Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Online Cancellation still charging a fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Online Cancellation still charging a fee

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS
Question AS Online Cancellation still charging a fee

I am attempting to cancel and up coming trip in April due to the Covid-19 outbreak. But notice that the cancellation fees are still being charged for the fares? Anybody else experienced the same thing and saw a charge when they attempted to cancel an upcoming trip via online?

For the details: I purchased two mixed-cabin round trip fares back on Jan 20th for a trip on April 23rd. I used 70,000 miles to pay for the trip minus any tax and fee charges. For the refund, I selected to have the miles redeposited back into my account. But notice the alleged waived cancellation fee is still showing up as a $250 charge for the two tickets. Is this something I should call into customer support to correct or trust Alaska's online cancellation process?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
I would call. I've canceled several flights in the last 48 hours and the website has always shown me that no fee would be charged.

None of them were mixed-cabin on miles, and I don't know of any policy exception that would encompass that, but I'd wager on a code bug over a policy exception at this point. Give'em a call.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Guidance is here:

The "Please Don't Call Reservations" Master Thread

AS is asking to not call unless travel is within 72 hours of departure. I'd avoid calling until then. Also, by then, the online systems might be fixed, and will allow a fee-free cancellation.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS
Thank you TheStrangerIN29K,

I called into AS customer service and my rep was able to take care of it quickly. She "Hana" indicated that they were experiencing many issues with the mileage tickets and the no cancellation fee waiver via the online process was not working properly. Nonetheless, I was in and out in under a minute. Very impressed with Alaska's customer service.
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by beckoa
Guidance is here:

The "Please Don't Call Reservations" Master Thread

AS is asking to not call unless travel is within 72 hours of departure. I'd avoid calling until then. Also, by then, the online systems might be fixed, and will allow a fee-free cancellation.
Only hoping to help the OP: The guidance on alaskaair.com changed yesterday to: "Please contact us only if you're unable to change or cancel your trip online." Sounds like they can cancel, just not without fees that seem to go against current stated waiver policy. I"d still call in, esp. since I was connected to agents immediately on recent calls. If I were still getting a 3+ hour wait notice, I might see it differently.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by uffabrew
Thank you TheStrangerIN29K,

I called into AS customer service and my rep was able to take care of it quickly. She "Hana" indicated that they were experiencing many issues with the mileage tickets and the no cancellation fee waiver via the online process was not working properly.
I have four bookings in May, June, July paid for with AS miles on other metal, all locked up and inaccessible on the website, apparently due to cancellations or timetable changes. In every case the site tells me I have to phone in to cancel, but I assume there is no point in doing so for several weeks yet. Two I definitely want to cancel / redeposit because they were to get to events that now will not occur.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:30 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Tried to cancel mileage tickets (booked mid-March, flights next week) online and it wanted to charge the re-deposit fee. I called in to see how long the wait was, chose callback, and got called back in maybe 15 seconds. Agent cancelled and re-deposited miles with no fee. Quick and efficient. I had thought about changing but couldn’t get the date locked, so refund worked best.

Tip - when I called, the reason I gave at the voice prompt was “flight change.” The system told me callback in 1-3 minutes. My wife tried to call a few minutes later but gave the reason as “flight cancel” and it told her ~30 minute wait.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Customer service was pretty good but had some glitches over the past several weeks. I did get hit with a couple of $125 change fees for changing one flight twice and the second was for a similar deal. I also was going to get hit with another change fee but huca'ed and second agent let it go. My Wallet is now stuffed with cash so I only hope AS can stay afloat, I am optimistic they will fwiw.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ctbarron
Tried to cancel mileage tickets (booked mid-March, flights next week) online and it wanted to charge the re-deposit fee. I called in to see how long the wait was, chose callback, and got called back in maybe 15 seconds. Agent cancelled and re-deposited miles with no fee. Quick and efficient. I had thought about changing but couldn’t get the date locked, so refund worked best.

Tip - when I called, the reason I gave at the voice prompt was “flight change.” The system told me callback in 1-3 minutes. My wife tried to call a few minutes later but gave the reason as “flight cancel” and it told her ~30 minute wait.
Did you call from the same #? Do either of you have status on AS?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by beckoa
Did you call from the same #? Do either of you have status on AS?
Called the same number, neither of us have status. Note we never game AS any info beyond the reason + our phone numbers.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: AS, QF
I was charged a fee for cancellation, but when I called, they removed it and said that if you do it online, the charge occurs. I guess they still haven't fixed that yet.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:41 am

I emailed refund email address and the fee refund was processed within 15 minutes after my email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.