SEA-ALW-PUW QX 2364/2365 DH4
SEA-ICT-OKC QX 2556/2557 E75
Print Wikipost

Tag Flights and Milk Runs (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE

CO did IAH-SEA-ANC flights for years due oil traffic and IIRC, a USPS contract despite only being a nominal AS partner before moving to the Star Alliance. The flight always seemed to have very light loads on the SEA-ANC portion. NW's connection carriers would run some random milk runs on SAAB 340s out of MEM and one DTW-MSP flight which had two intermediate stops.
I took that CO flight between SEA and ANC a lot back in the day. They usually ran it with 757s and it was a nice ride...better than the 737s on AS. Loads were hit and miss (pretty full during peak periods or right before/after shift changes on the slope, pretty empty otherwise) and usually a lot of mail and freight in the belly.

The only time in my travel career Ive had police board a plane and arrest a passenger was on a CO flight in ANC.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by Chugach
....The only time in my travel career Ive had police board a plane and arrest a passenger was on a CO flight in ANC.
I, for one, would welcome the details on that one!
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Typical reasons for a tag flight under normal circumstances would be (1) as now, not enough traffic to run two individual flights, and (2) to position the aircraft for maintenance or simply better utilization. My greatest experience is with UA, so that's what my examples will be. An example of the first was their old DEN-DAY-CMH and DEN-SBN-FWA flights, while examples of the second type were ORD-SMF/OAK/SJC-SFO. The latter were often used for the afternoon flights out of ORD, which arrived too late on the west coast to simply turn around but had north-south flights available out of SFO (which also is where the maintenance base is), and for the mid-morning (~1000) departures eastbound.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
I was in F, and whatever happened occurred in Y. On a 753, which we were on that night, the F cabin is pretty well sequestered from coach but when they let us deplane a couple of FA's were talking about threatening/harassing language made towards the flight attendants.

Long story short, we landed in ANC about midnight. Taxied over to N5 (when ANC was remodeling the South Terminal, they stashed CO, DL, and US over in the old North Terminal for several years), and as soon as we stopped at the gate the pilot came on the intercom and in no uncertain terms told everyone to remain seated so that they "could take care of a little bit of business". Airport police came on the plane and hauled the guy off in handcuffs...he was not pleased. As soon as he was off the plane, the fasten seat belt sign turned off and the rest of us went off into the night. This was about 2008 or 2009.

I think it's an Anchorage thing. While that was the only time I've ever seen police involved, I've had multiple instances of passengers being pulled off aircraft in ANC prior to departure due to intoxication. And I've never had it happen anywhere else.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Thumbs up

I was in F, and whatever happened occurred in Y. On a 753, which we were on that night, the F cabin is pretty well sequestered from coach but when they let us deplane a couple of FA's were talking about threatening/harassing language made towards the flight attendants.

Long story short, we landed in ANC about midnight. Taxied over to N5 (when ANC was remodeling the South Terminal, they stashed CO, DL, and US over in the old North Terminal for several years), and as soon as we stopped at the gate the pilot came on the intercom and in no uncertain terms told everyone to remain seated so that they "could take care of a little bit of business". Airport police came on the plane and hauled the guy off in handcuffs...he was not pleased. As soon as he was off the plane, the fasten seat belt sign turned off and the rest of us went off into the night. This was about 2008 or 2009.

I think it's an Anchorage thing. While that was the only time I've ever seen police involved, I've had multiple instances of passengers being pulled off aircraft in ANC prior to departure due to intoxication. And I've never had it happen anywhere else.
Thank you for that.

After the next dispensation begins (A.C.E., After the COVID-19 Era), I will defintely book some trips to ANC based on your anecdotes. The greater chance of seeing someone hauled off a plane in cuffs is hard to resist after sheltering in place alone for weeks now already.

Last edited by Ford Fairlane; Apr 16, 2020 at 3:54 am
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:58 pm

I'm booking on a SEA-JNU-GST flight (to/from) for the summer with only a 30 minute stop in Juneau and the flight number is the same. So seems like that is a regular tag flight that they've run even before this covid mess
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I'm booking on a SEA-JNU-GST flight (to/from) for the summer with only a 30 minute stop in Juneau and the flight number is the same. So seems like that is a regular tag flight that they've run even before this covid mess
Normal flight for SE Alaska. The flight used to pick up an agent or two in JNU to work the counter/boarding in GST for the departure (I'm assuming it may still).
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
That flight has been around for decades. Nothing to worry about.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE

CO did IAH-SEA-ANC flights for years due oil traffic and IIRC, a USPS contract despite only being a nominal AS partner before moving to the Star Alliance. The flight always seemed to have very light loads on the SEA-ANC portion. NW's connection carriers would run some random milk runs on SAAB 340s out of MEM and one DTW-MSP flight which had two intermediate stops.
I used to work for Continental and it was tough to get on the IAH-SEA segment as a stand by but First Class was easier to get on SEA-ANC and v.v.

They'd run the Boeing 757-300 every now and the summer seasonal non-stop.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium

This was most likely 2009 as I recall learning about the incident occurring the same week that I was in ANC.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K

From my experience, police in ANC would be waiting at the gate for an arriving plane from somewhere else in Alaska. Upon arrival, they'd take a man into custody. I think I saw it twice.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
Tag flight, version 1999. I flew SEA-BTM-BZN on a Horizon Fokker 28. What's old is new.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Im actually booked on a SEA RDU CHS tag flight, it was a direct SEA CHS when I booked it for May 2, but was changed to the SEA RDU CHS a few days ago. My return on May 3 still shows as a CHS SEA direct. It doesn't seem as if there is any time at RDU, so it will be interesting to see how it actually goes.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I haven't been following the route updates or cancelations/suspensions, etc... but I'm a little surprised that MKE and DTW haven't been consolidated into a single 737 ex-SEA. Those routes always seemed a little thin to begin with. Same might be said for SEA<>ABQ/ELP.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I haven't been following the route updates or cancelations/suspensions, etc... but I'm a little surprised that MKE and DTW haven't been consolidated into a single 737 ex-SEA. Those routes always seemed a little thin to begin with. Same might be said for SEA<>ABQ/ELP.
I am also surprised there havent been more tags than there already are.

Some of the obvious ones off the top of my head...

MKE/DTW
STL/MCI
AUS/SAT
ANC/FAI (existing route but surprised they arent running SEA-ANC-FAI instead of SEA-FAI)
LAS/RNO
PHX/TUS
TPA/MCO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.