Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2020, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I understand your reasoning re: seat assignments on BA, but given your dates of travel, the most important thing is confirming award space, not seat assignments, especially given an almost guaranteed change of equipment.
Anyway can leave the seat assignment until after AS joins OW, so then at no additional cost
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Anyway can leave the seat assignment until after AS joins OW, so then at no additional cost
Been down that road in the past and at times not so easy! It's a bit of a crap shoot going into 2021 schedules equipment etc. certainly the "quality" of the experience of long haul is gone for the foreseeable future. I wonder if we will see any better availability of premium AA seats after entering OW for now and since the revised relationship its been as usual crappy no wait worst than crappy but then so is AA. Choices to Europe is limited unless one pays through the nose for "Lingus
Old Aug 8, 2020, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Been down that road in the past and at times not so easy! It's a bit of a crap shoot going into 2021 schedules equipment etc. certainly the "quality" of the experience of long haul is gone for the foreseeable future. I wonder if we will see any better availability of premium AA seats after entering OW for now and since the revised relationship its been as usual crappy no wait worst than crappy but then so is AA. Choices to Europe is limited unless one pays through the nose for "Lingus
1) I thought the proper expression was "pay out the shamrock" for EI.
2) My general thoughts "book now." If I see something I want, even if the seat and service situation isn't particular satisfying now, I'd still book it. The worst any of us are out that are MVPG or + is $25 a ticket.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
1) I thought the proper expression was "pay out the shamrock" for EI.
2) My general thoughts "book now." If I see something I want, even if the seat and service situation isn't particular satisfying now, I'd still book it. The worst any of us are out that are MVPG or + is $25 a ticket.

Eastbay I love it ! I have been trying to understand for Shamrocks pricing/product/value ratio where is AS in all this? EK sure I understand. I also agree with you if the availability is there however a simply flight to London for next May to September is not there except for coach not even premium class, with the exception of a couple SFO/LAX/SJC biz on BA 787 and if anyone has flown business on BA 787 won't do it again.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: One World Alliance; Alaska Airlines Gold; BonVoy Platinum Elite; Best Grandpa in the World
I'm following this thread because I have Iberia flights booked. I want to ensure I get my AS number into the booking for the credits.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by kelly0522
I'm following this thread because I have Iberia flights booked. I want to ensure I get my AS number into the booking for the credits.
X2
Old Aug 18, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by kelly0522
I have that QR deal booked to BKK in November and would move to credit it to AS. But if they don’t allow us to move the QR flights to next year, I don’t think I’ll make it. That won’t stop me from saving the tickets and sending them to Alaska at a later date.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 2:39 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
I'm not the only one who's afraid of AS pulling out of most mid/transcon routes and effectively becoming a west-coast feeder for American, thus forcing us to rely on AA's network outside of the a handful of single-timezone routes, am I?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by mfolf
I'm not the only one who's afraid of AS pulling out of most mid/transcon routes and effectively becoming a west-coast feeder for American, thus forcing us to rely on AA's network outside of the a handful of single-timezone routes, am I?
I'm not concerned about it, certainly not out of SEA and PDX. AA is not likely to be a factor in a pullback in midcon/transcons out of SFO, though other factors might be. LAX could possibly be a concern, but AA has very recently more or less de-hubbed LAX. If anything, AA is pulling back to rely on AS, and none of AAdvantage, Mileage Plan, or oneworld have an interest in there not being a significant oneworld presence in those transcon routes.

AA and AS do not have and will not have antitrust immunity or revenue sharing, so AS doesn't have an incentive to push profitable customers to AA.

Standard 2020 caveat: anyone who claims to have a good idea what will happen to air travel over the next year or two has a crystal ball far better than mine. Practically anything can change due to factors way beyond AA and AS. But I don't think the AA-AS partnership is a particular threat to AS's network.
WillTravel4Food likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 9:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Speaking as a SAN base, I’m confident the majority of routes will stay, if not adding more routes here. Heavy WN competition intra CA but on transcons most routes have little to no competition besides B6
Old Aug 18, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
JDiver notes this in the AA forum:

Originally Posted by JDiver
Good news. At least as of yesterday, AS boarding passes are now reflecting AA status and FFN if you’re crediting to AA, boarding in Group A if EP, baggage fee waivers etc. much as with the old partnership. We can hope miles will post more expeditiously as well.
Hopefully that means official reciprocal status recognition is coming very soon (and in advance of oneworld membership, which is unsurprising to me).
Old Aug 18, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by ashill
JDiver notes this in the AA forum:

Hopefully that means official reciprocal status recognition is coming very soon (and in advance of oneworld membership, which is unsurprising to me).
this is awesome! Thank you
Old Aug 22, 2020, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by ashill
I'm not concerned about it, certainly not out of SEA and PDX. AA is not likely to be a factor in a pullback in midcon/transcons out of SFO, though other factors might be. LAX could possibly be a concern, but AA has very recently more or less de-hubbed LAX. If anything, AA is pulling back to rely on AS, and none of AAdvantage, Mileage Plan, or oneworld have an interest in there not being a significant oneworld presence in those transcon routes.

AA and AS do not have and will not have antitrust immunity or revenue sharing, so AS doesn't have an incentive to push profitable customers to AA.

Standard 2020 caveat: anyone who claims to have a good idea what will happen to air travel over the next year or two has a crystal ball far better than mine. Practically anything can change due to factors way beyond AA and AS. But I don't think the AA-AS partnership is a particular threat to AS's network.
I agree it appears AA is planning on relying on AS on many of these routes as they pull back theirs, as for AS travelers flying long haul international AA's reward chart sucks for even premium seats always has always will with Parker. Service long haul is equality terrible so for us AS flyers its still BA ( surcharges ) EK going around "the other way" With diminished schedules, smaller planes should prove interesting for award travel in the next few years. If I had one wish its for Parker to retire
Old Aug 22, 2020, 6:15 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I agree it appears AA is planning on relying on AS on many of these routes as they pull back theirs, as for AS travelers flying long haul international AA's reward chart sucks for even premium seats always has always will with Parker. Service long haul is equality terrible so for us AS flyers its still BA ( surcharges ) EK going around "the other way" With diminished schedules, smaller planes should prove interesting for award travel in the next few years. If I had one wish its for Parker to retire
AA needs AS to keep its FFP relevant to west coast travelers.

Alaska's award chart for long haul international flights on AA seems to mostly match AA now. 57.5k for J to Europe, 60k for J to Asia 1, 80k for F to Asia 1. Now, the AS rates on JL and CX are much better than AA's, but we'll have to see if they standardize award costs when they join oneworld.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by VFR
AA needs AS to keep its FFP relevant to west coast travelers.

Alaska's award chart for long haul international flights on AA seems to mostly match AA now. 57.5k for J to Europe, 60k for J to Asia 1, 80k for F to Asia 1. Now, the AS rates on JL and CX are much better than AA's, but we'll have to see if they standardize award costs when they join oneworld.
While on "paper" your correct however in the real world I have rarely seen availability on AA on anything but main cabin to Europe, only once in all these years did I get F and then AA changed equipment ! In all fairness to AA and others until schedules return to some normalcy it's a gut shot to get anything but main cabin. One would think the airlines would make more space available in the upper cabins to get FF to burn points as well as just getting people on the planes. Its going to be a long slog getting international travel back up and running. I have survived war in different countries with little sanitation with little side effects but NOT taking any chances on this one.
NWplatinum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.