Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Should AS Funnel More Transit Passengers Via PDX as SEA Is Overcrowded?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] Should AS Funnel More Transit Passengers Via PDX as SEA Is Overcrowded?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
As long as the POS assigns gates at SEA based on utilization and schedule AS will try to jam as many people through SEA as they can.

PDX is a much more pleasant connecting experience than SEA, but AS isn’t going to let DL get more gates at SEA.

Like many others I make it a point to avoid SEA when I can, but the reality is if you fly AS a lot it is highly likely you can’t avoid it all the time.
Klrduks and mildfrequence like this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach
As long as the POS assigns gates at SEA based on utilization and schedule AS will try to jam as many people through SEA as they can.

PDX is a much more pleasant connecting experience than SEA, but AS isn’t going to let DL get more gates at SEA.

Like many others I make it a point to avoid SEA when I can, but the reality is if you fly AS a lot it is highly likely you can’t avoid it all the time.
Agreed!! I also would like to add with the creation of all of these new Hubs and focus cities all along the west coast ( ie. Boi, Sfo, Anc, San, Sjc, Lax) there's really no need for PDX to be a connection hub.....
Old Oct 25, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Chugach
Exactly. Not even in a dream world where PDX could open up a beautiful new terminal tomorrow would it make any difference. Every seat that AS does not have going through SEA means that AS could stand to lose gates to a competitor. The only way this changes is if the Port of Seattle modifeis the way they allocate gate resources. In the meantime, expect the situation to get worse--not better--unless the competition folds and AS has no chance of losing gate space if it reduces capacity.
Klrduks, mildfrequence and mtofell like this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVPGold 75K
I understand all of these views presented here. I have flown over 100000 this year and definitely there is no excuse to have people in COVID times being seated on the floor as what i witnessed. Hopefully they find some solution. I am also realistic that PDX is not Seattle, but they can use this for their advantage and not disadvantage. I may be not informed but, I can't understand who would rate Alaska great if transiting via Seattle.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by felicidad76
I understand all of these views presented here. I have flown over 100000 this year and definitely there is no excuse to have people in COVID times being seated on the floor as what i witnessed. Hopefully they find some solution. I am also realistic that PDX is not Seattle, but they can use this for their advantage and not disadvantage. I may be not informed but, I can't understand who would rate Alaska great if transiting via Seattle.
I'm guessing there is a disconnect between the average flyer and a flyertalker's experience at SEA. I spend my time in SEA in the N lounge, up until 5-15 minutes before boarding (depending on where my gate is). Therefore, I love traveling through Seattle. If I was sitting around on the floor for hours, I might think differently...
chrisl137 and mildfrequence like this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I won't go to SEA anymore if I can avoid it at all, which pretty much means I don't fly AS. It's a horrible experience as a passenger.

Somehow though, DL and SLC have managed to claim a close second spot, taking one of the best connecting airport experiences in the country to now one of the worst if you are not on a full mainline itinerary.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I won't go to SEA anymore if I can avoid it at all, which pretty much means I don't fly AS. It's a horrible experience as a passenger.

Somehow though, DL and SLC have managed to claim a close second spot, taking one of the best connecting airport experiences in the country to now one of the worst if you are not on a full mainline itinerary.
I agree. Even though I rarely fly Delta, it looks like they provide better experience in connections even in Seattle
Old Oct 25, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MileagePlan MVP
They did previously have a lot more connections through PDX, at least for my own flying. Previously it was about 50-50 connecting between PDX and SEA to GEG. Now it's almost always SEA.

Honestly, I think the bigger answer is for AS to have more nonstop flights using its E175s from smaller airports. We're seeing that already from GEG and BOI, among others. But more of that would be a better solution to the SEA overcrowding problem, honestly...
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by selkirks
They did previously have a lot more connections through PDX, at least for my own flying. Previously it was about 50-50 connecting between PDX and SEA to GEG. Now it's almost always SEA.

Honestly, I think the bigger answer is for AS to have more nonstop flights using its E175s from smaller airports. We're seeing that already from GEG and BOI, among others. But more of that would be a better solution to the SEA overcrowding problem, honestly...
I'd like to see more non-stops out of LAX. They cut most of them with the apocalypse and they aren't back yet. The timing doesn't usually work well for me to make a flight to the east coast or midwest via SEA. So mostly I'll probably be on AA for those, or just whoever has non-horrible seats at ok prices.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Per the comments above, Capers at the B/C gates still closes mid afternoon and only has grab and go foods early afternoon, so hard to use your PP allotment.
I wouldn’t even know given that I can’t get flights connecting in Portland

Well, I lied. This morning I did connect. And it was a wonderful experience compared to the three ring circus with multiple train connections that was my last SEA connection. Alas not enough time to eat anything or check on the state of Capers.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I'm guessing there is a disconnect between the average flyer and a flyertalker's experience at SEA. I spend my time in SEA in the N lounge, up until 5-15 minutes before boarding (depending on where my gate is). Therefore, I love traveling through Seattle. If I was sitting around on the floor for hours, I might think differently...
N lounge is nice but you can bet your boots I am not going out of my way to stop in SEA just for the privilege of it. If it works, great, if not then I much prefer my time back to me via a nonstop.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 1:55 am

Programs: AS 75K
After reading all of the recent posts I was going to quote a few but am too lazy/tired. It seems there's quite the different experiences/opinions of SEA. As a PDX to Hawaii flyer (split residence between the two) I welcome a trip through SEA due to the amazing N lounge and mileage boost. If I were sitting on the floor in SEA and not visiting the lounge I would hate it too. I guess it all just depends on your situation, etc.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The modern gates at SEA (N and A) are light years better than the ones constructed when 737s held about 120 passengers tops (S, B, C, D). When you have a 180-200 passenger plane using a gate holdroom that maybe seats 150, this is what you get.

DL doesn’t have this problem as much because… a lot of their gates are in A. AS is doing better now that N is finishing up. I guess S and international are next.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The modern gates at SEA (N and A) are light years better than the ones constructed when 737s held about 120 passengers tops (S, B, C, D). When you have a 180-200 passenger plane using a gate holdroom that maybe seats 150, this is what you get.

DL doesn’t have this problem as much because… a lot of their gates are in A. AS is doing better now that N is finishing up. I guess S and international are next.
And half my flights in and out of AS are on Horizon. And I have really come to dislike those C gates (or even just walking by them).
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Per the comments above, Capers at the B/C gates still closes mid afternoon and only has grab and go foods early afternoon, so hard to use your PP allotment. As to more flights via PDX, yes love to see more nonstops from PDX, and both Brad and now Ben have indicated there will be more mid cons. I for one a, sick and tired of arriving late evening in SEA at the infamous D20 bus gate and having to spend a night in a hotel because AS can’t get me to my last PDX flight gate fast enough.
I'm really hoping that with the terminal connector closed that the B capers will stay open longer. As for the AS club, I've always found it interesting that UA's club was larger and nicer than AS's club at an AS hub airport. The AS club is pretty paltry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.