Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How much cabin crew intervention to expect re: masks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much cabin crew intervention to expect re: masks

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2021, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Raymoland
Did the crew serve the passenger with the yellow card? There is specific protocol to be followed. The yellow card states that further warnings will lead to a possible cancellation of future bookings and a ban from the airline. Ask the crew to follow the yellow card protocol. Then complain to corporate if they don't do it.
What if corporate had already told the staff not to be overly strict about the yellow card?
Old Apr 7, 2021, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by tlhanger
If you are not ill, coughing or sneezing (you shouldn't even be flying then) I see no good in a mask as you sit confined to your seat. I usually have a neck pillow and have eye mask on, trying to sleep
that's as may be, but the rule is that you have to wear a mask covering your nose and mouth while on board the aircraft
AS Flyer, Klrduks and Bellerina like this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by tlhanger
If you are not ill, coughing or sneezing (you shouldn't even be flying then) I see no good in a mask as you sit confined to your seat. I usually have a neck pillow and have eye mask on, trying to sleep
my partner had covid and was completely asymptomatic. No symptoms what so ever. We found out because he tested biweekly because of the job we have. Droplets carried simply by breathing and speaking can carry the virus. If you're seated next to an asymptomatic carrier (someone like my partner, for instance) and casually engage in conversation, or if they just breathe (because we do that) it's possible to be infected by an asymptomatic carrier. Everybody experiences Covid differently. It's not sure that you'd get sick if infected. It's also not sure that you'd survive if you did - and there's a whole lot in between. Anything could happen. Many of my co-workers that got covid are experiencing long term effects after their recovery. Until the majority of people are vaccinated I'm not comfortable being in any crowded space without taking precautions. You may be - you have a right to that opinion. As long as we're still in a pandemic though, I'm less concerned about people's opinions and more concerned about science.
tom911, flytoeat, Buster and 14 others like this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
What if corporate had already told the staff not to be overly strict about the yellow card?
That hasn't happened.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 6:47 pm

Programs: Yes
AS830 HNL SJC today..

The FAs had the HNL police board and disembark a family for refusing to wear their masks properly and becoming belligerent when prompted to do so.
flytoeat, AS Flyer, Buster and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zymm
On a tangentially related note, I was breaking off pieces of my cookie and pulling down my N95 to pop them in my mouth, and ended up with a healthy dose of crumbs in my mask. For anyone else attempting this technique I recommend going in from the bottom of the mask!
Isn't that just a convenient way to save them for later?
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Isn't that just a convenient way to save them for later?
it's like a to-go bag.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
my partner had covid and was completely asymptomatic. No symptoms what so ever. We found out because he tested biweekly because of the job we have. Droplets carried simply by breathing and speaking can carry the virus. If you're seated next to an asymptomatic carrier (someone like my partner, for instance) and casually engage in conversation, or if they just breathe (because we do that) it's possible to be infected by an asymptomatic carrier. Everybody experiences Covid differently. It's not sure that you'd get sick if infected. It's also not sure that you'd survive if you did - and there's a whole lot in between. Anything could happen. Many of my co-workers that got covid are experiencing long term effects after their recovery. Until the majority of people are vaccinated I'm not comfortable being in any crowded space without taking precautions. You may be - you have a right to that opinion. As long as we're still in a pandemic though, I'm less concerned about people's opinions and more concerned about science.
I had no symptoms but loss of smell. How do you know you've lost smell unless you're actively trying to smell something. Had I not noticed I'd have been going around Business as usual, including getting on a plane and sitting next to someone. There is asymptomatic spread out there that can likely be prevented by wearing a mask, just like your partner.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by johnp012001
I had no symptoms but loss of smell. How do you know you've lost smell unless you're actively trying to smell something. Had I not noticed I'd have been going around Business as usual, including getting on a plane and sitting next to someone. There is asymptomatic spread out there that can likely be prevented by wearing a mask, just like your partner.
exactly! Fortunately, he wears a mask at all times at work - so others are protected.
Klrduks and pcoll like this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
for things like not wearing your seatbelt, not complying w/ crewmember instructions, smoking in the lav, being a dangerous/disruptive passenger...there are minimum penalties in the federal statues that are enough to generally ensure high levels of compliance. the CDC issued the "law" about wearing masks on public transport, including planes, but stipulated no penalties for non-compliance, and did not enable the FAA to stipulate its own penalty for such, to my knowledge. basically, all passengers know that this will basically not be enforced on a criminal or civil level, except that they may be banned from flying a given airline for a particularly egregious neglect of the masking "rule".
My understanding is that the FAA has levied several fines specifically related to mask non-compliance, so it IS being enforced as a civil penalty . It effectively falls under the compliance with crew instructions rules, it doesn’t need its own specific penalty.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Anecdotally, I have seen much less mask compliance on any flight touching the state of Alaska. My last BET flight seemed to have 60% mask compliance (mostly below nose or chin). The FA's didn't do much considering it would probably be too difficult to police.

My last SEA-LAX and ORD flights, on the other hand, had near 100% compliance and the FA's actively scolded those not following instructions.
Old May 2, 2021, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by sturges
Anecdotally, I have seen much less mask compliance on any flight touching the state of Alaska. My last BET flight seemed to have 60% mask compliance (mostly below nose or chin). The FA's didn't do much considering it would probably be too difficult to police.

My last SEA-LAX and ORD flights, on the other hand, had near 100% compliance and the FA's actively scolded those not following instructions.
My experience appears to mirror yours. Based on a recent trip to Fairbanks SFO-SEA-FAI FAI-SEA-SFO, the SEA-FAI flight was the only one that did not have an acceptable level of compliance.
Old May 2, 2021, 5:49 pm

Not to go too off-topic (or Omni) but frankly when doing # 2 in the bathroom, you should normally be able to "smell something" so not smelling anything at all in the bathroom is a tipoff.....
Old May 2, 2021, 8:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K
How do you know you've lost smell unless you're actively trying to smell something
Smell and taste usually go together... so if you all of the sudden can't taste your food your smell well may be gone too.
Old May 3, 2021, 7:56 pm

In the news this evening:

FAA Warns Of Uptick In Unruly And Dangerous Passenger Behavior

FAA now has a zero tolerance approach to
"-refusal to wear masks
-political intimidation
-excessive drinking
-verbal & physical assault"

“This is the reason why I recently resigned from my job with Alaska Airlines. It has been an exhausting time for all the employees who are just trying to do their job according to their company’s policies. The constant arguing and pushback from guests, it’s ridiculous.”

And I thought AS was at the quiet end of the spectrum!
NoLaGent, Klrduks and anteater like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.