Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Companion pass - Book a year out and change later to stretch it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion pass - Book a year out and change later to stretch it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
We all could protest and cancel the BofA card; I do think with vaccines coming Alaska should look to some short term extension, or some offer to cash them out for miles.

Funny enough I close my card yesterday to avoid the pending $75 annual fee and just applied for the 40k mile bonus $100 statement credit (covers the $75 annual fee) and was approved - so got a new companion fare coming and avoided the annual fee

That seems to be a decent play..
Old Dec 30, 2020, 9:28 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I absolutely loathe Skank of America and have only kept two of their cards because of the companion fares. I always found them useful, but more often than not needed to make changes closer in. The AS constant schedule changes never helped. Now, with this change, I will be closing both cards. I keep them at $0.00 balance, so it will be nice to give BofA ( or more clearly SofA) the nose thumb as I walk away.
williwaw likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by kdinino
Funny enough I close my card yesterday to avoid the pending $75 annual fee and just applied for the 40k mile bonus $100 statement credit (covers the $75 annual fee) and was approved - so got a new companion fare coming and avoided the annual fee

That seems to be a decent play..
Interesting. I had renewals come up in August. Had I known we'd still be in this mess I might have just cancelled then. I have zero interest in flying right now. I just had to do a trip 6 hrs away and drove and spent time in a hotel and it was not the best experience. Not going to fly over some coupon and do this.
williwaw likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Move on

IMO neither AS or BofA gives a hoot if you cancel your card so you might as well do it and move on. My DW and I have 3 cards and we're cancelling one because they bring little value. Some folks who fly AS a lot DO get value from the CF cert but the infrequent flyer won't. Watch the sales and use those instead.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 10:27 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
We all could protest and cancel the BofA card; I do think with vaccines coming Alaska should look to some short term extension, or some offer to cash them out for miles.
Did this years ago. Most of my travel doesn't end up lining up perfectly with people even if a group trip (i.e. slightly different departure/return dates, or meeting someone coming from a different city), so found it chore to use the companion cert on something that gave me good value. The card isn't particularly rewarding for purchases (even AS purchases you can get better rewards with other cards), and the fact that there was no flexibility on the companion cert (i.e. companion flies free *or* $50 off a solo traveler ticket) made me cancel. Have never looked back.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by boycruz
hate to lose the 3 certificates i have expiring
and was going to book for travel next fall but

sfo airfares to east coast arent even competive

400 RT SFO-NYC where united is half that
200 RT SFO PDX twice the discounted price
450RT SFO BOS/WAS

thats alot cash to have riding
yup.. I booked SFO - HNL for March using the companion fare, $384 for two. Then I saw the BOGO promo earlier this week where two tix SFO - HNL in late March priced at ~$200.

definitely closing the bofa card after I use up my companion fare
Old Jan 2, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BaconSF
yup.. I booked SFO - HNL for March using the companion fare, $384 for two. Then I saw the BOGO promo earlier this week where two tix SFO - HNL in late March priced at ~$200.

definitely closing the bofa card after I use up my companion fare
Are you using a companion certificate for a one-way SFO-HNL? It would be very difficult to extract any value on an itineray with one segment.

"Going in circles" offers a better yield. We just completed an itinerary of 8,502 miles (not a mileage run) and saved $457 off of the base fare. With taxes, average cost per flight was $71.46 each and together we earned 36,134 RDM. I booked us an award MSY-SEA-PHX//PHX-PVR with a 5 week stopover in PHX for 17.5K each offsetting a base fare greater than the original itinerary.

James
Old Jan 2, 2021, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Are you using a companion certificate for a one-way SFO-HNL? It would be very difficult to extract any value on an itineray with one segment.

"Going in circles" offers a better yield. We just completed an itinerary of 8,502 miles (not a mileage run) and saved $457 off of the base fare. With taxes, average cost per flight was $71.46 each and together we earned 36,134 RDM. I booked us an award MSY-SEA-PHX//PHX-PVR with a 5 week stopover in PHX for 17.5K each offsetting a base fare greater than the original itinerary.

James
round trip
Old Jan 2, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BaconSF
round trip
Unprecedented fares in Unprecedented times. $50 each, each way certainly trumps the companion certificate. My first ever flight, a 737-100 for a 35 minute flight was $29 in 1969.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.