Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Does Alaska Airlines have an unpublished flat-tire rule?

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 11, 20, 8:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Flying for Fun
Wiki Link
Same Day Changes are possible to a departure the day before if you flight is a scheduled red-eye flight departing between midnight and 4:am. It is written into the fares rules.

Fare rules & restrictions
Alaska (AS) RH2OXUMN ANC to SEA
General notes ECONOMY NON-DISCOUNTABLE FARES R APPLIES FOR ONE WAY FARES FOR ADULT

Category 5: Advanced reservation/ticketing restrictions

[...]

C. PASSENGERS BOOKED ON RED-EYE FLIGHTS BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 4AM MAY STANDBY THE CALENDAR DAY PRIOR. .

D.STANDBY AVAILABLE ONLY FOR IDENTICAL ROUTINGS - SAME ORIGIN/ DESTINATION/ CONNECTION/ THRU CITY. CHANGES BETWEEN CO-TERMINALS ARE PROHIBITED. .

E. STANDBY MAY BE REQUESTED VIA WEB CHECK-IN/ AIRPORT KIOSK / OR AN AGENT AT THE AIRPORT. . NOTE - SAME DAY CONFIRMED FLIGHT CHANGE . ALL CUSTOMERS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR SAME DAY CONFIRMED FLIGHT CHANGE SUBJECT TO SEAT AVAILABILITY IN THE TICKETED CABIN AT THE TIME OF THE REQUEST. . CHARGE USD 25.00 FOR SAME DAY CONFIRMED CHANGES FOR TRAVEL BETWEEN SEATTLE AND PORTLAND / BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND FAIRBANKS/ OR BETWEEN SEATTLE AND SPOKANE SHUTTLE MARKETS AND FOR TRAVEL WHOLLY WITHIN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA. CHARGE USD 50.00 FOR ALL OTHER SAME DAY CONFIRMED CHANGES. . THE CHARGE IS WAIVED FOR GOLD LEVEL MILEAGE PLAN MEMBERS AND CUSTOMERS CONFIRMED IN F/Y/D/Z CLASS.

Originally, I thought this would only apply to Flights originating in the Anchorage to Seattle Market as that was the only city pair that I was aware of that had red-eye flights departing between Midnight and 4:am, The Anchorage to Portland market would also be eligible.

Scouring some other markets, I see that AS is commencing red-eye service Seattle to Chicago on October 1st with a 12:15 am departure. That would be eligible for a SDC to the day prior.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 3, 20, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

I know the published rules say that if you miss your flight you're not really eligible for anything, but do we know if there is an unpublished rule or flat-tire policy, specially when it is the last flight of the day?

Specific situation - currently booked on ANC-SEA last flight out for the day, and because we are flying in on a bush-plane from interior alaska to anchorage (seperate ticket), despite leaving lots of time to make the connection depending on weather there is always a chance that we might miss the connection because we are late by say, an hour. We will of course call Alaska Airlines and show up at the airport also even if we are delayed.

In practice, will Alaska be kind enough to put us on the next morning's flight? If not, I will use the current flexible cancellations to book a backup flight for the next day.
Old Aug 3, 20, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), DL GM (ST E+), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I miss flights pretty frequently, and I haven't had great luck being accommodated by AS in these types of situations.

Before I had AS status, I was always charged the SDC fee to move onto a later flight (same day) if I missed my flight. Both before & after getting status, I've always been charged the fare difference to move to the next day when I miss a 1x daily flight.

I have not ever missed the last flight of the day, but I imagine it would be treated similar to missing a 1x daily flight (i.e. passenger pays the fare difference).

If you want more reassurance that you'll be taken care of in the case of a delay, I'd recommend flying UA - IME they're much more flexible with flat tire situations, and their SDC allows you to switch your departure to the next day by written policy.
Old Aug 3, 20, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
In practice, will Alaska be kind enough to put us on the next morning's flight? If not, I will use the current flexible cancellations to book a backup flight for the next day.
You can cancel your itinerary up until flight time. Some have also reported successfully cancelling online soon after departure. What date are you flying? It looks like AS has 14 flights on Sat Aug 15th, the last departure 11:55 pm. The first depatrture the next day is 20 minutes later at 12:15 am, the first of 8 flights by 10:00 am.

If 7:00 pm is the last flight of the day on the date you are flying, I would purchase a back-up flight for 12:15 am the next day. Just be sure to cancel your evening flight before departure. Keep in mind that the next morning flight, if cancelled by you, will be a wallet credit, not a refund to original form of payment. If you are using wallet funds then there is no worry.

If you have AS status, AS may accommodate you on a "short" SDC into the next morning but I wouldn't expect it or anticipate they would be willing to do so on a 5+ hour layover.

