Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How much cabin crew intervention to expect re: masks

Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

EDIT on April 9th: this thread is wandering a bit off-topic. I've gotten the feedback I was seeking, and I thank those who posted for their input!

How much help are AS cabin crews providing when other passengers won't mask?

My datapoint: on a transcon today, my seatmate had his mask off for over fifteen minutes while nursing a bag of chips plus countless other times and spent about half the flight with his nose hanging out. Cabin crew offered to move me but otherwise offered no support. (The lead FA also pulled down his own mask when speaking with a passenger during the taxi-out, so I'm leaving open the possibility that this crew is an anomaly.) My sense is that despite their Safety Dance talk, Alaska isn't walking the walk. And I'm agonizing over what to do with my upcoming/return AS travel.

For the record, the current policy reads: "While guests are allowed to temporarily remove their masks when briefly drinking or eating or when taking medication, masks must otherwise be worn at all times, including between sips of beverages or bites of food." (And, to be clear, I'm looking forward to a world where we can again breathe with strangers in moderate safety. But we're not there yet.)

Previous thread from September; I'm not seeing anything more recent, hence the question.

Last edited by milestraveler; Apr 9, 2021 at 9:23 pm
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:20 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by milestraveler
How much help are AS cabin crews providing when other passengers won't mask?

My datapoint: on a transcon today, my seatmate had his mask off for over fifteen minutes while nursing a bag of chips plus countless other times and spent about half the flight with his nose hanging out. Cabin crew offered to move me but otherwise offered no support. (The lead FA also pulled down his own mask when speaking with a passenger during the taxi-out, so I'm leaving open the possibility that this crew is an anomaly.) My sense is that despite their Safety Dance talk, Alaska isn't walking the walk. And I'm agonizing over what to do with my upcoming/return AS travel.

For the record, the current policy reads: "While guests are allowed to temporarily remove their masks when briefly drinking or eating or when taking medication, masks must otherwise be worn at all times, including between sips of beverages or bites of food." (And, to be clear, I'm looking forward to a world where we can again breathe with strangers in moderate safety. But we're not there yet.)

Previous thread from September; I'm not seeing anything more recent, hence the question.
Not that great IME. I posted about it here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post33016199
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks @Finkface. Sorry for missing that thread.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
It just depends on the crew. I've been lucky in this regard, but I did have one flight a couple of weeks ago that the mask policy was the least of their concerns. The other 3 this month have been extremely vigilant about the policy, so you just never know.

An offer to move you though is support, and I would've accepted it.
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
It's really hit or miss how proactive a crew will be. During boarding in Florida about 3 weeks back, a passenger in row 1 leisurely snacked on gummy bears during the entire boarding process as she carried on a conversation with her seatmate for a good 15 minutes or more. After the safety briefing, I flagged down a F/A and asked to be reseated, as I was already uncomfortable that the mask issue hadn't been addressed with that passenger. I was told nothing was available in F (I saw several open seats, so don't quite understand that), so I offered to be relocated to premium economy which had open seats. F/A asked that I give them time to address the issue, and follow up with them if needed, and they immediately did address the issue with the passenger, offering her a new mask and reminding her of the snack and mask policy. She did keep her mask on the rest of the flight and only briefly had it off from what I could see.

On a flight up to Portland, a passenger in the row in front of me sipped his coffee for a good 20 minutes. I hit the flight attendant call button when he was finished and had moved onto video games on his laptop unmasked. Another passenger had what seemed like an unlimited supply of snack mix in his pockets and had his mask off just as long. No attempts by a flight attendant to address that (I didn't complain).

I've had a half-dozen flights where passengers across the aisle or in the row ahead of me take 20-30 minutes to lesiurely eat their first class meal or sip their coffees. One passenger went through several cans of wine unmasked - didn't see any enforcement of the sip and mask policy. I have my air vents on full blast. The only positive out of this has been that none of the passengers have been seated right next to me.

Recently I see did a flight attendant tell a boarding passenger that his gaiter with not within policy, but I'd like to see more enforcement of sip and mask or snack and mask so passengers are not unmasked for 20 minutes or more as they leisurely dine or drink.

If it's outside your comfort zone, I'd complain and hope for the best.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 9:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
I don't, and don't think we can, count on any consistency with this. I've been on flights where the FAs were as strict about masks as Nurse Charlotte Diesel, and others where more than one FA wore masks down off the nose the entire flight. (I'm looking at you, SEA-LAX.)

