Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

June / July Schedule Changes (Thru 7/25/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

June / July Schedule Changes (Thru 7/25/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Question “IT” doesn’t stand for “Intelligent Technology”

Originally Posted by jrl767
I have the BOI-AUS inaugural — originally arriving 1440, which with a 1935 departure (AUS-LAX-SEA) was great for an off-airport meetup with a former Boeing colleague

the flight from BOI now gets in at 1530, the LAX flight is gone, and the SFO connection requires an overnight ... harumph!

yeah I know there’s AUS-SEA nonstop, but that’s no fun
the LAX flight actually got promoted to 1500, which of course won’t work (the hazard of separate tix)

of course AS in their infinite wisdom didn’t rebook me on the shortest connection (1610 arrival, 1755 departure) bc it was easier to keep the original flight (2115; retimed to 2100)
Old Apr 15, 2021, 6:11 pm
wmz

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
This sucks - was really looking forward to doing a status challenge from UA Gold to AS Gold in July so I booked LAX-BOS and LAX-JFK in July. Both routes got slaughtered, so I have the option of either doubling my travel time by connecting in SEA or trying my luck with an AA challenge instead. Do you guys thinks AS is permanantly looking at reducing LAX footprint given B6/AA presence, or is this just a short-term thing because travel hasn't quite recovered to pre-COVID levels yet?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I, for one, am totally shocked that airlines are still changing schedules a few months out like they've done all through the year+ of the ongoing pandemic, and that advance plans around those unreliable schedules might not pan out.

I am also shocked when the sun rises in the east and night follows day.

Guess I should make some more plans about airline schedules 4-10 months from now, huh? Seems like a good idea to me. What are the odds that August or October flight schedules might change? Inconceivable!
ACBLtd and Klrduks like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by wmz
This sucks - was really looking forward to doing a status challenge from UA Gold to AS Gold in July so I booked LAX-BOS and LAX-JFK in July. Both routes got slaughtered, so I have the option of either doubling my travel time by connecting in SEA or trying my luck with an AA challenge instead. Do you guys thinks AS is permanantly looking at reducing LAX footprint given B6/AA presence, or is this just a short-term thing because travel hasn't quite recovered to pre-COVID levels yet?
The LAX question is a complex one. LAX-East Coast will be a challenge for AS for the foreseeable future with AA/B6 and just about everyone else competing. I do think that AS will eventually bring more resources to bear on the East Coast once things settle down but that could be a couple of years away
In regards to LAX more generally you should see growth based on the fact that they will be renovationing T6 including adding two gates and expanding the lounge to 8000 sq ft. There is still a lot of inter California/west coast/middle of the country routes that they could start from LA
simonsuo likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only one set of flights changed this round - early july flight moved almost an hour later, and the return flights all changed by a few minutes.

Earlier rounds of changes I've managed to use to add a segment to turn non-stop flights into connections through SEA without paying the delta.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:52 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by wmz
I intentionally booked LAX-JFK red-eyes back in Dec cuz I knew they would not operate those. Of course they didn't. So reroute via SEA to get more miles. Initially I asked the agent if they could rebook me on LAX-HNL-SEA-JFK on AS metal so I can max out the miles, unfortunately that's not possible, but I'm still happy to earn extra 4294RDM/RT by connection via SEA!
PDXPremier, chrisl137 and simonsuo like this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 985X
I intentionally booked LAX-JFK red-eyes back in Dec cuz I knew they would not operate those. Of course they didn't. So reroute via SEA to get more miles. Initially I asked the agent if they could rebook me on LAX-HNL-SEA-JFK on AS metal so I can max out the miles, unfortunately that's not possible, but I'm still happy to earn extra
That’s definitely not a legal routing. Can’t go through Hawaii, or even Alaska to make your way to east coast. I also have one or two red eye to JFK, totally agree with you they are very likely got canceled.

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Earlier rounds of changes I've managed to use to add a segment to turn non-stop flights into connections through SEA without paying the delta.
Originally Posted by SNAnghbr
The LAX question is a complex one.
Schedule change is always a great opportunity to get more miles. For the LAX transcon routes, all I’m seeing is they keep cutting at each round of schedule change. I still have plenty booked through August to DC and JFK, counting on them to make some changes actually. And I don’t know if anyone read or heard something about their serious long term position for these routes. Even with the competition, I’m not seeing the price is cheaper though at least for now.

