Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

New access policy for Alaska Lounge + members at DCA United Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2021, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Just a heads up....while the United Club at DCA is indeed open for Alaska Lounge members (with a UA or AS boarding pass), they no longer allow immediate family members of the lounge member entry. I got denied entry this evening since I had my wife and two kids. The UA Club agent said the policy is now 2 adults or 1 adult/1 child. We ended up walking down to the AC and enjoying some fresh guacamole so it wasn't a big deal but next time I won't waste my time walking down to the United Club if I'm traveling with my family. There is nothing on the Alaska Lounge information page about this exception to their general access policy so I dropped a note to their Twitter team. Is this the only partner lounge that limits access to 2 guests only?
Old Nov 13, 2021, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Sounds like UA jacked up the price of additional guests and AS said "um, no."
Old Nov 13, 2021, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Sounds like UA jacked up the price of additional guests and AS said "um, no."
Lol...yeah, sounds about right.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Just a heads up....while the United Club at DCA is indeed open for Alaska Lounge members (with a UA or AS boarding pass), they no longer allow immediate family members of the lounge member entry. I got denied entry this evening since I had my wife and two kids. The UA Club agent said the policy is now 2 adults or 1 adult/1 child. We ended up walking down to the AC and enjoying some fresh guacamole so it wasn't a big deal but next time I won't waste my time walking down to the United Club if I'm traveling with my family. There is nothing on the Alaska Lounge information page about this exception to their general access policy so I dropped a note to their Twitter team. Is this the only partner lounge that limits access to 2 guests only?
I was there this morning, nothing but some badly burned coffee, yogurt and fruit cuts. It’s located at a hidden corner of the terminal. I wouldn’t want to trek there in the future.

how about the Admiral Club?

DCA connects all but 1-9 gates post-security, starting Nov 8.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mahogany
I was there this morning, nothing but some badly burned coffee, yogurt and fruit cuts. It’s located at a hidden corner of the terminal. I wouldn’t want to trek there in the future.

how about the Admiral Club?

DCA connects all but 1-9 gates post-security, starting Nov 8.
We found the AC Club in the B Concourse not too far of a walk from the AS gates...plenty of seating and great snacks including the previously mentioned gucamole. It's location is a bit hidden so it's easy to miss if you've never been there before.
Mahogany likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 5:00 pm

We found the AC Club in the B Concourse not too far of a walk from the AS gates...plenty of seating and great snacks including the previously mentioned gucamole. It's location is a bit hidden so it's easy to miss if you've never been there before.
haven’t been to United club for a few years, it is still the same disappointment.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 7:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Mahogany
haven’t been to United club for a few years, it is still the same disappointment.
The United Club at DCA isn’t great, but what I do like is it’s very unique location and history. It’s an oval shaped structure on top of the old terminal building, apparently in its hey day it was a pretty fancy restaurant. Despite it being very average I still like it.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
The United Club at DCA isn’t great, but what I do like is it’s very unique location and history. It’s an oval shaped structure on top of the old terminal building, apparently in its hey day it was a pretty fancy restaurant. Despite it being very average I still like it.
for anyone who appreciates DCA nostalgia, it’s a great venue … but I’ll agree that the convenience factor pretty much disappears when comparing to an AC now that everything at DCA is connected airside
jsguyrus likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
while the United Club at DCA is indeed open for Alaska Lounge members (with a UA or AS boarding pass)
Is entry with UA boarding pass to the UCs also a recent development?

I see it mentions that on the website now for the few UCs that AS partners with, but for some reason I thought before one had to be flying AS to get access with an AL membership.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by econ
Is entry with UA boarding pass to the UCs also a recent development?

I see it mentions that on the website now for the few UCs that AS partners with, but for some reason I thought before one had to be flying AS to get access with an AL membership.
A same day boarding pass has been a UC access requirement for quite some time.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
This could be somewhat good for me, DCA had no AMex lounge, no PP (Select / the one with Amex) and, no Alaska lounge ...

I have few AS lounge passes that I need to burn ... Hope it works .. checking with AS now

Check with AS: no AS day pass

Last edited by ccna101; Nov 14, 2021 at 8:33 am
Old Nov 14, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Collierkr
A same day boarding pass has been a UC access requirement for quite some time.
Yes, but I thought that until recently it might have been AS boarding pass only when accessing the partner UCs with an AL membership.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econ
Yes, but I thought that until recently it might have been AS boarding pass only when accessing the partner UCs with an AL membership.
Maybe that's a way UA can try to steal away some AS flyers by allowing AS Lounge members to access some of their United Clubs with the AL membership....just a thought....it is an odd policy again. Honestly I probably won't return to that UC at DCA since the AC a better option in my book.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe that's a way UA can try to steal away some AS flyers by allowing AS Lounge members to access some of their United Clubs with the AL membership....just a thought....it is an odd policy again. Honestly I probably won't return to that UC at DCA since the AC a better option in my book.
At one point, you could use any same-day boarding pass to access US lounges with the AmEx Plat/Centurion charge card, despite other airline lounges (DL and at least one other at the time) requiring boarding passes for their own flights. The latter requirement was strictly enforced even for a codeshare partner arrangement that even permitted free elite partner upgrades between MSP and IAH, with MSP having PMNW lounges while IAH had only CO lounges--I became an expert in these technicalities for a while.

Your comment is causing me to reflect on the pros and cons of admitting your competitor's passengers into your lounges, presumably for a fee paid by either your competitor or some third party.

Since it's US doing business as UA, maybe US is bringing back a strategy from the past.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
... Since it's US doing business as UA, maybe US is bringing back a strategy from the past.
we're discussing Alaska Lounge member access to the UA club, which is near the AS gates at DCA ... same-day AS BP worked fine for me last month

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.