Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Cancel Fees Now Bumped to 12/31/2020

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
With the elimination of the change fees announced today, it's important to note that this policy (including Saver tickets) has been extended through December 31, 2020.

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-...es-change-fees
I wonder (but doubt) if they'll be adding any new benefits for Golds to compensate. This was my top incentive for hitting Gold the past few years, so now that that's not a factor (on most of the US airlines), there's little motivation to re-qualify in future years. Sure upgrades and GGUs are nice, but the change fees were the big driver and reason I'd be willing to do an MR to ensure I hit Gold.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
I wonder (but doubt) if they'll be adding any new benefits for Golds to compensate. This was my top incentive for hitting Gold the past few years, so now that that's not a factor (on most of the US airlines), there's little motivation to re-qualify in future years. Sure upgrades and GGUs are nice, but the change fees were the big driver and reason I'd be willing to do an MR to ensure I hit Gold.
We'll see, but I also doubt it. The bonus RDM was nice too back when I was banking for CX or JL awards...
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If it costs cash, it won't happen. At least in the next 24-36 months.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Gold 1MM (the unfriendly sky), Marriott Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz no longer
I agree that by removing the change fees, they are devaluating Gold & 75k benefits as an unfortunate consequence.

They could add a few things to improve benefits like:
- give a status match to spouse
- provide better award availability on AS & partners flights, especially for last-minute booking
- provide more benefits on non-OneWorld partners airlines, OneWorld membership should improve that soon for OneWorld partners.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 9:25 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
well, what united did to "preserve" benefits was to give everyone free SDC on standby, while elites can get confirmed SDC. however, getting a confirmed seat requires inventory in the same booking class, which seems unlikely unless you have really low loads or booked close-in.

that said, it's pretty clear why these changes are happening and i find talk of elite "devaluation" to be pretty off the mark. your elite benefits are worthless if the airline goes under.

Last edited by lensovet; Sep 3, 2020 at 4:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.