Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrades on American (AA)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2021, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by docbal11
Hello-
Looking to fly DCA-SFO this fall on AS. I am EP with AA. It is myself and (non-elite) spouse. I am split between paying for a miles/award reservation (25K miles) vs a Main-cabin (non-Saver) flight for $375. At a minimum, I want to sit in Premium Class. As EP with with AA, can I book reward travel into Premium Class seating? Am I eligible for upgrades in to First Class?
Any advice appreciated!
Thanks
Probably not the right thread, but yes, you can book an award in Main Cabin, and once your AA FFN is on the reservation you should be eligible for Premium Class and upgrade eligible for First.

(Don’t know if this works the same if you have a companion on the same reservation)
Old Jun 5, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP GOLD 75K, IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR
I have an upcoming reservation on AA HNL-PHX. I will be a Gold75K and have a companion. Just seeing if anyone has been upgraded with a companion.
My companion is AA Platinum. 26 First class seats are still open with less than a week till departure. Being new to this process we are just hoping we get auto-added to the upgrade list and the 2 different FF programs in the same reservation don't work against us.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Jason907
I have an upcoming reservation on AA HNL-PHX. I will be a Gold75K and have a companion. Just seeing if anyone has been upgraded with a companion.
My companion is AA Platinum. 26 First class seats are still open with less than a week till departure. Being new to this process we are just hoping we get auto-added to the upgrade list and the 2 different FF programs in the same reservation don't work against us.
For what it’s worth we were able to receive the upgrade as a couple on a recent series of flights. Companion didn’t have any status though, and all upgrades happened at the gate.
OnlyTheoretical likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
We were upgraded on AA the other day: Durango (CO) to Phoenix (CR-7) and Phoenix to Denver (A321); 75K and MVP. These were award tickets booked on the Alaska site. Upgrades happened about 30 minutes before boarding; I received text messages from AA.
OnlyTheoretical likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP GOLD 75K, IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR
Originally Posted by Jason907
My companion is AA Platinum. 26 First class seats are still open with less than a week till departure. Being new to this process, we are just hoping we get auto-added to the upgrade list, and the 2 different FF programs in the same reservation don't work against us.
Update. My companion and I received the upgrades to Business class at the gate.
The upgrade process was really chaotic; one rep stated all upgrades and standby should be cleared 40 minutes before departure. I have never seen it done that quickly. I have read about people being skipped on the upgrade list. Before even boarding the plane, I recommend that you see the gate rep and not leave until you get the new seat assignment. We had 23 open business seats, and they all filled up at boarding. I will be thrilled when upgrades start clearing 72 hours before Gold 75k's.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I don't think status is really a factor since only 75Ks are eligible for upgrades on AA.
That's what I thought, too – until this happened to me only two weeks ago. I'd already accepted a status challenge for AS, and they matched at MVPG, but I knew I'd have to forgo my AA upgrades – that was where I changed from – for the time being. I'm not entirely clear what happened, except I got to the airport to discover AA had cancelled its normal 9:50pm service (for DFW-AUS) but left the 10:50pm flight intact. I already had a seat assignment & everything, but upon arriving at the check-in counter I saw a total of 27 people on it – on a Saturday night, no less! (though admittedly this was one of the days when bad weather had a rollover effect on everything).

I can only guess that there were only 3-4 AAdvantage elites on the entire flight, so they started adding Oneworld elites instead. (F was barely half-full by the time they initially boarded the cabin, and I'd already been upgraded a half-hour earlier.

Probably an anomaly, but still.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:27 am

Took three flights this week on AA. All missed the upgrade by one.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kirker
That's what I thought, too – until this happened to me only two weeks ago. I'd already accepted a status challenge for AS, and they matched at MVPG, but I knew I'd have to forgo my AA upgrades – that was where I changed from – for the time being. I'm not entirely clear what happened, except I got to the airport to discover AA had cancelled its normal 9:50pm service (for DFW-AUS) but left the 10:50pm flight intact. I already had a seat assignment & everything, but upon arriving at the check-in counter I saw a total of 27 people on it – on a Saturday night, no less! (though admittedly this was one of the days when bad weather had a rollover effect on everything).