I forgot if I mentioned here or not, you can indeed go through SEA or SFO to go from LAX-ONT/SNA even though they are less than 50 miles away. For example, FLL-LAX-SEA-ONT, or FLL-LAX-SFO-SNA.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simonsuo
I forgot if I mentioned here or not, you can indeed go through SEA or SFO to go from LAX-ONT/SNA even though they are less than 50 miles away. For example, FLL-LAX-SEA-ONT, or FLL-LAX-SFO-SNA.
That's too extreme for me most of the time. Maybe if I'm getting close at the end of the year and don't have enough flights I need to take to get there.

It reminds me of a time before I knew to tell our travel office what flights I wanted and I just gave them destinations and times. They booked me LAX-IAD-BWI on UA for who knows what reason.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by SNAnghbr
The LAX question is a complex one. LAX-East Coast will be a challenge for AS for the foreseeable future with AA/B6 and just about everyone else competing. I do think that AS will eventually bring more resources to bear on the East Coast once things settle down but that could be a couple of years away
In regards to LAX more generally you should see growth based on the fact that they will be renovationing T6 including adding two gates and expanding the lounge to 8000 sq ft. There is still a lot of inter California/west coast/middle of the country routes that they could start from LA
I thought that AS and AA were cooperating along the west coast, including LAX while B6 and AA were cooperating along the east coast. Wouldn't the west coast alliance benefit AS in the LAX market?
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by dayone
Current nonstop PDX service to Dallas is to DFW. I think those DAL flights might have been placeholders.

No, there is one at 4:15pm from DAL on an E175. But there is also now a 3:50pm mainline from DFW. In order to accommodate my client I had to switch to a 745pm DFW to SEA and hope to hell we don’t get the dreaded D20 gate which is a guarantee to miss the last PDX flight.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 3:20 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K, UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Avis Pref Plus, Nat'l Exec
Not sure if this is a schedule change or what...but I found some excellent prices on AS codeshares operated by AA that would help with some of my summer travels, so I jumped on them. On Thursday, I booked SYR-ORD-SJC for 7/25 with AS (027 ticket number) operated by AA flights...only to see that tonight, the confirmed and ticketed itinerary disappeared from my Alaska app without a trace, and the AA record locator says I now have a huge travel credit on AA for my "cancelled flights". But no communication from AS on this, and no notice of the cancellation, which seems very odd, since it is their ticket. Normally you at least receive an e-mail saying that there has been a cancellation, schedule change, etc., not just that the AS record locator completely disappears.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?
Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I thought that AS and AA were cooperating along the west coast, including LAX while B6 and AA were cooperating along the east coast. Wouldn't the west coast alliance benefit AS in the LAX market?
B6/AA are cooperating on everything from BOS/NYC (except B6’s upcoming flights to Europe) which hurts AS from LAX to BOS and NYC.

With little international traffic on AA out of LAX right now, AS is not adding much. People going East can get most everywhere on AA and people going to PNW can get there on AS. AS/AA can’t coordinate schedules either. OW membership assists AS FF members that can now take AA—while potentially adding demand for existing AS flights from AA FFers who may now take AS instead of WN/UA/DL—but little revenue will coming from connections at the least for now. Perhaps AS will add a few more short intra-West flights to LAX but those will not be huge revenue generators.

Routes like LAX-BOS that were weak before stand no chance of profitably coming back on AS with multiple frequencies a day. Makes no sense to go up against 10 flights a day with AA/B6 when AA is also an AS partner. Flights to JFK and EWR are also even more difficult for AS to compete on than ever.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Waitlisted
No, there is one at 4:15pm from DAL on an E175.
What month(s) did it actually operate?
Old Apr 19, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
My DCA-SFO was axed it looks like. Now being rerouted to SEA and PDX. Fun with a 2.5yo in tow....
Old Apr 22, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
I'm happy with the CMH-SEA schedule changes. The 6:25 pm CMH departure moves to 8:05 am. SEA departure moves from 9:55 am to 12:47 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.