James
Old Aug 3, 20, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - yes I have the 7pm flight. Looks like the delta flight was cheaper next day so booked that as a backup for now (they have corona waivers also and i'm fine with vouchers)
Old Aug 3, 20, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
If 7:00 pm is the last flight of the day on the date you are flying, I would purchase a back-up flight for 12:15 am the next day. Just be sure to cancel your evening flight before departure. Keep in mind that the next morning flight, if cancelled by you, will be a wallet credit, not a refund to original form of payment. If you are using wallet funds then there is no worry.
That would be a clear violation of Alaska's contract of carriage (rule 7D) -- "Duplicate, impossible/illogical, fraudulent, fictitious or abusive bookings and/or reservations, or bookings and/or reservations made by Passengers with no intention of being used, are prohibited and may be subject to cancellation. A duplicate or impossible/illogical booking includes, but is not limited to, bookings for the same Passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin and/or destination (such as SEALAX and SEAONT or SNASEA and ONTSEA), or bookings with Connections that depart before the arrival of the inbound flight. Fraudulent, fictitious or abusive bookings are defined as any bookings made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named Passenger. Additionally, creating bookings to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, Mileage Plan award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available, or to gain access to airport facilities, or to circumvent any of Alaska's fare rules or policies, is prohibited without prior authorization from Alaska."

While it's very unlikely the OP would encounter any trouble with AS if using such a technique (as others have reported making a generous number of speculative bookings using wallet credits in the past), it seems fair to make sure the OP is aware that it's technically against the rules.

Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
Thanks - yes I have the 7pm flight. Looks like the delta flight was cheaper next day so booked that as a backup for now (they have corona waivers also and i'm fine with vouchers)
Good idea -- always safer to book backup flights on another airline.
Old Aug 3, 20, 4:38 pm

What about the reverse? Don't know if the 7pm flight is full but if you book the 1215am flight and then if you get there early enough change onto the 7pm one.
Old Aug 3, 20, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
which literally still isn’t a **SAME-DAY** change (unless you convert ADT to GMT)
Old Aug 3, 20, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
which literally still isnít a **SAME-DAY** change (unless you convert ADT to GMT)
Ah, I guess they had a change for same calendar day. Prior they didn't have that requirement.
I guess there are reports of that rule being waived, I don't know if that is still true now.
Old Aug 3, 20, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
now that you mention it, they did indeed (paging beckoa, maybe they still do?) have some flexibility wrt redeyes; however I think it only applied to flights between 2200 and 0430
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 3, 20, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by metallo View Post
That would be a clear violation of Alaska's contract of carriage (rule 7D) --
Excellent point! I didn't consider that. Thank you for picking up on a poor recommendation. 😊

I didn't consider that for myself either when I was flying the last two legs of a circle trip in March. I booked SEA-PHX when my flight was YLW-SEA-LAX. When we arrived in SEA, I called and cancelled the SEA-LAX segment. It was a through fare so there was no risidual value to the ticket. It was without consequence, but something I need to consider in the future.

James
Old Aug 3, 20, 8:46 pm

The one time I missed a flight (my fault, was over an hour late to the airport), they put me on the next one for $25. This was before the Saver fare existed and before the SDC fee increased.
Old Aug 3, 20, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd View Post
The one time I missed a flight (my fault, was over an hour late to the airport), they put me on the next one for $25. This was before the Saver fare existed and before the SDC fee increased.
That was probably also before AS changed their no-show policy that now forfeits the value of any ticket, even fully refundabe.

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 3, 20, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
Excellent point! I didn't consider that. Thank you for picking up on a poor recommendation. 😊

I didn't consider that for myself either when I was flying the last two legs of a circle trip in March. I booked SEA-PHX when my flight was YLW-SEA-LAX. When we arrived in SEA, I called and cancelled the SEA-LAX segment. It was a through fare so there was no risidual value to the ticket. It was without consequence, but something I need to consider in the future.

James
I suspect it's treated sort of the same way the airlines usually treat hidden-city ticketing... the ones who are doing it all the time will be identified and banned (or invoiced). If it's a one-off thing, it's not a big deal. (Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered logic lol.)
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 4, 20, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
What about the reverse? Don't know if the 7pm flight is full but if you book the 1215am flight and then if you get there early enough change onto the 7pm one.
In fact, this would work! If you are flying a red-eye between midnight and 4:00 am, you can SDC to the prior day. It is in the fare rules.

General notes ECONOMY NON-DISCOUNTABLE FARES R APPLIES FOR ONE WAY FARES FOR ADULT

RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 21 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE. WAITLIST NOT PERMITTED. TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED BY 1159PM 1 DAY AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE OR AT LEAST 21 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE WHICHEVER IS EARLIER. NOTE - EXCEPTION - FOR TICKETS ISSUED AT ALASKAAIR.COM / ALASKA AIRLINES RESERVATIONS OR TICKET COUNTER TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED AT TIME OF RESERVATION. . NOTE - STANDBY NOT PERMITTED. . EXCEPTION - GOLD-LEVEL MILEAGE PLAN MEMBERS / CUSTOMERS CONFIRMED IN F/Y/D/Z CLASS / PLUS ANY PASSENGER TRAVELING BETWEEN SEATTLE AND PORTLAND / BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND FAIRBANKS/ OR BETWEEN SEATTLE AND SPOKANE SHUTTLE MARKETS MAY STANDBY WITHOUT CHARGE AS AS NOTED BELOW. CUSTOMERS NOT QUALIFYING FOR FREE STANDBY MAY USE THE SAME DAY CONFIRMED FLIGHT CHANGE. . //STANDBY CONDITIONS FOR ELIGIBLE PASSENGERS// .