I can only guess that there were only 3-4 AAdvantage elites on the entire flight, so they started adding Oneworld elites instead. (F was barely half-full by the time they initially boarded the cabin, and I'd already been upgraded a half-hour earlier.

Probably an anomaly, but still.
Sounds like an operational upgrade although if you saw anything about being on the upgrade list or waitlisted for first, then maybe not.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
I booked miles on AA. I was able to change to economy plus after T24.....
Old Jul 3, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Domestic upgrade enhancements
Later in 2021, MVP Gold 75K members will be automatically added to the upgrade waitlist for eligible American Airlines flights and eligible to clear as soon as 72 hours prior to travel. MVP Gold 75Ks will be prioritized after AAdvantageŽ Platinum Pro members on the upgrade waitlist.

This is the first time I've booked a flight on AA using my AS number since we joined oneworld and for my flight tomorrow, my boarding pass lists me as Priority / Platinum Pro! I don't know if that now means I'm in the third tier for upgrades because I don't see an upgrade waitlist on the app. Maybe not seeing an upgrade waitlist is telling enough? I'm currently seated in MCE. I'll report back if anything changes - currently see 15 seats in Business.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 2:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Do we get upgrades on AA marketed/ AS operated flights like normal now?
Old Jul 4, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
Domestic upgrade enhancements
Later in 2021, MVP Gold 75K members will be automatically added to the upgrade waitlist for eligible American Airlines flights and eligible to clear as soon as 72 hours prior to travel. MVP Gold 75Ks will be prioritized after AAdvantageŽ Platinum Pro members on the upgrade waitlist.

This is the first time I've booked a flight on AA using my AS number since we joined oneworld and for my flight tomorrow, my boarding pass lists me as Priority / Platinum Pro! I don't know if that now means I'm in the third tier for upgrades because I don't see an upgrade waitlist on the app. Maybe not seeing an upgrade waitlist is telling enough? I'm currently seated in MCE. I'll report back if anything changes - currently see 15 seats in Business.
UPDATE: my trip was a bust due to my flight being cancelled. My replacement flight still listed me as Priority / Platinum Pro and this time the app showed a waitlist but I didn't see my name on the upgrade list.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Jul 4, 2021, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by TEDisgone
UPDATE: my trip was a bust due to my flight being cancelled. My replacement flight still listed me as Priority / Platinum Pro and this time the app showed a waitlist but I didn't see my name on the upgrade list.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
On our flight today we were not on the wait-list as well. Had to request at the airport and we're able to get the last two seats on FC. 2nd leg from ORD to LAS filed up the 6 seats open at checkin in FC overnight. So we were skipped as no one else was on the wait-list, including us. We are on it now after requesting at the airport. So Alaska 75k's are on the bottom of the list as of now for upgrades because we are not added automatically until we get to the gate. After FC has been filled.
ItsAnAdam and Guate87 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Date: July 4, 2021 (Happy Independence Day people!)
Flight Number: AA5008
Route (Please bold if failure) EYW-LGA
Aircraft Type: E175
Companion (If Any): None
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear: T-0
Any other miscellaneous notes/observations: only traveler on the waitlist, which would make sense, given the origin - upgrade cleared the start of the boarding process. Half of the F cabin were empty the morning of the flight, but went out full - best guess: paid F pax didn't pick seats themselves.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
7/4 LAX-RNO AA2987 CRJ7, cleared at the gate. I was the only one on upgrade list, two pax on standby list yet they both got upgraded, so I asked the gate agent what was going on, supervisor came and gave me the upgrade and said "seems someone needs a little training here, thanks for letting us know". First got delayed by 30min due to late crew, then aircraft went MX, swapped to another CRJ7 which was supposed to fly to ABQ, ended up rolling delay for the remaining flights for that aircraft.
7/4 RNO-DFW AA2722 A319 NOT UPGRADED, got MCE, #3 on upgrade list, only 1 got upgraded
7/4 DFW-LAX AA2697 B789, upgraded at the gate during boarding. I was the only one on upgrade list, first class was full, but I guess there was a no-show so I got the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.