Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Does Alaska Airlines have an unpublished flat-tire rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Flying for Fun
Same Day Changes are possible to a departure the day before if you flight is a scheduled red-eye flight departing between midnight and 4:am. It is written into the fares rules.

Fare rules & restrictions
Alaska (AS) RH2OXUMN ANC to SEA
General notes ECONOMY NON-DISCOUNTABLE FARES R APPLIES FOR ONE WAY FARES FOR ADULT

Category 5: Advanced reservation/ticketing restrictions

[...]

C. PASSENGERS BOOKED ON RED-EYE FLIGHTS BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 4AM MAY STANDBY THE CALENDAR DAY PRIOR. .

D.STANDBY AVAILABLE ONLY FOR IDENTICAL ROUTINGS - SAME ORIGIN/ DESTINATION/ CONNECTION/ THRU CITY. CHANGES BETWEEN CO-TERMINALS ARE PROHIBITED. .

E. STANDBY MAY BE REQUESTED VIA WEB CHECK-IN/ AIRPORT KIOSK / OR AN AGENT AT THE AIRPORT. . NOTE - SAME DAY CONFIRMED FLIGHT CHANGE . ALL CUSTOMERS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR SAME DAY CONFIRMED FLIGHT CHANGE SUBJECT TO SEAT AVAILABILITY IN THE TICKETED CABIN AT THE TIME OF THE REQUEST. . CHARGE USD 25.00 FOR SAME DAY CONFIRMED CHANGES FOR TRAVEL BETWEEN SEATTLE AND PORTLAND / BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND FAIRBANKS/ OR BETWEEN SEATTLE AND SPOKANE SHUTTLE MARKETS AND FOR TRAVEL WHOLLY WITHIN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA. CHARGE USD 50.00 FOR ALL OTHER SAME DAY CONFIRMED CHANGES. . THE CHARGE IS WAIVED FOR GOLD LEVEL MILEAGE PLAN MEMBERS AND CUSTOMERS CONFIRMED IN F/Y/D/Z CLASS.

Originally, I thought this would only apply to Flights originating in the Anchorage to Seattle Market as that was the only city pair that I was aware of that had red-eye flights departing between Midnight and 4:am, The Anchorage to Portland market would also be eligible.

Scouring some other markets, I see that AS is commencing red-eye service Seattle to Chicago on October 1st with a 12:15 am departure. That would be eligible for a SDC to the day prior.
Print Wikipost

Does Alaska Airlines have an unpublished flat-tire rule?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2020, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
Perhaps you can add this useful info as a Wikipost.
Where would you propose it be appropriately posted? I am not aware of any other markets where there are red-eye flights commencing between midnight & 4:00 am. Even the SEA-PDX shuttle market doesn't have flights in that time window.

James
Old Aug 4, 2020, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Where would you propose it be appropriately posted? I am not aware of any other markets where there are red-eye flights commencing between midnight & 4:00 am. Even the SEA-PDX shuttle market doesn't have flights in that time window.

James
Perhaps the Mods could modify this thread title with the appropriate (and currently only?) city pair and it be added here? It's the only one I'm aware of also.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 8:31 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

James
Probably best if you post/add it in this thread.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Perhaps the Mods could modify this thread title with the appropriate (and currently only?) city pair and it be added here? It's the only one I'm aware of also.
Even AS 178 ANC-LAX non-stop departs at 11:55 pm. However, I also see that AS 172 ANC-PDX departs at 12:45 am. It would apply there too.

Another unknown is if AS would allow a SDC on a connection as well, say ANC-PDX/SEA-PHX. Even if they wouldn't, you could still build in a layover on a through fare. That might be advantageous to some.

James
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Probably best if you post/add it in this thread.

WIKI added. Also of note, AS is commencing red-eye service Seattle to Chicago on October 1st with a 12:15 am departure. That would be eligible for a SDC to the day prior as well.

James
Old Aug 13, 2020, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
They don't have a formal policy, but there was this one time I forgot to set an alarm and woke up just after my flight out of Newark 30 miles away had left. Called AS, they put me on standby at the airport, got my BP when I checked in for the evening flight to SEA. I have never been happier to be in a middle seat on a transcon ever (I was going to have to burn a LOT of miles for a last seat Y ticket instead). This may have been before the formal "we cancel on no-shows" rule (this was like 2014 or so), but I had for sure missed my flight and no-showed it.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jrl767
now that you mention it, they did indeed (paging beckoa, maybe they still do?) have some flexibility wrt redeyes; however I think it only applied to flights between 2200 and 0430
Really haven't used this- but it is an option.

Even AS 178 ANC-LAX non-stop departs at 11:55 pm. However, I also see that AS 172 ANC-PDX departs at 12:45 am. It would apply there too.

Another unknown is if AS would allow a SDC on a connection as well, say ANC-PDX/SEA-PHX. Even if they wouldn't, you could still build in a layover on a through fare. That might be advantageous to some.

James
I've had luck with routing changes with SDC's and coterminals. However if adding stops, there will be an addcollect of taxes (and its irregular- think it should be $10 or less, but have had it $30 once too- YMMV)

I've used this to have stopovers too ^
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Really haven't used this- but it is an option.

I've had luck with routing changes with SDC's and coterminals. However if adding stops, there will be an addcollect of taxes (and its irregular- think it should be $10 or less, but have had it $30 once too- YMMV)

I've used this to have stopovers too ^
I was pertaining to already having a connection. For example a "red-eye " flight ANC-SEA connecting to the first flight SEA-PHX. If you SDC to an ANC-SEA flight the day before, could you also SDC the SEA-PHX flight to the day before, say, the last flight of the day prior?

If not, as I mentioned & you have utilized, creating a stopover/layover on a through fare connection may be a "side" benefit of the ability to SDC a "red-eye" flight to the day prior.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.