Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy One, Get One for Just Taxes and Fees

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2020, 6:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
MVP not eligible for a complimentary upgrade with a companion!

Originally Posted by PDXpress
Yes, thanks. And if you have 2 MVPs on one res and 2 no status on the other, is there any way to get everyone seated together in the preferred seats at booking?
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I assume you’re asking in terms of upgrades? Just make sure you don’t have an MVP and a non-status companion on the same reservation or the MVP won’t be upgraded (assuming that’s what you want).
Originally Posted by quemalo
You can't split reservations that are done with a BOGO (or at least every time I've called to do so they've refused).
MVP not eligible for upgrade.
  1. If you are an MVP Elite, you are eligible for a complimentary upgrade providing you are the only passenger in the PNR.
  2. MVP Elites cannot upgrade a companion on the same PNR. If you have a companion, no upgrades, even if the companion is MVP.

James
missamo80 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
MVP not eligible for upgrade.
  1. If you are an MVP Elite, you are eligible for a complimentary upgrade providing you are the only passenger in the PNR.
  2. MVP Elites cannot upgrade a companion on the same PNR. If you have a companion, no upgrades, even if the companion is MVP.

James
Was something I said inaccurate?
Old Aug 8, 2020, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by quemalo
You can't split reservations that are done with a BOGO (or at least every time I've called to do so they've refused).
This promotion does not require two passengers to be traveling on the same reservation (unlike the BofA Companion Certificates) so there is no point in booking them together if you just want to split them. It's a 50% off main cabin fare sale whether you have 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 passengers.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
This promotion does not require two passengers to be traveling on the same reservation (unlike the BofA Companion Certificates) so there is no point in booking them together if you just want to split them. It's a 50% off main cabin fare sale whether you have 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 passengers.
The idea behind splitting what so that you can select preferred seats at booking for a non-status companion (if you’re an MVP) and then split it so that you’re eligible for an upgrade.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The idea behind splitting what so that you can select preferred seats at booking for a non-status companion (if you’re an MVP) and then split it so that you’re eligible for an upgrade.
Got it....so in this case an agent would have no problem splitting the reservation since a companion certificate wasn't used. It's too bad these fares can only be booked with the special discount code because I have customer care discount codes I'd like to use.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Got it....so in this case an agent would have no problem splitting the reservation since a companion certificate wasn't used. It's too bad these fares can only be booked with the special discount code because I have customer care discount codes I'd like to use.
I’ve never used those, but I'm assuming can’t book a flight, cancel it and then put it in your wallet funds can you?
Old Aug 8, 2020, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve never used those, but I'm assuming can’t book a flight, cancel it and then put it in your wallet funds can you?
I think if you cancel a flight with a customer care discount code attached, you lose the discount amount unfortunately.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 10:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Was something I said inaccurate?
I assume you’re asking in terms of upgrades? Just make sure you don’t have an MVP and a non-status companion on the same reservation or the MVP won’t be upgraded (assuming that’s what you want).

Your statement is not incorrect. However it is ambiguous because the MVP with MVP companion scenario, not covered, could be interpreted as possible, when it isnt. It doesn't matter what the status of the companion is. As an MVP, If you have a companion on your PNR, you are not eligible for an upgrade. Period!

Just make sure you don't have an....
  1. MVP and a non-status companion on the same reservation or the MVP won’t be upgraded
  2. MVP and a MVP companion on the same reservation or the MVP won’t be upgraded

Both are accurate statements.

James
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:40 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

As an MVP, If you have a companion on your PNR, you are not eligible for an upgrade. Period!
  1. MVP and a MVP companion on the same reservation or the MVP won’t be upgraded
My partner and I are both MVP and have been upgraded at the gate on flights this year with us on the same PNR. It happened even before things got bad with COVID in March.

We both showed as on the waitlist before the upgrade occurred.
lensovet likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Makes many west coast flights w Embraer service about $128 RT pp. We’ve had good luck w lots of empty seats and so lots of distancing on these flights. Even SEA-SBA has this fare.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by islandguy84
My partner and I are both MVP and have been upgraded at the gate on flights this year with us on the same PNR. It happened even before things got bad with COVID in March.

We both showed as on the waitlist before the upgrade occurred.
Me (MVP) and my son (MVP) on the same reservation yesterday got auto-upgraded to first on MCO-PDX although prior to being upgraded we had to have an agent move us to premium class since the system tried to charge for it. It is nice that two MVPs on the same reservation can be upgraded since you can't typically split the reservation when using a companion cert.
lensovet likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stephem
Makes many west coast flights w Embraer service about $128 RT pp. We’ve had good luck w lots of empty seats and so lots of distancing on these flights. Even SEA-SBA has this fare.
Most are quite a bit lower than that....$80 RT PDX-LAX and $74 RT PDX-SFO.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: AS
With the BOGO, is it possible for a single passenger to purchase both seats for themselves? I think I would need to call to get this done but, want some idea first if possible.
Thanks
Booked a trip for our daughter and son in law. He cannot make it and I wanted to give her both seats.
Worked out just fine.(As I was within the 24 hours for change, they did it for me)

Last edited by pcoll; Aug 10, 2020 at 12:49 pm
Old Aug 9, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: AS
Here is the answer to my question.
YES, you can get both seats in the row, with the BOGO promotion. Call reservations to get it done right.

Last edited by pcoll; Aug 10, 2020 at 2:20 pm
Old Aug 9, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
AS raised the margin between Saver and Main Cabin so much that on many transcon routes it only works out to be a 28% savings ($99 vs $72) vs the 50% advertised. Sure 50% on Main Cabin but not the from the lowest fare. Remember when the was no Saver fares and we were promised more benefits for the same fare? Time to ban the Saver fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.