Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska to Take First 737 MAX Delivery - First Flights in March 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/alaska-to-take-first-737-max-8-in-2017-416284/

Alaska will receives the first 737-8Max delivery in late-2017.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by N830MH
Alaska will receives the first 737-8Max delivery in late-2017.
This is actually incorrect if you read the article. WN is the launch customer for the model. It will be AS's first 737-8Max, but not the first delivered...

The Seattle-based carrier will take delivery of its first 737 Max about six months after launch customer Southwest Airlines takes its first aircraft, he says at the Boyd International Aviation Forecast Summit in Las Vegas today.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I continue to believe the MAX is a game changer for AS. For the first time in their history they can get to Japan/Korea from ANC, SEA/PDX to Central America, southern U.S. to northern South America, and more inland mainland destinations to Hawaii. The still air range of the -8MAX is listed at about 4100 miles.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach
I continue to believe the MAX is a game changer for AS. For the first time in their history they can get to Japan/Korea from ANC, SEA/PDX to Central America, southern U.S. to northern South America, and more inland mainland destinations to Hawaii. The still air range of the -8MAX is listed at about 4100 miles.
They won't be able to do any SEA to Asia flights will they? Would love a SEA to Japan/China on AS metal!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by acarney
They won't be able to do any SEA to Asia flights will they? Would love a SEA to Japan/China on AS metal!
I wouldn't want to see this until they offer a different F seat for these true int'l flights.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by acarney
SEA-PVG is 5700 miles. Fuhgetaboutit.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ANC-NRT on a 737 for 7 hours in AS F compared to a lie-flat out of SEA... oof.

You'd also have to think that big bad DL (who does have lie-flats in F) might decide they need some of that action, by running intl-configured 757s SEA-ANC-NRT.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:08 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
ANC-NRT on a 737 for 7 hours in AS F compared to a lie-flat out of SEA... oof.

You'd also have to think that big bad DL (who does have lie-flats in F) might decide they need some of that action, by running intl-configured 757s SEA-ANC-NRT.
meh....Ive had ANC/ORD flights with head winds take close to 7.5 hours. Id take a nonstop over connecting in SEA if it was an option
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ANC
meh....Ive had ANC/ORD flights with head winds take close to 7.5 hours. Id take a nonstop over connecting in SEA if it was an option
OK, so with headwinds that would be 9-10 hours...
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ANC
Nope, never, unless is was quite a bit cheaper, I'd take the connection in SEA....gets you a tad more EQMs, a chance to stretch your legs and grab a snack in the SEA BR, and you get two in-flight meals (in first) instead of just one....that's a no-brainer for me Actually, if the routing rules allowed it, I'd go ANC-SEA-PDX-ORD
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
SEA-PVG is 5700 miles. Fuhgetaboutit.
Right! That's too far. They won't make it. I think they have stop in ANC to get refueled.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

OT, but DL has acquired five more last-off-line 757s to place into a lie-flat J config - even as they upgauge some JFK-LAX/SFO flights to lie-flat 767s. It makes one wonder how more lie-flat 757s will be used...
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:01 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Nope, never, unless is was quite a bit cheaper, I'd take the connection in SEA....gets you a tad more EQMs, a chance to stretch your legs and grab a snack in the SEA BR, and you get two in-flight meals (in first) instead of just one....that's a no-brainer for me Actually, if the routing rules allowed it, I'd go ANC-SEA-PDX-ORD
your talking award rules I presume right? Because Ive done ANC-SEA-PDX-SEA-ORD before on revenue EQM flights, and because all connections were less than 4 hours I only needed 1 GGU for the AS mainline flights
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
curious to see how these will be deployed. i honestly don't expect we will see ANC-NRT. feel like ANC-IAH, ANC-NYC are more pressing missed opportunities ex-ANC...perhaps DFW or CLT if the AA tie-up continues to blossom.

one has to wonder if they are eyeing nonstop options to the Caribbean out of SEA and PDX. Hawaii to interior states seems unlikely except perhaps SLC...
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:06 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Very likely: West Coast cities to Caribbean islands (lots to choose from) and (more of) Central America, MAYBE Hawaii to a few more interior cities.

FWIW, IME getting to the Caribbean from the west coast is generally a PITA, requiring a redeye to some east coast or Texas hub, at least one connection, and ultimately arriving wiped out the next afternoon. Getting home can be done in one day but it's a long schlepp with a connection. If AS could manage a non-stop to popular Caribbean destinations, even if it's a redeye one way, it could prove successful.

Looking further west...it would be interesting to see them try SEA or PDX to NRT or perhaps ICN. But there's plenty of established competition there though. Do they really want to go there? And is there enough of a demand for ANC to NE Asia?

Here's a wildcard: AS has done very well serving Hawaii. How about some other Pacific Islands, further west and south? How about French Polynesia? Not a ton of competition there, I think. It's generally viewed as an expensive, very exotic destination (as it should be) - having more flights could open it up to a lot more tourists though. You know, Costco travel (same hometown as AS...) sells tours to some pretty exotic South Pacific destinations - so a little mass market tourism is already established there. Could be a win-win combination (Costco and AS)....

And...to get very creative...how about heading north and going over the pole? Does the 737-8MAX have enough range to make it from one of their northern hubs (ANC, SEA, PDX) to a Northern European destination?

Fun speculating...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.