A. PASSENGERS MUST BE HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS AND TICKETS FOR FLIGHTS OPERATED BY BY ALASKA AIRLINES / HORIZON AIR INCLUDING FLIGHTS OPERATED ON BEHALF OF ALASKA AIRLINES BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND DUTCH HARBOR / SKYWEST. .

B. STANDBY IS PERMITTED FOR EARLIER / LATER SAME DAY FLIGHT OPERATED BY ALASKA AIRLINES / HORIZON AIR INCLUDING FLIGHTS OPERATED ON BEHALF OF ALASKA AIRLINES BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND DUTCH HARBOR / SKYWEST .

C. PASSENGERS BOOKED ON RED-EYE FLIGHTS BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 4AM MAY STANDBY THE CALENDAR DAY PRIOR. .

D.STANDBY AVAILABLE ONLY FOR IDENTICAL ROUTINGS - SAME ORIGIN/ DESTINATION/ CONNECTION/ THRU CITY. CHANGES BETWEEN CO-TERMINALS ARE PROHIBITED. .

E. STANDBY MAY BE REQUESTED VIA WEB CHECK-IN/ AIRPORT KIOSK / OR AN AGENT AT THE AIRPORT. . NOTE - SAME DAY CONFIRMED FLIGHT CHANGE . ALL CUSTOMERS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR SAME DAY CONFIRMED FLIGHT CHANGE SUBJECT TO SEAT AVAILABILITY IN THE TICKETED CABIN AT THE TIME OF THE REQUEST. . CHARGE USD 25.00 FOR SAME DAY CONFIRMED CHANGES FOR TRAVEL BETWEEN SEATTLE AND PORTLAND / BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND FAIRBANKS/ OR BETWEEN SEATTLE AND SPOKANE SHUTTLE MARKETS AND FOR TRAVEL WHOLLY WITHIN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA. CHARGE USD 50.00 FOR ALL OTHER SAME DAY CONFIRMED CHANGES. . THE CHARGE IS WAIVED FOR GOLD LEVEL MILEAGE PLAN MEMBERS AND CUSTOMERS CONFIRMED IN F/Y/D/Z CLASS.

Also, notice, highlighted in "vivid" yellow above, that AS does not differentiate between MVPG & MVPG75K in fare rules. Collectively, they are GOLD-LEVEL MILEAGE PLAN MEMBERS.

James
Old Aug 4, 20, 5:27 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

In fact, this would work! If you are flying a red-eye between midnight and 4:00 am, you can SDC to the prior day. It is in the fare rules.

RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 21 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE. WAITLIST NOT PERMITTED. TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED BY 1159PM 1 DAY AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE OR AT LEAST 21 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE WHICHEVER IS EARLIER. NOTE - EXCEPTION - FOR TICKETS ISSUED AT ALASKAAIR.COM / ALASKA AIRLINES RESERVATIONS OR TICKET COUNTER TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED AT TIME OF RESERVATION. . NOTE - STANDBY NOT PERMITTED. . EXCEPTION - GOLD-LEVEL MILEAGE PLAN MEMBERS / CUSTOMERS CONFIRMED IN F/Y/D/Z CLASS / PLUS ANY PASSENGER TRAVELING BETWEEN SEATTLE AND PORTLAND / BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND FAIRBANKS/ OR BETWEEN SEATTLE AND SPOKANE SHUTTLE MARKETS MAY STANDBY WITHOUT CHARGE AS AS NOTED BELOW. CUSTOMERS NOT QUALIFYING FOR FREE STANDBY MAY USE THE SAME DAY CONFIRMED FLIGHT CHANGE. . //STANDBY CONDITIONS FOR ELIGIBLE PASSENGERS// .

A. PASSENGERS MUST BE HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS AND TICKETS FOR FLIGHTS OPERATED BY BY ALASKA AIRLINES / HORIZON AIR INCLUDING FLIGHTS OPERATED ON BEHALF OF ALASKA AIRLINES BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND DUTCH HARBOR / SKYWEST. .

B. STANDBY IS PERMITTED FOR EARLIER / LATER SAME DAY FLIGHT OPERATED BY ALASKA AIRLINES / HORIZON AIR INCLUDING FLIGHTS OPERATED ON BEHALF OF ALASKA AIRLINES BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND DUTCH HARBOR / SKYWEST .

Also, notice, highlighted in "vivid" yellow above, that AS does not differentiate between MVPG & MVPG75K in fare rules. Collectively, they are GOLD-LEVEL MILEAGE PLAN MEMBERS.

James
Perhaps you can add this useful info as a Wikipost.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: