Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50% Bonus on EQM (1/1/2021-12/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2021, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by pcoll
Yes, this change happened when AS aligned with One world.
Full fare First is now J (business class) F (first class) no longer.
Not that I often got full F fares, but was a nice option when I need a mileage run with max eqms.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
One note on the CC spend though:
Originally Posted by PDXpress
Thanks for catching that. Shoot.
That's a big caveat.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
I just went from a projected 94K by year's end to 127k. Talk about mileage inflation. Not complaining, though.
anteater likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 4:57 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by honmani2
I just went from a projected 94K by year's end to 127k. Talk about mileage inflation. Not complaining, though.
It certainly feels like AS is devaluing the tiers with how easy it is to obtain. 🥃
hyedmd and MileageMule like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 4:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by sturges
And you will get EQM for credit card spend.
So, if I'm reading this right it looks like 10,000 EQMs after spending 3K in the first 90 days.... easy enough and a pretty nice deal.

Then, 2500 EQMs for every $2500 up to 20,000 max BUT it's only for two months. If I used the card for business purchases I might be able to come close to taking full advantage but it is a bit of a clerical headache.

My biggest questions is - What year of EQMs are we talking about? I don't need them for 2021 but would be a lot more interested if they could be used to get me started for 2022. I also haven't heard any talk of any rollover into 2022 - has anyone heard anything?
Old Sep 16, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mtofell
My biggest questions is - What year of EQMs are we talking about? I don't need them for 2021 but would be a lot more interested if they could be used to get me started for 2022. I also haven't heard any talk of any rollover into 2022 - has anyone heard anything?
Old Sep 16, 2021, 6:43 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Please help me do the math ---

This is what I got from my own calculation ( base mile * COS bonus ) * 1.5 eqm bonus until Dec. 31
SEA-HNL F fare EQM for status -- 2677*1.75*1.5 = 7027(my math) v. what was posted which was 7362(to my mileage plan account). These 7000 plus miles would count towards my 75K requalification.
and an I fare would earn 6000 miles towards status
2677*1.5*1.5 = 6023

Am I missing something?

My TallerHalf (tm) is not convinced that the COS counts towards base miles. I am pretty sure it does.

Thank you.
lala
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by lalala
Please help me do the math ---

This is what I got from my own calculation ( base mile * COS bonus ) * 1.5 eqm bonus until Dec. 31
SEA-HNL F fare EQM for status -- 2677*1.75*1.5 = 7027(my math) v. what was posted which was 7362(to my mileage plan account). These 7000 plus miles would count towards my 75K requalification.
and an I fare would earn 6000 miles towards status
2677*1.5*1.5 = 6023

Am I missing something?

My TallerHalf (tm) is not convinced that the COS counts towards base miles. I am pretty sure it does.

Thank you.
lala
Your logic is correct, the class of service gets factored in to your EQM for requalification. You should see those reflected in your online miles qualification tracker now.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Aeroplan 35k; Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anteater
It certainly feels like AS is devaluing the tiers with how easy it is to obtain. 🥃
Quite an overstatement, as is always the case on FT when any hotel or airline does remotely anything that makes it marginally easier to get top status.

FT folks forget how tiny and niche the message board audience is. Most people are not remotely as interested in or obsessed with status and miles as we are.

The pool of people who can reach top elite status with actual flying and/or credit card spend is very small compared to the general population. And they are split across United, Delta, Alaska, and American.

If most of the airlines are doing some type of status extensions and/or boosts and fast tracks, it's because they've crunched the numbers and don't feel confident they'll hit their desired elite numbers for 2022, which would presumably be somewhere near 2019 numbers, which we know are unlikely to return until 2023 at the earliest.

So no, it is highly unlikely there will be any type of flood of new elites as a result of this. But it does make for good message board anxiety.
chrisl137 and Sandonkey like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:25 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by TravelingChef
Quite an overstatement, as is always the case on FT when any hotel or airline does remotely anything that makes it marginally easier to get top status.

FT folks forget how tiny and niche the message board audience is. Most people are not remotely as interested in or obsessed with status and miles as we are.

The pool of people who can reach top elite status with actual flying and/or credit card spend is very small compared to the general population. And they are split across United, Delta, Alaska, and American.

If most of the airlines are doing some type of status extensions and/or boosts and fast tracks, it's because they've crunched the numbers and don't feel confident they'll hit their desired elite numbers for 2022, which would presumably be somewhere near 2019 numbers, which we know are unlikely to return until 2023 at the earliest.

So no, it is highly unlikely there will be any type of flood of new elites as a result of this. But it does make for good message board anxiety.
This one gave me a chuckle..

I am not sure what to call another 4 months of status extension and a year long 50% EQM promo besides generous. It was trivially easy to obtain status this year.

I completely agree AS, other airlines, hotel chains etc will do what’s in their financial interest, which is why we are where we are. That being said, it doesn’t change the fact that it was easier than ever this year to earn status.

🤞🏻
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelingChef
Yes, this. I was doing fine on AS as an MVPG out of LAX as far as upgrades to the PNW and east coast pre-covid. I only targeted 75K this year because they made it easy in a few ways - they had the 1.5x multiplier (and 1.75 F multiplier for part of the year) at the start of the year when F fares were practically free and the 50K RDM bonus would more than cover my increased ticket costs. I had to fly anyway, and I had a modest (16K) carry in from last year. The 100K flyers are people who would be ahead of me on the upgrade list anyway, and I already know that there are very few on the routes & times I fly because I'm getting the upgrades. It was basically a low cost way to bump up my upgrade chances a little more for next year at low cost assuming business travel picks back up, and it bumps them up on AA, too. I'll probably slip back to MVPG next year without all the bonuses, but will enjoy the 75K perks while they last.
TravelingChef and anteater like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by anteater
I am not sure what to call another 4 months of status extension and a year long 50% EQM promo besides generous. It was trivially easy to obtain status this year.
It was trivially easy to obtain status for some. For others, not so much. None of my former coworkers I keep in touch with has flown a single business trip. Many friends haven’t gone anywhere other than roadtrips. My wife will have flown two domestic round trip between March 2020 and December 2021. I, on the other hand, will go from MVP to MVPG75 mainly thanks to a couple of international trips (and can then gift her MVP). I agree that in my case the promos and also cheap international premium airfares (not on AS) were very helpful. Still, at the end of the year, MVPG75K will have cost me around $7.5K.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
One note on the CC spend though:
I don't see that language in my email, but I also don't have the card but was offered to apply in the email. Any ideas if the same limitation would apply?
Old Sep 16, 2021, 10:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Can someone point to the language for the CC spend? I don’t see it in my email for status extension…..

do you need to register for it? Automatic?
targeted?
Old Sep 17, 2021, 2:59 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
But the 50% EQM extension by itself qualifying for 75K still gives you the 50K?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.