Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Status Match for Delta, Southwest and United (Thru 4/15/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Status Match for Delta, Southwest and United (Thru 4/15/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:57 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
So Im currently MVP gold - but WN alist preferred and companion pass holder earned properly in 2020. I actually want to shift the rest of my business to AS as WN really does float my boat in travel patterns anymore....will they bump me up to 75k this year if i show them my credentials?
The will give you 75k if they apply the same criteria as a pre-COVID19 match.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nsx
The will give you 75k if they apply the same criteria as a pre-COVID19 match.
what is the critiera as a pre-covid match?
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I submitted it - lets see if i get it!
LUMRS and HangryDad like this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:23 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
what is the critiera as a pre-covid match?
Companion Pass plus A-list preferred earned by flying.

The problem with proving your 2019 flying is that the information is no longer available on Southwest's website. I have an email from December 2019 that I earned a Companion Pass, but that email contains no information about how I earned it (which was 100 BIS flights).
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Companion Pass plus A-list preferred earned by flying.

The problem with proving your 2019 flying is that the information is no longer available on Southwest's website. I have an email from December 2019 that I earned a Companion Pass, but that email contains no information about how I earned it (which was 100 BIS flights).
All of it was BIS 2020 flying and i have the statement info to do so.....so we will see what they say! If they refuse - i may just migrate back to WN when the few times they are better times.....AS all travel goes through SEA.....so if im fly east - if WN is better - ill not make the effort....i love AS but i am really upset they gave up at SFO for the moment.....i managed to get UA gold for 2021 - and i hate united.....
Old Feb 25, 2021, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Does anyone know how to get a screen shot of UA website for 2019 miles flown with full name?
Old Feb 25, 2021, 10:26 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Does anyone know how to get a screen shot of UA website for 2019 miles flown with full name?
I just looked at my UA account, and I don't think you can get full name w/miles, but I also don't think it's an issue. Your first name appears up at the top line and that will match with your challenge and the UA miles submitted for the match. At least that's the way it looks to me when I run Mileage Activity Details from my account for 2019 dates (from the Balances & Status tab). You can screen shot that page and also download the .csv file as a secondary back-up file from that screen.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
FYI : from their small print

only offered to members who have achieved elite status for 2020 or 2021 through actual flight miles or segments in a Delta, Southwest and United Airlines loyalty program. Status granted based on credit card activity, transferred points, or any other promotional offer is not eligible for a status match
Old Feb 26, 2021, 6:27 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
As I read this...

Attention loyal Alaska Airlines elites: Prepare to have your upgrade chances slashed when we see a wave of new elites migrate from other airlines. Did you fly 90k+ BIS miles during the 2020 pandemic, post another 100K EQM in the first two months of 2021? (my first AS flight was in Sept 2020, so no rollover) You're appreciated as much as people who never stepped foot on AS metal.

Thanks for your loyalty to Alaska Airlines

(written by an extremely pissed off 75K in a transcon main cabin on an R fare)
anteater and HangryDad like this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by MileageMule
As I read this...

Attention loyal Alaska Airlines elites: Prepare to have your upgrade chances slashed when we see a wave of new elites migrate from other airlines. Did you fly 90k+ BIS miles during the 2020 pandemic, post another 100K EQM in the first two months of 2021? (my first AS flight was in Sept 2020, so no rollover) You're appreciated as much as people who never stepped foot on AS metal.

I can't say I'm that upset about it, since I'm MVP Gold due to a challenge, but I do have to say that extending the 50% EQM earning to those who match throughout 2021 feels like a punch in the gut. They've already been given something for nothing (hey at least I completed the challenge). If they extend it to all elites that might help a bit.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: DL DM
As I read this...

I went through this a few months ago when Delta offered an (arguably) even more generous status match offer. Airlines recognize that business travel numbers are going to be way down for a year or two, so they are all going to be fighting for the small number of biz flyers left. It sucks for those of us who earned our status through BIS miles, but it’s understandable from the airlines perspective. At least with AS’ status match, there will only be a few elites who can take advantage of this because of the rule requiring status to be earned in ‘20 or ‘21.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
As I read this...

And your ongoing custom is why Alaska Airlines has been massively profitable during the past ye- (checks notes) oh wait, no they haven't, in fact they've lost huge amounts of money, and they're trying to make money.

If you're going to be extremely angry about airlines wanting to improve their bottom line and oceans of red ink by encouraging customers to give them a try, this is probably going to be a very angering time for you for the next couple of years, just like 2009-2011 would have been infuriating. In the last year, WN gave me a companion pass for a few months and ways to convert purchased fares to points. DL gave me Gold Medallion status for 2021. AS has been doing cheap I fares, converting fares to miles at VERY favorable rates, mileage sales, and 50% EQM boosts. Guess what, it worked, they actually got some business.

You can either get mad about "loyalty" being supposedly betrayed (as if airlines aren't first and primarily obligated to loyalty of making profits for shareholders) or roll with the punches and practice loyalty to your own wallet.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 9:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
As I read this...

Attention loyal Alaska Airlines elites: Prepare to have your upgrade chances slashed when we see a wave of new elites migrate from other airlines.
Just don't see a mass defection of UA flyers from SFO, a UA hub. UA offers nonstops to places you just can't get to with Alaska on nonstops from SFO - places like Denver (5X a day), ORD (5X a day - AS isn't flying there right now), IAD (3X a day - AS not flying there either), lots of UA Hawaii nonstops (OGG 4X, KOA 1X, HNL 3X - this next week AS doesn't have a single flight), Newark (4X - AS has one flight), and limited BOS service 3 days a week.

You might get some UA 1K flyers at SFO to test the waters as a supplement to UA travel, but when it comes to nonstop Alaska flights from SFO I just can't see mass business traveler defections looking forward to connections at SEA, PDX, LAX or SAN to get to their destination. If your flying is primarily on the west coast maybe AS would work out for a UA flyer, but if you're going farther afield I don't see a threat as an SFO based flyer.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
And your ongoing custom is why Alaska Airlines has been massively profitable during the past ye- (checks notes) oh wait, no they haven't, in fact they've lost huge amounts of money, and they're trying to make money.

If you're going to be extremely angry about airlines wanting to improve their bottom line and oceans of red ink by encouraging customers to give them a try, this is probably going to be a very angering time for you for the next couple of years, just like 2009-2011 would have been infuriating. In the last year, WN gave me a companion pass for a few months and ways to convert purchased fares to points. DL gave me Gold Medallion status for 2021. AS has been doing cheap I fares, converting fares to miles at VERY favorable rates, mileage sales, and 50% EQM boosts. Guess what, it worked, they actually got some business.

You can either get mad about "loyalty" being supposedly betrayed (as if airlines aren't first and primarily obligated to loyalty of making profits for shareholders) or roll with the punches and practice loyalty to your own wallet.
I agree with your logic, but there may be a middle ground between these two points. For example with respect to UGs, either give priority to AS organic status (over status match) or make a tie breaker flag that favors AS organic status. Here, AS rewards loyalty to AS BIS / metal and still offers the perks of status to new MP elite members.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

I thought posting our thoughts was what FlyerTalk was about, but It doesn't seem to matter unless my feeling are the same as yours.

People that are going to be loyal to AS are probably already flying AS. The people coming because of free status won't change their flying habits. This is what happens when you give away status vs enticing people via challenges. AS will get a few people temporarily flying here because of this giveaway, but I'd likewise expect that AS will lose the loyalty of many others who feel jilted and screwed by this policy. (Again, just my OPINION)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.