Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrades on American (AA)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Yes, for purchased C to F.
They do? In all my years as EXP I’ve never cleared onto transcon F for comp upgrades, always require SWU or miles and copay.

edit pretty sure business to flagship first doesn’t offer comp upgrades - https://onemileatatime.com/guides/am...ntary_upgrades
Robert likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by olouie
They do? In all my years as EXP I’ve never cleared onto transcon F for comp upgrades, always require SWU or miles and copay.
I was upgraded from coach to F on a CLT-SEA flight a couple of months ago.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
I was upgraded from coach to F on a CLT-SEA flight a couple of months ago.
I don’t think that’s a AA flagship transcon route, is it?
samosa likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:14 pm

Yes, for purchased C to F.
Sorry, NoLaGent, but that is not accurate.

Elites are not entitled to complimentary upgrades to First if purchasing Business. The only way to get into FF is miles, miles+copay, systemwide upgrade, or Business Extra BXP1 upgrade. If you manage travel, the Business Extra program is fantastic. I credit AA flights to Alaska, but you can still earn Business Extra credit for ticket spend and convert those points to upgrades or other awards. 💡
olouie and NoLaGent like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:17 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by olouie
I don’t think that’s a AA flagship transcon route, is it?
No! Too much wine last night and I just read your first sentence and didn't notice you continued on below to specify that you were about flagship.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:20 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Robert
Sorry, NoLaGent, but that is not accurate.

Elites are not entitled to complimentary upgrades to First if purchasing Business. The only way to get into FF is miles, miles+copay, systemwide upgrade, or Business Extra BXP1 upgrade. If you manage travel, the Business Extra program is fantastic. I credit AA flights to Alaska, but you can still earn Business Extra credit for ticket spend and convert those points to upgrades or other awards. 💡
Interesting, I just assumed it was due to my 100k, but it must’ve been an Op-up as y and c were sold out on my flight. Good to know!
Robert likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:24 pm

Interesting, I just assumed it was due to my 100k, but it must’ve been an Op-up as y and c were sold out on my flight. Good to know!
Always nice to be a recipient of a operational upgrade due to full cabins. Upgrades to FF will be a moot point in a few years as American has recently decided to phase out First. The new business suites look awfully nice though! 🙂
olouie and NoLaGent like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:05 pm

#1 for JFK-SNA tomorrow. 3 seats left in F but no one listed except employees. J is full now. C opened up at T-26 was tempted to burn miles but not worth $75 co-pay. Hoping for a battlefield upgrade. I purposely booked this hoping it would clear before check-in and I could check out the FL.

Looking forward to AA getting rid of First.

Update- died at #1 then endured a 4 hour delay with the underlying cause being crew.
samosa likes this.

Last edited by ual744777sta; Sep 23, 2022 at 10:37 am Reason: Update
Old Oct 7, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
10/5/22 AA496 MIA-SEA UG cleared sometime before T-68.
Fare class S
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:12 pm

Probably missing something here: how does C opening up allow you to use miles for an upgrade? Would you be purchasing a new ticket with American miles? What would trigger the $75 copay ?

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
#1 for JFK-SNA tomorrow. 3 seats left in F but no one listed except employees. J is full now. C opened up at T-26 was tempted to burn miles but not worth $75 co-pay. Hoping for a battlefield upgrade. I purposely booked this hoping it would clear before check-in and I could check out the FL.

Looking forward to AA getting rid of First.

Update- died at #1 then endured a 4 hour delay with the underlying cause being crew.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by austin92
Probably missing something here: how does C opening up allow you to use miles for an upgrade? Would you be purchasing a new ticket with American miles? What would trigger the $75 copay ?
I should have clarified. I meant using AA miles to upgrade.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Hilton Diamond
Upgraded on both legs of PWM-ORD-SEA flight on 10/6. First leg notified a few hours before, second leg as we stepped onboard got a text notification. Very surprised as we were 6 and 7 on the list, there must have been some no shows. Service was very nice including pre departure drinks and hot towels, neither of which are offered on AS.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:14 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
Apologies if I missed the answer - read the first few and last few pages. How do you see the list of people on the upgrade list? In the app, and on the site I just see that my upgrade has been requested -- no additional detail.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:23 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by cpworld
Apologies if I missed the answer - read the first few and last few pages. How do you see the list of people on the upgrade list? In the app, and on the site I just see that my upgrade has been requested -- no additional detail.
In the app, 12hrs before departure.
cpworld likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Date: November 1, 2022
Route: EWR-ORD
Fare class: Q
Flight number: 642
Upgrade cleared: T-71 (both of us)
Status (MVP, Gold, 75K, 100K): 100K
75K wife on separate reservation

500 EQM, 1,250 RDM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.