Search

Relocating to SEA soon. Questions...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2019, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Relocating to SEA soon. Questions...

Currently a UA flier (been silver to 1k with status.) UA isn't the greatest in the PNW so looking at changing to AS and AA. I'll be flying fairly frequently between SEA and MKE/BGR. I'm assuming that there's a SEA-PHL flight so I can continue onward to BGR with AA.

I guess is there anything I should know about Alaska? I flew on them about 10 years ago when NW (DL?) allowed redemption, and it wasn't bad (wasn't great, but was better than Y on UA.) Also looking at getting a club membership for the year.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
The Alaska American ship sailed awhile ago. The AS AA partnership is mostly dead. You can't get AS miles for flying AA flights except for a few flights that are codeshare and usually much more expensive.

If you have to fly SEA-MKE, consider AS and DL Connection, which fly non-stop. Southwest does too, except it's seasonal. Bangor has service with American and United but Delta service is from LaGuardia, which would mean 2 connections to Seattle, not practical.

So consider
1. Alaska, American
2. Alaska, United
3. Delta, American
4. Delta, United
5. Southwest, American
6. Southwest, United.

I'd probably chose 2.
Second choice would be 4
Third choice would be 6.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
The Alaska American ship sailed awhile ago. The AS AA partnership is mostly dead. You can't get AS miles for flying AA flights except for a few flights that are codeshare and usually much more expensive.

If you have to fly SEA-MKE, consider AS and DL Connection, which fly non-stop. Southwest does too, except it's seasonal. Bangor has service with American and United but Delta service is from LaGuardia, which would mean 2 connections to Seattle, not practical.

So consider
1. Alaska, American
2. Alaska, United
3. Delta, American
4. Delta, United
5. Southwest, American
6. Southwest, United.

I'd probably chose 2.
Second choice would be 4
Third choice would be 6.
WN really isn't a good option. They don't fly into BGR, and have cut back at PWM (which is a 2 hour drive with pricy parking.) I've eliminated DL as a carrier after they discontinued both DTW and JFK service. I'm just sick of flying through EWR in the winter. Was hoping to just stick with one carrier, or at least two that played nicely. Might end up with just going with AA next year.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Might end up with just going with AA next year.
NO! Then you would be condemned to fly AA to ORD with a connection to MKE or ORD then drive to Milwaukee.

If you are using AA to BGR, fine. But consider AS to MKE since you don't like DL.

Conclusion: use AAdvantage and Alaska Mileage Plan as your two primary programs. Also check the SEA-BGR schedules to make sure that AA offers something convenient. If not convenient, check UA.

As for me, I gave up loyalty a few years ago. Instead, I have a list of primary airlines, secondary airlines, and tertiary airlines. AA is in the last category. Still, if I had to fly SFO-CLT (AA is the only non-stop), I would even though UA is in my secondary category.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I would recommend just sticking with UA. AA/WN are both really weak in the PNW, and AS/DL will not get you to BGR effectively at all. UA also has the advantage of flying out of both SEA and PAE.

I have elite status when flying AS, UA, and AA, and I usually fly AS to destinations served nonstop from SEA and UA for everything else (e.g. I fly to CVG and PVD often). AA is almost never useful to me domestically. If I didn't fly enough to maintain mid-tier status on both, I'd probably just consolidate everything with UA. If you'll be flying 90k+ miles each year, then you're probs best off holding MVPG with AS and 1P with UA (or *G from another *A program).
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Anything you should know about Alaska?

They give away free drinks.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

NO! Then you would be condemned to fly AA to ORD with a connection to MKE or ORD then drive to Milwaukee.

If you are using AA to BGR, fine. But consider AS to MKE since you don't like DL.

Conclusion: use AAdvantage and Alaska Mileage Plan as your two primary programs. Also check the SEA-BGR schedules to make sure that AA offers something convenient. If not convenient, check UA.

As for me, I gave up loyalty a few years ago. Instead, I have a list of primary airlines, secondary airlines, and tertiary airlines. AA is in the last category. Still, if I had to fly SFO-CLT (AA is the only non-stop), I would even though UA is in my secondary category.
honestly, I’m fine with taking the ORD-MKE flight, have done it for years with UA. It usually drops the price of the ticket and is good for easy miles and segments.

BGR-SEA requires a layover in EWR, PHL, or ORD. Both UA and AA have seasonal flights there, and the red eye back are essentially the same. UA’s schedule is a bit easier, but not. Y much.

I think I might just stay with UA. Had a string of bad luck the past few trips and kinda gave up on them. DL really isn’t an option. But AS looked promising. Oh well.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
Seattle is now my home airport and although I don’t fly to the same destinations as you, if you’re looking at getting a club membership, Alaska is going to be a significantly better experience at SEA than United. The United Club at SEA sucks. The Delta clubs are the best - but Alaska just redid their flagship lounge and it’s pretty good. The Centurion at Seatac is like a “mini” lounge and it’s good — but it’s not up to the level of the Centurion lounges at other airports.

If you’re already 1K with United, I’d status match to MVP Gold 75k in Alaska and then try it for a few flights to see what it’s like and if you want to augment your UA flights or maybe even switch. The status match process is pretty painless and I’ll give Alaska credit for generally having good customer service, regardless of loyalty.

