Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by zdfld
AFAIK, AS will not let you mix partners yet, except for some codeshare exceptions.

They could maybe book a separate AA ticket using AS miles, but I don't think that's what they're looking for.
Sorry I forgot about the only one partner thing - b/c I've been booking the same type awards on AA and AS and rebooking for many failed trips alternately so I had a brain glitch.

I thought I read that they were going to change that rule recently when they formally joined oneworld- but it could be wishful thinking - has anyone seen/heard anything about that?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I had a bunch of my JAL F LAX and SGO to HRT and HND cancelled and rebooked today. Got the email from AS. I am thinking it is likely they are switching to non suite 6 per airline First class seats. Which model airline do I need to avoid and which one have the legit suites? Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:29 pm

Looks like Japan is going to loosen the restrictions a bit. At least it's possible now.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Looks like Japan is going to loosen the restrictions a bit. At least it's possible now.
What makes you say this?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
What makes you say this?
vax and boosted people who test negative will only have to quarantine for 3 days
estnet likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
vax and boosted people who test negative will only have to quarantine for 3 days
That’s still going to kill tourism. If I have to spend 20% of my two week vacation in quarantine, I’m going to go have a vacation somewhere else where I can spend 100% of it on vacation.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That’s still going to kill tourism. If I have to spend 20% of my two week vacation in quarantine, I’m going to go have a vacation somewhere else where I can spend 100% of it on vacation.
true, it’s not ideal, but it’s a start. There are people who can work remotely while traveling so this will work for them.
estnet likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Alaska 100k, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry if this is covered somewhere but I can't find it, about how far out in months or weeks should I start looking for Business or First class award space?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
I have never had a chance to use JAL or transit NRT. But received the dreaded your flight has been cancelled email from AS today on an award in J to BKK from PDX. Agent claimed the SEA-NRT (JL67) was adjusted such that a connection was illegal. But I think JL cancelled that flight for Saturdays now (or at least with I poke around with dummy bookings.)

AS offered to rebook next day, but I asked them to request space on JL via LAX instead. Curious to see if that works - there is tons of space in general on that plane. But agent warned it could be 5-7 business days before we hear back - that seems archaic....
tobikosan likes this.

Last edited by williwaw; Feb 22, 2022 at 11:48 am
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by williwaw
AS offered to rebook next day, but I asked them to request space on JL via LAX instead. Curious to see if that works - there is tons of space in general on that plane. But agent warned it could be 5-7 business days before we hear back - that seems archaic....
Success this evening, received a schedule alert email from AS and it was with new seats on JL via LAX after the cancelled SEA-NRT flight. A longer itinerary with PDX-LAX but I will take it.
estnet likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw
Success this evening, received a schedule alert email from AS and it was with new seats on JL via LAX after the cancelled SEA-NRT flight. A longer itinerary with PDX-LAX but I will take it.
I had a similar issue (sfo-tyo)- but in my case they eliminated F (where I was booked) - AS wanted to put me on another flight in C but I, too knew to ask them to reroute me through LA (where F was available but not for award) - they also said 5-7 days (I think that's the guide line) but I got confirmation much more quickly too. It pays to know what to ask for! (they didn't think JL would do it and tried to dissuade me)
williwaw likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
I had a similar issue (sfo-tyo)- but in my case they eliminated F (where I was booked) - AS wanted to put me on another flight in C but I, too knew to ask them to reroute me through LA (where F was available but not for award) - they also said 5-7 days (I think that's the guide line) but I got confirmation much more quickly too. It pays to know what to ask for! (they didn't think JL would do it and tried to dissuade me)
What's the fare class for your new JL F? If it isn't A, you may have hit the jackpot.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by maverikbc
What's the fare class for your new JL F? If it isn't A, you may have hit the jackpot.
No it is A I was using F to indicate first class for shorthand not the actual booking class

BTW has anyone flown nrt-bkk # 707/708? It shows the ability to choose a seat in what looks like first class area? Are they flying a plane that is configured for 3 class as a 2 class plane?
Old Feb 27, 2022, 12:33 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
No it is A I was using F to indicate first class for shorthand not the actual booking class

BTW has anyone flown nrt-bkk # 707/708? It shows the ability to choose a seat in what looks like first class area? Are they flying a plane that is configured for 3 class as a 2 class plane?
Yes, there is a 777 on that route as well as BKK-HND. Ive flown it a couple of times recently, seat is F but service is J.
estnet and williwaw like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:39 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
was it showing up as available on AS site, or they gave you a revenue seat, but still coded as A? Everytime I get involuntary rebooks, I kinda get excited especially when cabin is F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.