Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Carryover miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ASA_1
I messaged AS on facebook and they said they’re working on updating the system to show the carryover miles. But “rest assured, they’re there”.

The counters reset to zero but the format is still the same with different progress bars for AS & AS+Partner. I am sure it will take a few days to update & add a flight segment component.

I received an email back in early December that showed how many EQM were being carried forward and how many RDM I had earned up to that date.

Mine is well in excess of 75K & I currently on flight #2 for 2021.

James
Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ASA_1
I messaged AS on facebook and they said they’re working on updating the system to show the carryover miles. But “rest assured, they’re there”.
My summary email included a note with how many I have.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The counters reset to zero but the format is still the same with different progress bars for AS & AS+Partner. I am sure it will take a few days to update & add a flight segment component.

I received an email back in early December that showed how many EQM were being carried forward and how many RDM I had earned up to that date.

Mine is well in excess of 75K & I currently on flight #2 for 2021.

James
Ha, cue the "mine's bigger' discussion. The new year is almost a day old after all!
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Ha, cue the "mine's bigger' discussion. The new year is almost a day old after all!
Well, since the requirements for requalifing for AS Elite Status has changed, how many EQM you are carrying forward is moot; size doesn't matter, right? It doesn't really mater if it is >90K, 75K, 50K or 40K. Your EQM have no value without the AS segments.

Now it will be how soon you fly to achieve your AS segments. While under the old rules, my flights today would have requalified me for 75K, the new requirements mean I will only qualify for MVP today. MVPG will be on January 7th & MVPG75K on January 12th.

James
flytoeat likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 9:00 pm

The deals and promotions are going to be plentiful this year, much as they were after the financial crisis. What seems like crazy generosity among the Flyertalk cohort really shows how desperate the airlines are to drive enough business to stop the cash bleed.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You mean the 9 months you spent in the air where you got a 50% EQM bonus towards 2021, making elite status easier to attain for 2021?
You mean my status for 2020 that I attain in 2019 is my status for 2021.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Conflipper
No. I mean if you were flying in 2020 you got extra EQM that could have given you better status in 2021. For instance: if you entered 2020 as an MVP or Gold and you kept flying you could have potentially gotten MVPG 75K if you flew enough- far easier than you would have in 2019 (and at better prices too). Not to mention that if you kept flying for nine months, you still got a bunch of RDM someone who didn't fly didn't get, even if you were 75K to start with (if you requalified for 75k by flying, you got the 50K RDM bonus), as well as empty cabins that made upgrades easy. So, uh, enjoy the extra miles from another year of what you earned flying?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Conflipper
Correct, unless you organically achieved a higher status in 2020, your 2020 status earned in 2019 has been extended through December 31st 2021. If you flew between January 1st & April 30th, 2020, the EQM your earned, including any 50% bonus EQM from March 17th, 2020, will be carried forward as a "head start" towards your 2022 status qualification. The 50% EQM bonus has been extended to June 30th, 2020. You only need to fly (at most) 2/3 of the miles required for each Elite tier less the offset of the EQM carried forward. If you fly in paid F or in Main with a fares class that has a class or service bonus, then even less miles flown are required.

If you earned 75K in 2019 but didn't requalify for 75K in 2020 organically, you would still be 75K in 2021 with the extension but you would not have earned the 50K RDM bonus. AS has been extremely generous in making organic requalification easier in 2020 with the 50% EQM bonus from March 17th through December 31st, 2020 as well as an opportunity to earn EQM through spending on the AS cobranded credit card.

I am not sure what there is to be upset about.

James
Old Jan 2, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Is there supposed to be any carry over miles/segments earned in 2020 that can be rolled over as a head start toward 22 status in 21?

if I was granted ststus for 2021 evrn ifi didn’t fly on them for 9 paths, should I lose something if I chose to still fly them.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by djp98374
Is there supposed to be any carry over miles/segments earned in 2020 that can be rolled over as a head start toward 22 status in 21?

if I was granted ststus for 2021 evrn ifi didn’t fly on them for 9 paths, should I lose something if I chose to still fly them.
Yes, all EQM from Jan 1 - April 30 carries over as a start to your 2021 qualification for 2022. The segment qualifier is new and is only counted from 2021 towards 2022.

You haven't lost anything by flying, you've gained a lot more RDM than those that didn't fly.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
You haven't lost anything by flying, you've gained a lot more RDM than those that didn't fly.
Bingo. Between bonus EQM, cheap fares, cheap F, cashing out Wallet for RDM and EQM on the credit card, promos like crazy I can't say I feel like AS has been hosing a lot of people. Maybe you can feel grumpy about GGUs, though it's not like upgrades are super hard and half-size cabins kinda kill advance upgrade chances.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 4:04 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by Finkface
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan

*Must fly a minimum number of segments on Alaska Airlines marketed and operated flights to earn or retain status. 2 for MVP, 4 for MVP Gold, 6 for MVP Gold 75K.

It’s about time, I say. Although I think it should be more. Just MHO.
I also presume those segments on AS must be revenue flights??
Old Jan 2, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Xrayman
I also presume those segments on AS must be revenue flights??
I don’t see the distinction in the T&C but I sure hope that is correct.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
And what of expired BofA Visa companion certs?

Who do we complain to about the failure to extend the companion certificates from the BofA/Alaska Visa cards?
I thought I had read back in April that these were being considered for an extension as well.
In checking our accounts today I can see that no extensions have been granted.
Hardly seems fair to extract an annual fee and, due to our advanced ages, have the certs lapse because we choose to not risk COVID-19 exposure.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by JPat
Who do we complain to about the failure to extend the companion certificates from the BofA/Alaska Visa cards?
I thought I had read back in April that these were being considered for an extension as well.
In checking our accounts today I can see that no extensions have been granted.
Hardly seems fair to extract an annual fee and, due to our advanced ages, have the certs lapse because we choose to not risk COVID-19 exposure.
All Companion Certificates with a 2020 expiry date were extended to December 31, 2020. Those could have been attached to itineraries through late November, 2021. What date would yours have originally expired prior to the extension?

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.