FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Companion pass - Book a year out and change later to stretch it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2031338-companion-pass-book-year-out-change-later-stretch.html)

dannieboiz Dec 28, 2020 2:35 pm

Companion pass - Book a year out and change later to stretch it?

I have a couple companion codes that are set to expire on the 31. It was refunded from a cancelled trip due to covid.

I remember someone suggested to book a trip way out using it and then just change the trip accordingly as we know we can travel?

Just making sure that this is a valid method as I already have a couple thousand of credits stuck in Alaska

Phoebe25 Dec 29, 2020 10:11 am

Bumping, I’d like to know too

williwaw Dec 29, 2020 10:22 am

Flying for Fun posted this guide here.

williwaw Dec 29, 2020 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by alphaeagle (Post 32921933)
Which is a good example of why it's not a great idea to broadcast ways to take advantage of an airline that the airline didn't intend (not just that post). They have closed this loophole by now saying changes made after the expiration date of the companion certificate will no longer receive the discount. If your companion certificate expires on the 31st, that's now the last day you can book something and see the discount, assuming their new terms are enforced.

The terms for BOGO sale have the discount removed if you use this method. The Visa card companion fare just requires travel within 12 months of expiration per terms. I think AS is fine holding the cash on a Visa fare and users might forfeit whole value if they don’t stay on top of it. This seems more up and up than a loophole.

alphaeagle Dec 29, 2020 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw (Post 32922059)
The terms for BOGO sale have the discount removed if you use this method. The Visa card companion fare just requires travel within 12 months of expiration per terms. I think AS is fine holding the cash on a Visa fare and users might forfeit whole value if they don’t stay on top of it. This seems more up and up than a loophole.

Take a look at the Visa companion certificate terms and you'll see that after the expiration date, the discount no longer applies. Maybe they'll ignore that? I don't know, the earliest we'll know is in a couple of days, on the first when someone tries to use that and then complains here.

williwaw Dec 29, 2020 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by alphaeagle (Post 32922196)
Take a look at the Visa companion certificate terms and you'll see that after the expiration date, the discount no longer applies. Maybe they'll ignore that? I don't know, the earliest we'll know is in a couple of days, on the first when someone tries to use that and then complains here.

Not sure that’s new. I think it has to do more with the underlying fare. I have a couple versions of that “may forfeit” on my old ones going back. But it varies on the companion fare type slightly.

dannieboiz Dec 29, 2020 6:00 pm

I'm confused now.... so this method does or does not work? It's been almost a year since I've flown I don't even remember how to book a flight anymore. LOL

When you do a change and not a cancel, doesn't they only calculate price difference?

kdinino Dec 30, 2020 10:56 am

In the same boat here. Havent flown in a year or so and have a companion code that expires on 12/31 another on 1/24/2021.....

With COVID raging, I have zero clue what to do....I'd hate to lose the certificate but also don't want to burn needed cash on booking random flights only to lose out on not being able to change.

ForestFinder Dec 30, 2020 12:34 pm

Time is short, but perhaps you could use your companion certificate to ticket friends or family who have firm travel plans in 2021, and then if they
have certs expiring in 2021, they could ticket you at a later date. Be aware, that Alaska requires the name on the credit card that pays for tickets
to be the same as the name of the companion cert owner, but not the passengers.

WebTraveler Dec 30, 2020 1:55 pm

Wish Alaska would just extend these, then no games.

boycruz Dec 30, 2020 2:42 pm

Does anyone have a contact at Alaska to see if they will
extend these?

jashah Dec 30, 2020 3:04 pm

I called them to ask about extending the deadline a couple weeks ago and was told no.

boycruz Dec 30, 2020 4:05 pm

hate to lose the 3 certificates i have expiring
and was going to book for travel next fall but

sfo airfares to east coast arent even competive

400 RT SFO-NYC where united is half that
200 RT SFO PDX twice the discounted price
450RT SFO BOS/WAS

thats alot cash to have riding

kdinino Dec 30, 2020 5:49 pm

this sucks - their fares are pricey and they won't extend....looks like I'm burning them.

WebTraveler Dec 30, 2020 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by jashah (Post 32924819)
I called them to ask about extending the deadline a couple weeks ago and was told no.

We all could protest and cancel the BofA card; I do think with vaccines coming Alaska should look to some short term extension, or some offer to cash them out for miles.