My take on masks, and on the pandemic in general, is that it's up to me to take care of myself. In some cases, I've kept a KN95 firmly in place from AS Lounge in SEA until lodging at destination.

But I've seen inconsistency on the same flight. On one, in FC, during boarding, the FA reminded a young woman to keep her mask pulled up over her nose. But when a big, quite obviously inebriated man two rows behind her all but passed out with his mask off...nothing.

My philosphy: Don't count on anyone else to maintain your level of safety requirements, no matter what their marketing materials say.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:16 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I think we all are going to have to adjust to progressively less mask adherence. More vaccinations + mask fatigue + stubborn sovereigns = a tougher battle to win.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K
My experience is the same as all the others - I've had militant FA's confronting people before they finish a bite but then I recently flew Hawaii to the west coast for 5+ hours with a "dick nose" (mask below the nose) next to me the whole way. Basically, if you're expectation of remaining safe involves everyone wearing a mask the whole flight, don't count on it.
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
These experiences are by no means confined to AS. It's hit and miss across carriers, IME. And I agree that fatigue is affecting not only passengers, but crew as well.

Now that I've had 2nd shot, it doesn't impact me nearly so much, but the "these rules don't apply to me" attitude of the mask-defiers is unfortunate.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:10 pm

Did the crew serve the passenger with the yellow card? There is specific protocol to be followed. The yellow card states that further warnings will lead to a possible cancellation of future bookings and a ban from the airline. Ask the crew to follow the yellow card protocol. Then complain to corporate if they don't do it.
innerspace and anteater like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I expect FAs to do their best to remind passengers of the mask policy and provide yellow cards when the situation calls for it but as was previously mentioned, I am responsible for my own safety and if someone taking their mask off for 15 min. made me feel truly unsafe, I wouldn't be on the plane in the first place.
Mauibaby2008 and Klrduks like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mtofell
My experience is the same as all the others - I've had militant FA's confronting people before they finish a bite but then I recently flew Hawaii to the west coast for 5+ hours with a "dick nose" (mask below the nose) next to me the whole way. Basically, if you're expectation of remaining safe involves everyone wearing a mask the whole flight, don't count on it.
Did you ask him to cover his nose? I have no qualms about asking respectfully someone who is sitting beside me or directly across the isle. The response I have gotten was a, "oh, I am sorry," and they readjust their mask. If someone is going to empasize more on the former word than the latter word in the aforementioned "phrase," I would hit my call button. Fortunately, I haven't needed to do that. For others more distant, I mention it to the FA during regular rounds.

I do think it will become more prevalent as more and more people are vaccinated and start to travel again. However you feel about the vaccine doesn't change the fact that the Federally Mandated mask policies in Airports & on Airplanes are still in effect and compliance should be upheld.

If anyone has issue with that then no one should have issue with me enjoying a cigar with my warmed chocolate chip cookie.

James
VibeGuy likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Did you ask him to cover his nose?
Nope... I honestly don't care..... and don't want to be the catalyst for a viral video when it doesn't go well. I don't want to turn this into a political/scientific thing but I just don't see how a thin piece of fabric worn by someone whose mouth and nose are 18" from mine on a 5-hour flight makes much difference.

I'm under 50, not overweight, I eat well and am very healthy. I take the precautions that I can to avoid being exposed and exposing others but have very minimal fear of being harmed by Covid. I totally respect other peoples' opinions and the measures they take and ask for the same in return. If I worried about catching Covid (or anything for that matter) I wouldn't be locking myself in an enclosed airplane to 5+ hours.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Hit or miss indeed.

​​​​​​I will talk to the crew if I see an issue, will remind the offending pax of the rules, and follow up with corporate (who really can't say anything, but want to provide support if I can).

I want a stash of yellow cards to pass out myself.
alphaeagle, sea_jeff and Mahogany like this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 12:17 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Its really depends on the crew. But if on a red eye transcon flight FA keeps talking about masks the whole flight with loud announcements, Ill be mad. If you concerned about masks, get vaccinated and keep a N95 on at all time, you really cant control what others peoples choices. Along the whole journey, there will be many occasions you encounter with maskless travelers, nothing you can do tbh. Will you stop and talk with each of them to wear a mask correctly? You will probably get stuck even before TSA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.