year to see if 50k bonus RDM & 4 lounge pass are able to do anything different???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.