FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   [Speculation] Might AS Be Interested in Nonstops ex-BOI to ANC, HNL, MCO, NYC or BOS? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2035348-speculation-might-interested-nonstops-ex-boi-anc-hnl-mco-nyc-bos.html)

philemer Mar 5, 2021 7:40 pm

[Speculation] Might AS Be Interested in Nonstops ex-BOI to ANC, HNL, MCO, NYC or BOS?

BOI airport officials are looking to entice carriers to fly NS to the above markets, and maybe others, with incentives. Thoughts?

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...249640223.html

eponymous_coward Mar 5, 2021 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 33080747)
Thoughts?

I can’t imagine any of them working without a subsidy, save for maybe HNL as like a seasonal/sub-daily. If the airport wants to set money on fire though I am sure they’ll find takers for as long as they want to do it.

NoLaGent Mar 5, 2021 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 33080747)
BOI airport officials are looking to entice carriers to fly NS to the above markets, and maybe others, with incentives. Thoughts?

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...249640223.html

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 33080812)
I can’t imagine any of them working without a subsidy, save for maybe HNL as like a seasonal/sub-daily. If the airport wants to set money on fire though I am sure they’ll find takers for as long as they want to do it.

I agree re: HNL, kind of reminds me of the old BLI flights. The others, not so much for AS, and I think B6 has already announced JFK service to start sometime later this year.

jrl767 Mar 5, 2021 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent (Post 33080835)
... B6 has already announced JFK service to start sometime later this year.

as mentioned on the B6 board

have to think ANC would only be seasonal

WillTravel4Food Mar 5, 2021 9:56 pm

This makes me curious to know what the O&D traffic is for these "target" cities. Maybe there's something there, or maybe the powers that be have been driving over to WA to exercise some 420 privileges. I wonder. I do have to say, after reading the article, the incentives don't seem substantial enough to convince an airline to add destinations that would be money losers. That $125K incentive is pocket change in the airline finance world. This seems to me maybe more PR to the locals so they can say "Hey, we're trying."

PDXpress Mar 5, 2021 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food (Post 33080880)
This makes me curious to know what the O&D traffic is for these "target" cities. Maybe there's something there, or maybe the powers that be have been driving over to WA to exercise some 420 privileges. I wonder. I do have to say, after reading the article, the incentives don't seem substantial enough to convince an airline to add destinations that would be money losers. That $125K incentive is pocket change in the airline finance world. This seems to me maybe more PR to the locals so they can say "Hey, we're trying."

You look at all the service being added to Bozeman this year and have to wonder why Boise couldn't get something similar. Boise has a lot of fine outdoor activities.

GW McLintock Mar 6, 2021 11:13 am

As has been mentioned, B6 is starting JFK-BOI later this year. I would love to see AS jump on it as well. Then again, I would love to see AS fly anything from JFK that isn't LAX/SFO/SEA ;)

-J.

beckoa Mar 6, 2021 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock (Post 33081801)
As has been mentioned, B6 is starting JFK-BOI later this year. I would love to see AS jump on it as well. Then again, I would love to see AS fly anything from JFK that isn't LAX/SFO/SEA ;)

-J.

LIke SAN?

Disappointed I never got to fly on the ANC-GEG nonstop. Saturday only service peak summer- I think it was a nonrev express.

Only 5 or so flights flown (5 weeks of service)

WillTravel4Food Mar 7, 2021 9:46 am

Originally Posted by PDXpress (Post 33080924)
You look at all the service being added to Bozeman this year and have to wonder why Boise couldn't get something similar. Boise has a lot of fine outdoor activities.

Understood, but the O&D traffic has to support the route. I'd be surprised if there're 180 people per day in Boise looking to get to someplace like Boston. If they're looking to develop a market, like BOI-BOS, then it's going to cost them a lot more than $125K in incentives. As for those outdoor activities, that's a tourist crowd who pays the lowest fares. Not saying it's impossible. Not knowing the O&D numbers makes my comments purely speculative. B6 must have the numbers to support their JFK-BOI plan.

GW McLintock Mar 7, 2021 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 33082762)
LIke SAN?

Yes! That would be wonderful.

I will never give up hope on my dream of JFK-ANC nonstop, even though I know it will never happen.

-J.

Eastbay1K Mar 7, 2021 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock (Post 33081801)

-J.

Hey, some of us would love to see AS fly anything from JFK, especially SFO!

As far as JFK/BOI, it might serve well for B6 to use this as a regular cockpit / cabin crew training flight.

Chugach Mar 7, 2021 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock (Post 33084224)
Yes! That would be wonderful.

I will never give up hope on my dream of JFK-ANC nonstop, even though I know it will never happen.

-J.

UA does EWR-ANC on an international configured 752 with lie-flat seats. Not a bad way to go, even if it’s UA.

Intl359Widget Mar 7, 2021 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach (Post 33084394)
UA does EWR-ANC on an international configured 752 with lie-flat seats. Not a bad way to go, even if it’s UA.

The last time I took that flight was on a legacy United subsidiary 752 with the ancient seats.

CZBB Mar 8, 2021 9:47 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent (Post 33080835)
I agree re: HNL, kind of reminds me of the old BLI flights. The others, not so much for AS, and I think B6 has already announced JFK service to start sometime later this year.

Why on earth would it remind you of the BLI-Hawaii flights? BLI has 4x the catchment population compared to Boise.

You're thinking of BLI as an airport for Whatcom county, it's not; it's the BLI/South Vancouver airport; with the added bonus of avoiding the high American taxes to enter the US by air (about $50 on a typical ticket), as driving across the border is free.

PDXpress Mar 8, 2021 10:04 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food (Post 33083592)
Understood, but the O&D traffic has to support the route. I'd be surprised if there're 180 people per day in Boise looking to get to someplace like Boston. If they're looking to develop a market, like BOI-BOS, then it's going to cost them a lot more than $125K in incentives. As for those outdoor activities, that's a tourist crowd who pays the lowest fares. Not saying it's impossible. Not knowing the O&D numbers makes my comments purely speculative. B6 must have the numbers to support their JFK-BOI plan.

The "tourist crowd" is about the only crowd paying fares at all at the moment. Well, tourists and mileage-runners :),
Maybe Boise should be spending its money marketing itself and Idaho in general as a "not a lot of people, lots of (pretty) open space" kind of place along the lines of Montana. I know from experience that if you tell people you're vacationing in Montana they nod, but if you say Idaho they look at you funny.