Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Run to New York

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2021, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP
Mileage Run to New York

So right now I have about 4-5 round trip mileage runs planned for April to get to MVP gold from ANC to JFK I was wondering if they are still checking the forms when you land or if I still need to fill out a form/get a Covid test if I’m not leaving the airport and I’m just gonna sit there until my flight. Any insight on what it is like traveling to JFK would be great
Old Apr 3, 2021, 7:41 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
You still need to fill in the travel form and show the confirmation of submission when you get off the plane. Those with no symptoms no longer have a mandatory quarantine. Haven’t heard what they do if a passenger gets off the plane and has symptoms.

That said, if you are doing 4-5 RTs between ANC-JFK just to get MVP Gold, you may want to consult a doctor. LOL
Old Apr 3, 2021, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
You still need to fill in the travel form and show the confirmation of submission when you get off the plane. Those with no symptoms no longer have a mandatory quarantine. Haven’t heard what they do if a passenger gets off the plane and has symptoms.
That's incorrect. I have done several connecting flights, and no forms have been required.

Also, handholding welcome committee is no longer hanging out by the gate anymore. So if the OP is direct turning, business as usual prior to Covid.

I have also done transfer across different terminals on separate tickets, no one bats an eye.
Auto Enthusiast and simonsuo like this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by seahawks101
So right now I have about 4-5 round trip mileage runs planned for April to get to MVP gold from ANC to JFK I was wondering if they are still checking the forms when you land or if I still need to fill out a form/get a Covid test if I’m not leaving the airport and I’m just gonna sit there until my flight. Any insight on what it is like traveling to JFK would be great
Good question. I used the current discount code BUCKETLIST for a trip in May. $275 RT ANC-LAX-JFK-SEA-ANC.

Lots will change between now and late May when I fly. Hopefully fully vaccinated (me) Pax won't have any restrictions by then.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
In other terminals (definitely T5) the National Guard is apparently still asking for forms on arrival. However I flew AS twice last month into T7 and both times there was nobody looking for it. I had honestly forgotten about the forms entirely until I was in my Lyft going home.

-J.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
In other terminals (definitely T5) the National Guard is apparently still asking for forms on arrival. However I flew AS twice last month into T7 and both times there was nobody looking for it. I had honestly forgotten about the forms entirely until I was in my Lyft going home.

-J.
The difference is the OP is not leaving the airport.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 10:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
You still need to fill in the travel form and show the confirmation of submission when you get off the plane.
Have you actually had someone meet you when you got off the plane at JFK? I was there last week and there was a drop box for the travel document as I left the Alaska terminal, but no one was present to collect my form or ask any questions about it. I had completed mine on-line before arrival and had an e-mail that I was allowed to enter. The first place anyone asked me for the form was at hotel check-in in Manhattan. I forwarded them a copy of my e-mail acceptance and they were fine with it.

Link to NY website for those that want to get the current rules:
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory
Old Apr 3, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tom911
Have you actually had someone meet you when you got off the plane at JFK? I was there last week and there was a drop box for the travel document as I left the Alaska terminal, but no one was present to collect my form or ask any questions about it. I had completed mine on-line before arrival and had an e-mail that I was allowed to enter. The first place anyone asked me for the form was at hotel check-in in Manhattan. I forwarded them a copy of my e-mail acceptance and they were fine with it.

Link to NY website for those that want to get the current rules:
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/co...ravel-advisory
You must still fill in the form and have the confirmation ready--even if you are connecting. You have to indicate you are leaving the state on the form. Just because the national guard doesn't meet one particular flight upon arrival doesn't mean that you don't need to fill out the form. Also NY now has several variants which people in AK would not want to be spread into the state, so I hope the OP is fully vaccinated.
anteater and renila like this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 10:59 am

So does that mean you've never flown to JFK and had someone meet your flight? You didn't answer my question.

Have you actually had someone meet you when you got off the plane at JFK?
Old Apr 3, 2021, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I have done several connecting flights, and no forms have been required.
Is that spelled out on a NY state website somewhere? I thought the whole purpose of these forms was to assist in contact tracing if you were seated next to someone that turns up infected after arrival in NY. Not filling them out on a connecting itinerary would seem to defeat that and make it harder for NY to track you down.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
If you are not leaving the airport (i.e., connecting to another flight), I don't think you need to do the form. In fact, you cannot complete it if NYS is not your final destination -- there's no place to select this as an option.

-J.
futuramadramallama and tom911 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 1:11 pm

In fact, you cannot complete it if NYS is not your final destination -- there's no place to select this as an option.
OK, I can see that makes sense, but then another poster says this:

You must still fill in the form and have the confirmation ready--even if you are connecting. You have to indicate you are leaving the state on the form.
Surely NY state had addressed this in writing somewhere over the last few months. Anyone seen anything official on the connecting flight policy?
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

OK, I can see that makes sense, but then another poster says this:

Surely NY state had addressed this in writing somewhere over the last few months. Anyone seen anything official on the connecting flight policy?
I don't see how you can be expected to fill out the form if NY is not your final destination

According to the NYS traveler health page:
All travelers entering New York from a state that is not a contiguous state who have been outside of New York for more than 24 hours must complete the Traveler Health Form. Contiguous states to New York are Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Vermont.
If you do not leave the airport, it could be said you have not technically entered NY state.

I did a dummy traveler health form and used Terminal 7 as the destination address, and even said I was not vaccinated, and got a green checkmark. They recommended quarantining, but it is not required. I would not want to spend more than a few hours in T7 if I could avoid it, let alone 10-14 days There is no place on the form to say you are immediately connecting back out. Therefore, I am led to believe it is not required for connecting passengers.

My advice would be to not do the form. If you arrive and someone demand you fill it out, it only takes a couple of minutes.

-J.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K

That said, if you are doing 4-5 RTs between ANC-JFK just to get MVP Gold, you may want to consult a doctor. LOL

Well, I'm doing 10 RTs on LAX-SEA-JFK just to renew my 75k status over the next 5 weekends.. 48hrs (2RTs) without leaving the airport every weekend. I think even the doctor couldn't save me..
Old Apr 3, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Anyone seen anything official on the connecting flight policy?
I don't see how you can be expected to fill out the form if NY is not your final destination
[...]
If you do not leave the airport, it could be said you have not technically entered NY state.
I think there's a special carve-out for things like layovers. There was official guidance in October (and probably at other times) about exempting layovers, but at the time (and in this linked document), it technically only applied to "First Responders and Essential Workers." Presumably we could extrapolate...

Is that spelled out on a NY state website somewhere? I thought the whole purpose of these forms was to assist in contact tracing if you were seated next to someone that turns up infected after arrival in NY. Not filling them out on a connecting itinerary would seem to defeat that and make it harder for NY to track you down.
If we're going to do contact tracing properly (and/or organized at a national level), I think you're right: it would/should care about people you're on a plane with. But since it's all piece-meal by-state and by-municipality, I think once you're gone from NYS/NYC, the passenger is off their plate and someone else's problem. Lol.

(So in theory, contact tracing (and this form) should care about people on the plane next to you, but my guess is it doesn't.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.