Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Some Passengers Banned on AS Flight Back From the DC Insurrection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Passengers Banned on AS Flight Back From the DC Insurrection

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2021, 4:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I was on a recent AS flight where the FA in F told me that somewhere between 6-8 passengers refused to wear their masks back in Y, and that despite multiple warnings and refusal, it would just be a “yellow card.”
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AS has now announced that the 14 join the other 228 who have been banned thus far for refusing to wear a mask.

The decision is not made by the onboard crew. Their job is to maintain order as best they can and for the Captain to assess whether a diversion may be ncessary.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 7:14 pm

I wonder what happens to their Miles.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
AS has now announced that the 14 join the other 228 who have been banned thus far for refusing to wear a mask.

The decision is not made by the onboard crew. Their job is to maintain order as best they can and for the Captain to assess whether a diversion may be ncessary.
I was under the impression that being banned for receiving a "yellow card" was not like being banned for life or being on a no-fly list...just banned until masks are no longer required which could be a year from now so I consider this more of a suspension than an actual ban.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 7:22 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Lucky they weren’t texting in a foreign language as well on a AS flight.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I was under the impression that being banned for receiving a "yellow card" was not like being banned for life or being on a no-fly list...just banned until masks are no longer required which could be a year from now so I consider this more of a suspension than an actual ban.
Yellow card is the final warning, they were banned by corporate after the flight. Alaska, along with all of the majors, does not publish a timeframe on what that means, but I don't think it has anything to do with an expiration of a mask mandate.

Here's a pretty good summary, and they're all pretty much in line with each other:

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/ver...9-7829a0faf319
Old Jan 8, 2021, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Yellow card is the final warning, they were banned by corporate after the flight. Alaska, along with all of the majors, does not publish a timeframe on what that means, but I don't think it has anything to do with an expiration of a mask mandate.

Here's a pretty good summary, and they're all pretty much in line with each other:

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/ver...9-7829a0faf319
In referring to the mask policy, The Washington Post is reporting that the ban is only while the mask policy is in place. "Alaska Airlines said the banned passengers “won’t be able to fly with us as long as our mask policy remains in effect.” https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...sengers-masks/
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In referring to the mask policy, The Washington Post is reporting that the ban is only while the mask policy is in place. "Alaska Airlines said the banned passengers “won’t be able to fly with us as long as our mask policy remains in effect.” https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...sengers-masks/
This is what DL has been doing, although to many more passengers since the airline is much larger.
Auto Enthusiast and tkelvin69 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
The WAPO article is behind a paywall for me, but that is not what AS has previously stated:

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2020-...-no-exceptions
Old Jan 8, 2021, 9:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Just before Christmas time, my wife and I were on a full (other than the middle) flight and the guy across the aisle refused to wear a mask, or better stated kept putting it on when asked and taking it right off again, nursing the fruit and cheese platter grapes at about 10 minutes per grape and coughing the whole flight. Multiple attempts asking the FA to get him to keep his mask on were worthless. My wife now refuses to travel by air until a vaccine and as a result we cancelled 12 upcoming flights to our 2nd home in the desert on Alaska costing them over $3,000 in lost revenue. Alaska, and all airlines need to do a better job of enforcing these “rules”.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Alaska, and all airlines need to do a better job of enforcing these “rules”.
I've flown 20+ flights on AS since the mask policy started and have to say the FAs are absolutely dilligent about enforcing the rules. There are also constant reminders over the speakers as well as signage everywhere. At some point we can't blame AS (or any other airline) for the general stupidity running rampant in society. A FA trying to maintain a peaceful cabin can only do so much when someone refuses to mask-up. The most powerful tool the airlines have is suspending/banning people who refuse to comply.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by mtofell
I've flown 20+ flights on AS since the mask policy started and have to say the FAs are absolutely dilligent about enforcing the rules. There are also constant reminders over the speakers as well as signage everywhere. At some point we can't blame AS (or any other airline) for the general stupidity running rampant in society. A FA trying to maintain a peaceful cabin can only do so much when someone refuses to mask-up. The most powerful tool the airlines have is suspending/banning people who refuse to comply.
Yeah, although maybe they could have threatened the guy with a ban, and followed through if he didn't keep the mask on.

Back in July I had a couple ahead of me in F who nursed a drink for a full hour and a half flight. Masks were on basically for takeoff and landing. These days I'm not flying unless I can get several rows to myself... which is hard, but not impossible.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'm guessing they might not want to have been banned from an airline.
Exactly! They will be banned from an airline for life. Yes for life!
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
For us non US people, cam anyone explain why so many seem to have a strong aversion and objection to protecting their own and other peoples health ?
Old Jan 9, 2021, 6:11 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
For us non US people, cam anyone explain why so many seem to have a strong aversion and objection to protecting their own and other peoples health ?
Selfishness, entitlement and power hungry. We elected a prime example 4 years ago.
steve64, Daze, pxm and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.