Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Might AS Be Interested in Nonstops ex-BOI to ANC, HNL, MCO, NYC or BOS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] Might AS Be Interested in Nonstops ex-BOI to ANC, HNL, MCO, NYC or BOS?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

BOI airport officials are looking to entice carriers to fly NS to the above markets, and maybe others, with incentives. Thoughts?

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...249640223.html
Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by philemer
Thoughts?
I can’t imagine any of them working without a subsidy, save for maybe HNL as like a seasonal/sub-daily. If the airport wants to set money on fire though I am sure they’ll find takers for as long as they want to do it.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by philemer
BOI airport officials are looking to entice carriers to fly NS to the above markets, and maybe others, with incentives. Thoughts?

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...249640223.html
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I can’t imagine any of them working without a subsidy, save for maybe HNL as like a seasonal/sub-daily. If the airport wants to set money on fire though I am sure they’ll find takers for as long as they want to do it.
I agree re: HNL, kind of reminds me of the old BLI flights. The others, not so much for AS, and I think B6 has already announced JFK service to start sometime later this year.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
... B6 has already announced JFK service to start sometime later this year.
as mentioned on the B6 board

have to think ANC would only be seasonal
ACBLtd and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This makes me curious to know what the O&D traffic is for these "target" cities. Maybe there's something there, or maybe the powers that be have been driving over to WA to exercise some 420 privileges. I wonder. I do have to say, after reading the article, the incentives don't seem substantial enough to convince an airline to add destinations that would be money losers. That $125K incentive is pocket change in the airline finance world. This seems to me maybe more PR to the locals so they can say "Hey, we're trying."
BearX220, ACBLtd and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 10:53 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
This makes me curious to know what the O&D traffic is for these "target" cities. Maybe there's something there, or maybe the powers that be have been driving over to WA to exercise some 420 privileges. I wonder. I do have to say, after reading the article, the incentives don't seem substantial enough to convince an airline to add destinations that would be money losers. That $125K incentive is pocket change in the airline finance world. This seems to me maybe more PR to the locals so they can say "Hey, we're trying."
You look at all the service being added to Bozeman this year and have to wonder why Boise couldn't get something similar. Boise has a lot of fine outdoor activities.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
As has been mentioned, B6 is starting JFK-BOI later this year. I would love to see AS jump on it as well. Then again, I would love to see AS fly anything from JFK that isn't LAX/SFO/SEA

-J.
BOB W and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
As has been mentioned, B6 is starting JFK-BOI later this year. I would love to see AS jump on it as well. Then again, I would love to see AS fly anything from JFK that isn't LAX/SFO/SEA

-J.
LIke SAN?

Disappointed I never got to fly on the ANC-GEG nonstop. Saturday only service peak summer- I think it was a nonrev express.

Only 5 or so flights flown (5 weeks of service)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by PDXpress
You look at all the service being added to Bozeman this year and have to wonder why Boise couldn't get something similar. Boise has a lot of fine outdoor activities.
Understood, but the O&D traffic has to support the route. I'd be surprised if there're 180 people per day in Boise looking to get to someplace like Boston. If they're looking to develop a market, like BOI-BOS, then it's going to cost them a lot more than $125K in incentives. As for those outdoor activities, that's a tourist crowd who pays the lowest fares. Not saying it's impossible. Not knowing the O&D numbers makes my comments purely speculative. B6 must have the numbers to support their JFK-BOI plan.
writerguyfl and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by beckoa
LIke SAN?
Yes! That would be wonderful.

I will never give up hope on my dream of JFK-ANC nonstop, even though I know it will never happen.

-J.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

-J.
Hey, some of us would love to see AS fly anything from JFK, especially SFO!

As far as JFK/BOI, it might serve well for B6 to use this as a regular cockpit / cabin crew training flight.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Yes! That would be wonderful.

I will never give up hope on my dream of JFK-ANC nonstop, even though I know it will never happen.

-J.
UA does EWR-ANC on an international configured 752 with lie-flat seats. Not a bad way to go, even if it’s UA.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Chugach
UA does EWR-ANC on an international configured 752 with lie-flat seats. Not a bad way to go, even if it’s UA.
The last time I took that flight was on a legacy United subsidiary 752 with the ancient seats.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I agree re: HNL, kind of reminds me of the old BLI flights. The others, not so much for AS, and I think B6 has already announced JFK service to start sometime later this year.
Why on earth would it remind you of the BLI-Hawaii flights? BLI has 4x the catchment population compared to Boise.

You're thinking of BLI as an airport for Whatcom county, it's not; it's the BLI/South Vancouver airport; with the added bonus of avoiding the high American taxes to enter the US by air (about $50 on a typical ticket), as driving across the border is free.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
Understood, but the O&D traffic has to support the route. I'd be surprised if there're 180 people per day in Boise looking to get to someplace like Boston. If they're looking to develop a market, like BOI-BOS, then it's going to cost them a lot more than $125K in incentives. As for those outdoor activities, that's a tourist crowd who pays the lowest fares. Not saying it's impossible. Not knowing the O&D numbers makes my comments purely speculative. B6 must have the numbers to support their JFK-BOI plan.
The "tourist crowd" is about the only crowd paying fares at all at the moment. Well, tourists and mileage-runners ,
Maybe Boise should be spending its money marketing itself and Idaho in general as a "not a lot of people, lots of (pretty) open space" kind of place along the lines of Montana. I know from experience that if you tell people you're vacationing in Montana they nod, but if you say Idaho they look at you funny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.