Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrades on American (AA)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
AS elites cannot get upgraded from J to F. AA elites can
Even AA elites have to use an instrument to upgrade - SWU or Cash and miles. There are no complementary upgrades to F on the transcon routes with both J and F.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I misunderstood the first reply.

Yes, AS elites can’t get upgraded to F on a three class AA plane, but there were 4 empty F seats and 10 people on standby for a full plane. F went out full. If they filled it from J it would clear J seats that AS elites (me in this case) could upgrade into.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I think I misunderstood the first reply.

Yes, AS elites can’t get upgraded to F on a three class AA plane, but there were 4 empty F seats and 10 people on standby for a full plane. F went out full. If they filled it from J it would clear J seats that AS elites (me in this case) could upgrade into.
Unless an op-up, they wouldn't fill F from J. If there were non-revs on the standby, they would be seated in F, otherwise, the F seats go out empty. For a move from J to F, AA Elites need to use a SWU or use miles + co-pay as there are no complimentary upgrades from J to F on 3 or 4 cabin aircraft. Only if instruments were used would a J seat be freed up. That doesn't necessarily mean that the seat would go to the first pax on the waitlist. It could go to a revenue J pax on the standby list who has requested a SDC.

James
chrisl137 and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Unless an op-up, they wouldn't fill F from J. If there were non-revs on the standby, they would be seated in F, otherwise, the F seats go out empty. For a move from J to F, AA Elites need to use a SWU or use miles + co-pay as there are no complimentary upgrades from J to F on 3 or 4 cabin aircraft. Only if instruments were used would a J seat be freed up. That doesn't necessarily mean that the seat would go to the first pax on the waitlist. It could go to a revenue J pax on the standby list who has requested a SDC.

James
yes- I was hoping for op ups to clear the standbys, and then clear a J seat, but no luck for me today.

A slightly odd thing about the flights today is that all the AA flights appear to be selling out Y, but there were plenty of seats on every other airline this morning. And it was just AA metal - there were seats on B6 codeshares.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
yes- I was hoping for op ups to clear the standbys, and then clear a J seat, but no luck for me today.

A slightly odd thing about the flights today is that all the AA flights appear to be selling out Y, but there were plenty of seats on every other airline this morning. And it was just AA metal - there were seats on B6 codeshares.
UA is flying larger planes on some routes. They fly widebodies on the LAX/SFO-NYC routes vs AA just doing the A321T. So there is lot more capacity. AA's A321T dont have a large Y cabin either so its really easy for it to fill up now. I've seen Y go out full many times while J and F are maybe half full. Its also a favourite route for AA employees since F is not booked that much so they are usually guaranteed a spot in F on a midweek flight.
samosa and chrisl137 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:55 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K

Feb 27th, 2022 (Sunday)
AA1379 BOS-LAX A321T Upgraded at T-28
TIcker price $124, used travel certificate to bring down taxes, actual total price $105, minus $75 travel certificate, so only paid $30 out of pocket. Earns 2600*0.5*2.5=3250 miles, so basically flying for free
Old Mar 6, 2022, 10:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Fairly new to this upgrade game… for the 72-hour upgrade window, does this upgrade = upgrade C availability on expert flyer?
Old Mar 6, 2022, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lonelygod
Fairly new to this upgrade game… for the 72-hour upgrade window, does this upgrade = upgrade C availability on expert flyer?
No. C is for instrument or miles + copay upgrades. Sticker / comp upgrades come out of a different bucket that you can't see anywhere (I asked basically the same question on the AA forum last week)
Old Mar 6, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
No. C is for instrument or miles + copay upgrades. Sticker / comp upgrades come out of a different bucket that you can't see anywhere (I asked basically the same question on the AA forum last week)
thanks!!
Old Mar 19, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Date: March 19, 2022
Route: JFK-MIA
Fare class: L
Flight number: 1032
Aircraft: 777-300
Upgraded at gate to 3A

Date: March 19, 2022
Route: MIA-LAX
Fare class: Q
Flight number: 1536
Aircraft: 777-300
Stranded at #5 on the list.

3A in Flagship Business

Main Cabin Extra. Row 17

This was my first time on AA’s 777-300. I was pretty excited to actually be upgraded on one of my legs and experience business. I gotta say I was pretty happy with my MCE experience as well… very comfortable seats with plenty of legroom. And a lav I could actually stand up fully in!
57skibird likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Date: March 27, 2022
Route: SEA-DFW
Fare class: V
Flight number: 2748
Aircraft: A321
Upgraded at T-67-ish (me + companion)

on my way to MEX, DFW-MEX was sold out in F as of this last sunday, so not expecting an upgrade.. will update if a miracle happens

Last edited by atcanobbio; Mar 24, 2022 at 5:09 pm
Old Mar 26, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Date 3/22/2022
Route SEA-DFW
Fare Class Q
Flight Number 2748
Status 75k
Number 7 on the waiting list at the time of take-off

Date 3/22/2022
Route DFW-LIT
Fare Class Q
Flight Number 4242
Status 75K
Upgraded to F at the gate

3/25/2022
Route Lit-DFW
Fare Class V
Flight Number 4242
Status 75K
Upgraded to F at the gate

3/25/2022
Route DFW-SEA
Fare Class V
Flight Number 2009
Status 75K
Number 6 on the waiting list at the time of take-off

I was pleasantly surprised with my upgrade experience. The flight in between DFW and LIT is barely over an hour so I wasn't expecting much from the upgrade other than a more comfortable seat but I was offered a PDB both directions as well as the chance to order more drinks and a snack basket in the air.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
3/26
PHX-SEA
upgraded to F 72 hrs
I was upgraded but SDC and was happy to give up DC to get home earlier. AA honored upgrade and gave me FC for new flight.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
3/25 LAX-DFW 6/23, only no.1 got upgraded. Volunteer list available during check-in.
3/26 DFW-ORD T-72
3/28 ORD-LAX, I canceled, but no one on the upgrade list got upgraded. Volunteer list available during check-in.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a trip on AA that just got booked through my travel office at work and the app let me put in my AS number, both the App and the website want to charge me for MCE seats. In the past it's recognized my AS status (75K) immediately and let me pick MCE, but no luck today. Has anybody else had issues with a delay between when they put in their AS number and when the status gets recognized?

(eta: possible factor in the IT being weird - the outbound flight is on an AA flight number but B6 metal so I'm wondering if there's a flag set that makes the return, which is AA/AA, not have MCE selectable)

(edit again: I think I found the problem. Somewhere in the process my middle initial got added to the firstname field so it's in as firstname="chrisl137 M" middle="M" last= "lastname", where "M" is my middle initial. Our afterhours travel person thinks it's right in their system, so it could turn out to be a pain to get right and get onto the upgrade list).

And one final edit: I finally got the callback from AA and it does indeed seem to have been because the outbound was on B6 metal. The agent fixed the record and now it does seem to properly recognize my AS status and not want to charge me for an MCE seat (and presumably will put me on the upgrade list, too)

And a follow up, since I'm still the last post:
Upgraded at exactly T-72, BOS-LAX. Flying with a colleague who is PlatPro and we were upgraded at the same time (and probably now knows my FT handle).

Last edited by chrisl137; Apr 2, 2022 at 9:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.