Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

If ticket price goes down, will changing itin = refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2021, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, WN, UA

I am reading that change fees are gone forever (for all, right? not just status?) but a fare differential may apply. Of course I understand that if switching to more expensive option, but what if the price goes down? Then is it just a wash or is this a return of the old fare price guarantee? I am guessing it's just a wash but i can't see anything about refunds...

Is the rule also consistent for mileage tickets? (Spoiled by WN and just canceling points tickets to rebook if price drops.)
Old May 24, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
In my experience, it essentially works like the old low fare guarantee. If you notice that the price dropped, go to change your flight but keep the dates and destination the same. On the next page, you should be able to select your same flight and receive a credit for it.
Old May 24, 2021, 10:02 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Yes. Who do you think you’re flying, United? 😉
Old May 25, 2021, 12:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by tonei
Yes. Who do you think you’re flying, United? 😉
Even UA finally relented and is beginning to offer a credit when rebooking on cheaper flights.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 9:44 pm

I have a related question... I have an SFO>ANC nonstop roundtrip flight in late June where the total fare dropped about $120 per ticket. I went to the "Change Reservation" option, and when I choose "Cancel this trip and use the value toward a new trip", I cannot get it to show the same itinerary (it shows the nonstop in one direction or the other, but it doesn't show both directions nonstop liked my original booking.) I went on the chat and asked them if they could rebook the identical trip (hoping I would pocket the difference as flight credit), but the agent refused. They said my only option was to cancel, wait potentially 7 days to get the flight credit, and then rebook. Do I have any options here? Does a flight credit refund really take 7 days?

Last edited by tgc225; May 27, 2021 at 9:52 pm
Old May 28, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by tgc225
I have a related question... I have an SFO>ANC nonstop roundtrip flight in late June where the total fare dropped about $120 per ticket. I went to the "Change Reservation" option, and when I choose "Cancel this trip and use the value toward a new trip", I cannot get it to show the same itinerary (it shows the nonstop in one direction or the other, but it doesn't show both directions nonstop liked my original booking.) I went on the chat and asked them if they could rebook the identical trip (hoping I would pocket the difference as flight credit), but the agent refused. They said my only option was to cancel, wait potentially 7 days to get the flight credit, and then rebook. Do I have any options here? Does a flight credit refund really take 7 days?
Typically crediting to AS Wallet is instantaneous. Most cases I've seen it take close to 7 days are when you're within 24 hr of purchase and still eligible for full refund, but I think it's taken a day once or twice when beyond that before, too.
Given it's a pretty significant amount of fare difference, I'd probably take the risk on cancelling hoping it shows up immediately.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
^ same. I don't think I've ever encountered a lag on credit of wallet funds. As noted, credit card refunds are a different animal.
Old May 28, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Typically crediting to AS Wallet is instantaneous. Most cases I've seen it take close to 7 days are when you're within 24 hr of purchase and still eligible for full refund, but I think it's taken a day once or twice when beyond that before, too.
Given it's a pretty significant amount of fare difference, I'd probably take the risk on cancelling hoping it shows up immediately.
If you have a multi-leg itinerary and one of the legs goes down in price, is there any way to change just that one leg (to the same flight) and get the credit for the price difference?
Old May 28, 2021, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, WN, UA
Update - I did just successfully change a mileage ticket and the miles are nicely just redeposited, piece o' cake.

What I cannot seem to make happen, on another ticket, is to get it to re-price when a segment dropped in cost without changing it to another flight. I suppose I could technically change it and then change it back but I don't want to risk it for the $20 credit or whatever.
Old May 30, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by econ
Even UA finally relented and is beginning to offer a credit when rebooking on cheaper flights.
But UA will charge you a $50 fee to process a change to get a lower fare and it requires an agent intervention. Alaska and even American can be done online with no fee.
Old May 30, 2021, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bayareafamily
Update - I did just successfully change a mileage ticket and the miles are nicely just redeposited, piece o' cake.

What I cannot seem to make happen, on another ticket, is to get it to re-price when a segment dropped in cost without changing it to another flight. I suppose I could technically change it and then change it back but I don't want to risk it for the $20 credit or whatever.
If it is a roundtrip booking, they will re-price both outbound and return if you try to change either one. There's no way around this. Also, if the "segment" is part of a same-day trip in one direction, the price dropping on an individual segment is not relevant if you are on a through fare covering multiple segments.
Old May 30, 2021, 3:43 pm

Following that last part on how itineraries are combined - outside of companion fares, is there any point to booking roundtrip itineraries any more?
mpeterson78 and ssk244 like this.
Old May 30, 2021, 6:29 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by StrandedinLA
Following that last part on how itineraries are combined - outside of companion fares, is there any point to booking roundtrip itineraries any more?
Amex Platinum, and perhaps other cards, require purchasing a roundtrip for Trip Cancellation and Interruption protections.
Old May 31, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by bayareafamily

This is my experience as well--you either have to change flights or cabin. It is indeed possible to switch right back, but that runs the risk inventory goes away/doesn't come back.

Also, it is my experience you can only do about 4 changes online, and have to call after that. Finally, unlike other posters in this thread, I have occasionally had money get held up by the "system" for a few days before making its way to my wallet---although the email option seems more reliable.
buschoi likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 10:24 am

Just wanted to add that I had a non-saver reservation paid for with wallet funds. It just went down in price but AS' website wouldn't let me change the flight and collect the credit like WN does. I canceled my reservation and got concerned that it said it could take up to 7 days for my funds to return to my wallet but it happened instantaneously. I then rebooked my same flight at the lower fare and the difference added to my wallet funds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.