I’m a big DL/SkyTeam person and because most of my travel is international and out of SEA, that suits me best; but I’ve done a decent amount of domestic on Alaska and it’s a good airline. It’s not as good as Virgin America was (RIP), but I status-matched and got good upgrade percentages this year and I certainly prefer it to American or United in coach.

I didn’t fly them enough this year to requalify for MVP Gold or Gold 75k — and most of my 2020 travel will again be international, so unless I’m flying Emirates and want to credit those miles to Alaska (which is what I did this year), it’s not going to be a big factor in where I fly. But if I did more domestic travel, I’d definitely give Alaska a shot, just because they are so prevalent in SEA and because Delta’s aggressive moves in the are really forcing them to step up their game in terms of service and flights.

I refuse to fly WN unless there is no other option and it is a life or death emergency, so I can’t comment on WN out of SEA.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by film_girl

I refuse to fly WN unless there is no other option and it is a life or death emergency, so I can’t comment on WN out of SEA.
I used to feel the same way about Southwest but the other airlines are so bad and Southwest has stayed the same.

If you can get upgrades, WN is not the airline to use as primary. I don't like the race to do online check in at 23:59:59 before the flight but you can buy better access (and seating) or check in within 15 minutes of 24 hours and get a fair seat.

For the original poster, WN is not a good option since they might fly to MKE only part of the year.

For the original poster, his/her conclusion of sticking with UA is a reasonably good decision. In addition, I would suggest they try a AS SEA-MKE nonstop once and see if they like it. If so, then consider a split UA/AS in loyalty. In other words, UA loyalty with consideration for occasional AS flights.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
SEA-MKE route is wonderful. It is very reliable. I have been doing this route enough to also use this as a reliable alternative to ORD.

Nearly 100% upgrades to FC as a 75K. I have never not gotten home from MKE even in the midst of snowstorms that have delayed ORD for days. In fact when I know that a snow storm is in Chicago I go ahead and book an alternative flight from MKE and have a car or train from downtown Chicago to MkE airport for my team. The $25 train ride one way or $200 car ride for 4 is worth the cost to permit us all to sleep in our own beds in Seattle.

Have easily done 50 flights to and from MKe over the past 4 years and its reliably reliable.

The connection to BGR from ORD or PHiladelphia With Alaska will at least allow you to qualify for higher status with AS. The SEA to ORD also has a very high first class upgrade rate for 75K

Depending on your frequency to MKE and thus status level achieved may determine. In fact my wife and daughter are MVPG and about 60% upgrade rate to and from MkE. I frequently book them out of MKE in winter to make sure they get home from Chicago as planned.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I used to feel the same way about Southwest but the other airlines are so bad and Southwest has stayed the same.

If you can get upgrades, WN is not the airline to use as primary. I don't like the race to do online check in at 23:59:59 before the flight but you can buy better access (and seating) or check in within 15 minutes of 24 hours and get a fair seat.

For the original poster, WN is not a good option since they might fly to MKE only part of the year.

For the original poster, his/her conclusion of sticking with UA is a reasonably good decision. In addition, I would suggest they try a AS SEA-MKE nonstop once and see if they like it. If so, then consider a split UA/AS in loyalty. In other words, UA loyalty with consideration for occasional AS flights.
WN isn't even on my radar as an option. They offer service BWI-PWM as their primary lift. And as mentioned, PWM is 2+ hours drive from BGR.

Originally Posted by Xrayman
SEA-MKE route is wonderful. It is very reliable. I have been doing this route enough to also use this as a reliable alternative to ORD.

Nearly 100% upgrades to FC as a 75K. I have never not gotten home from MKE even in the midst of snowstorms that have delayed ORD for days. In fact when I know that a snow storm is in Chicago I go ahead and book an alternative flight from MKE and have a car or train from downtown Chicago to MkE airport for my team. The $25 train ride one way or $200 car ride for 4 is worth the cost to permit us all to sleep in our own beds in Seattle.

Have easily done 50 flights to and from MKe over the past 4 years and its reliably reliable.

The connection to BGR from ORD or PHiladelphia With Alaska will at least allow you to qualify for higher status with AS. The SEA to ORD also has a very high first class upgrade rate for 75K

Depending on your frequency to MKE and thus status level achieved may determine. In fact my wife and daughter are MVPG and about 60% upgrade rate to and from MkE. I frequently book them out of MKE in winter to make sure they get home from Chicago as planned.
That's good to know. I'm not sure what my frequency getting into MKE is going to be. Right now it is about every 6 weeks or so. Adding in BGR that is probably going to be about the same. Not sure though.

I keep going between AS/AA and just staying on UA. I don't mind a layover in DEN, and in summer SEA-ORD-BGR is so easy with the red eye, gets into BGR before lunch.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:20 pm
Suspended

WN isn't even on my radar as an option. They offer service BWI-PWM as their primary lift. And as mentioned, PWM is 2+ hours drive from BGR.

That's good to know. I'm not sure what my frequency getting into MKE is going to be. Right now it is about every 6 weeks or so. Adding in BGR that is probably going to be about the same. Not sure though.

I keep going between AS/AA and just staying on UA. I don't mind a layover in DEN, and in summer SEA-ORD-BGR is so easy with the red eye, gets into BGR before lunch.
If I had to make the decision for you, it would be to stay on UA but consider an occasional AS SEA/MKE non-stop so that AS will be your secondary program. Your experience will justify making AS more than occasional or not.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k

That rate for SEA-MKE and SEA-ORD (BGR) AS route will easily get you to MVP-Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.