Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Should AS Funnel More Transit Passengers Via PDX as SEA Is Overcrowded?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] Should AS Funnel More Transit Passengers Via PDX as SEA Is Overcrowded?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2021, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: MVPGold 75K

I live in Oregon and i try as much as possible not to connect via Seattle. Yesterday, i felt pity for so many passengers seating on the flor in c gates with low ceilings and just overwhelmed crowding.
i rated my experience as miserable in Alaska listens as i felt for people who could not t find a spot.
Alaska should funnel more passengers via PDX to reduce this congestion.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Totally agree. I much prefer connecting via PDX when I go to or come from RDM, but there is only one flight left and that is going away, too.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
This is a frequent topic of discussion and I agree, however, PDX is in the middle of a major renovation and I'm not sure it's feasible until things are at least closer to being back to normal.
Daze, mildfrequence and mtofell like this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
This is a frequent topic of discussion and I agree, however, PDX is in the middle of a major renovation and I'm not sure it's feasible until things are at least closer to being back to normal.
PDX has been getting crowded too but never to the extent SEA is. the Lounge at PDX is pretty small and if close to full every time I am there.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
PDX has been getting crowded too but never to the extent SEA is. the Lounge at PDX is pretty small and if close to full every time I am there.
Yeah, but I would take my CSR PP card to Capers if I could connect through PDX like in BC days
Old Oct 24, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Plus for those of us connecting from the south (ie almost everyone) PDX is much closer or the same vs SEA.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 8:18 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Unfortunately that's not going to happen because of SEA growing as an international hub, and both DL and AS/AA increasing traffic. SEA will eventually catch up, though. DL is already building an even bigger Sky Club.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 11:01 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
How about PAE/Paine Field Everett?? Waiting for more flights with optimal schedule to avoid SEA
ctporter likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lattegirl13
How about PAE/Paine Field Everett?? Waiting for more flights with optimal schedule to avoid SEA
No AS Lounge would be a deal breaker for me....
Old Oct 25, 2021, 12:29 am

Programs: AS 75K
I don't think AS cares nearly as much as we do. A few people sitting on the floor? Well, they still bought tickets. I have part-time residence in Portland and would love more flights through there but understand why SEA is the main hub. Keep in mind Seattle is closer to Alaska
Old Oct 25, 2021, 5:27 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I don’t often fly by way of SEA, but out of the blue I am during my next two trips. I had set my eye on PDX, but the flight times didn’t fit in, and for now okay as the Amex Platinum offers no lounge options. I was also hoping for PAE or BOI, but same thing there.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Increase use of PDX instead of SEA? Easier said that done. Yes. Alaska might be able to do something, but traffic and facility use at SEA is part of growing demand and competition. If AS does indeed decrease utilization of SEA, competition like DL will capitalize this and add more of their frequencies, and gate use which will limit or harm AS growth.

What AS can do is spreading out the flights further instead of banking them into a few prime times....but that could impact connections and network.

Weather happens, and ATC can limit flights. SFO in particular can be the worst for ATC. Just feel lucky that SEA is no SFO, and our weather isn't too terrible.

Jiburi
eponymous_coward and anteater like this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Per the comments above, Capers at the B/C gates still closes mid afternoon and only has grab and go foods early afternoon, so hard to use your PP allotment. As to more flights via PDX, yes love to see more nonstops from PDX, and both Brad and now Ben have indicated there will be more mid cons. I for one a, sick and tired of arriving late evening in SEA at the infamous D20 bus gate and having to spend a night in a hotel because AS can’t get me to my last PDX flight gate fast enough.
Klrduks likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Waitlisted
I for one a, sick and tired of arriving late evening in SEA at the infamous D20 bus gate and having to spend a night in a hotel because AS can’t get me to my last PDX flight gate fast enough.
You're in luck. Alaska hasn't used the "infamous D20 bus gate" for two years now. Maybe could happen down the road but, for now, they're using only the gates at the actual terminal. I don't think anyone is actually busing any passengers to the hard stands anymore.
lattegirl13 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by lattegirl13
There is literally zero chance PAE is going to be used as a connecting hub.
AndyPatterson likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.