Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Set for aggressive growth, Alaska Airlines begins hiring pilots again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:45 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...-pilots-again/

According to Dominic, Alaska told pilots in a memo:

Alaska Airlines has recalled all its pilots who had taken long-term leave during the pandemic, and this week it began training its first class of newly hired pilots since the downturn hit.
They want to hire 170 more pilots by the end of the year, and they're adding two additional MAX simulators (three total) to help speed up pilot training for all the new planes arriving.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Hopefully they will address their lack of flights on the east coast. And I don't mean to/from the west.
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by missamo80

They want to hire 170 more pilots by the end of the year, and they're adding two additional MAX simulators (three total) to help speed up pilot training for all the new planes arriving.

Nice to see them hiring. This might be a good time to get a leg up on it too as all airlines are facing a shortage of qualified candidates.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by rubbernyc
Hopefully they will address their lack of flights on the east coast. And I don't mean to/from the west.
That's not their business strategy.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 11:00 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by missamo80

Gotta start somewhere, but AS is amongst the late-comer for pilot search campaign.

Jiburi
Old Oct 11, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm really hoping they restore east coast service from LAX.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Hope they are also hiring some customer service folks. Still waiting for a refund of a PE charge when the metal changed to Q400 five months ago. No reply to email. Thinking at some point I might just have to go the chargeback or DoT route. And their delayed partner mileage credit posting is annoying as heck, too.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 11:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
That makes very little sense for AS
Old Oct 11, 2021, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Put a hub into PIT. Will be a winner

How about some Asia flights from ANC to fight with Northern Pacific? Does the MAX have the range?
Old Oct 11, 2021, 5:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Oh no, we’ve already got the “AS needs to light mountains of cash on fire flying east coast routes” people and the “AS needs to fly to Asia with MAXes” people here. It’s only a matter of time before the B6 rulez, AS droolz people show up…

I initially saw this info on a.net, but it appears management at SAN are headed up to SEA for a meeting with the AS big wigs and route planning next month. Some details are available on the SAN website via their board meeting notes (having a hard time linking on mobile, forgive me).

Maybe we’ll see some limited expansion in the short term, while they also discuss long term opportunities with construction moving forward on the new terminal at SAN? An AS lounge would be nice too…

Last edited by wolfpacktrojan; Oct 11, 2021 at 5:29 pm
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:00 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Put a hub into PIT. Will be a winner

How about some Asia flights from ANC to fight with Northern Pacific? Does the MAX have the range?
Assuming this is not a joke, there’s an extensive “MAX route fantasy” thread from a few years ago that’s worth reviewing. If Russia ever closes its airspace, I suppose all of that could suddenly become relevant.

Alaska to Take First 737 MAX Delivery - First Flights in March 2021
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calculon
Assuming this is not a joke, there’s an extensive “MAX route fantasy” thread from a few years ago that’s worth reviewing. If Russia ever closes its airspace, I suppose all of that could suddenly become relevant.

Alaska to Take First 737 MAX Delivery - First Flights in March 2021
Thanks. It was tongue in cheek. I’d rather wait for them to get the 787 (as per some other speculation thread)
CalanMan and Calculon like this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
Oh no, we’ve already got the “AS needs to light mountains of cash on fire flying east coast routes” people and the “AS needs to fly to Asia with MAXes” people here. It’s only a matter of time before the B6 rulez, AS droolz people show up…

I initially saw this info on a.net, but it appears management at SAN are headed up to SEA for a meeting with the AS big wigs and route planning next month. Some details are available on the SAN website via their board meeting notes (having a hard time linking on mobile, forgive me).

Maybe we’ll see some limited expansion in the short term, while they also discuss long term opportunities with construction moving forward on the new terminal at SAN? An AS lounge would be nice too…
I would be very happy if we could just get back to where we were in 2019.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by flytoeat
That's not their business strategy.
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
That makes very little sense for AS
This should be their strategy. I am not the only person in the greater NJ/NYC area that travels to the middle of the country and south for business and pleasure. No reason why they can't expand their business plan other than AA codeshares.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this going to be the new thread where I put in my requests for new routes for AS? I have a few requests for nonstops from LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.