Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Rant] SEA Is a Christmas Holiday Nightmare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rant] SEA Is a Christmas Holiday Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: AS 75K
I try like hell to not move with the herd with respect to travel or pretty much anything. If I do end up flying right around Christmas, sure it's disappointing what can happen but I'm not really surprised when things go sideways. It's just the nature of any business. They can't staff for peak days and have those people sit around the rest of the year. It's like when a tour bus pulls up to a little cafe in a roadside town and everyone expects to get a great meal in 5 minutes. It's just not going to happen.

Sure, Alaska made mistakes and it's nice of them to recognize them and apologize. I guess I'm just surprised that so many people are surprised when things go wrong in situations like this.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:09 am

I got an email apologizing for the luggage debacle with a $200 discount code, but it's addressed to a different person (a Jeffrey instead of a Stephen lol). Still appears to work and I also suffered from the luggage thing, so vOv

What I really need is my luggage claim number so that I can apply for reimbursement of some clothes and toiletries on my CSR (they said they emailed this to me, but I never got it).
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders
I got an email apologizing for the luggage debacle with a $200 discount code, but it's addressed to a different person (a Jeffrey instead of a Stephen lol). Still appears to work and I also suffered from the luggage thing, so vOv

What I really need is my luggage claim number so that I can apply for reimbursement of some clothes and toiletries on my CSR (they said they emailed this to me, but I never got it).
that's because Jeffrey probably got it
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xrayman
Arrived into SEA on Friday December 20. 1 hour delay due to delay from outbound flight that was leaving SEA for a round trip. Once landed sat in tarmac for about 1 hour. Captain took off the seatbelt sign thus indicating it was going to be awhile. FAs in first we’re willing to provide water bottles.

I no longer get picked up or dropped off at SEA-TAC airport. I go to the train station to tukwila station and catch an uber as opposed to uber at SEA-TAC which can take upwards of 30 minutes routinely for evening arrivals. If there is a back up for my departure I get dropped also at tukwila train station. The train comes by every 6-10 minutes reliably and the 5 minute walk is sort of refreshing and reliable.

I’m fortunate where I never ever have to check a bag as my toiletries are travel size.

In retrospect my experience of a 2 hour delay sounds inconsequential compared to others. Thankfully 1 of those hours was on the boarding side and texted very early (4 hours before takeoff) and I was able to stay in hotel room longer as opposed to an airport that doesn’t have an AS or partner lounge.
An alternate bypass for getting picked up at SEA-TAC is to walk toward the Light Rail station from the airport, but cross the bridge over Aurora/99 and go downstairs to the SeaTac/Airport Station Passenger Pick-Up spot.

It's a bit of extra walking but can save you from the madness of the Lyft/Uber/Wingz waiting area.
dgreen12 and PaperGlider like this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Originally Posted by dangerclose
An alternate bypass for getting picked up at SEA-TAC is to walk toward the Light Rail station from the airport, but cross the bridge over Aurora/99 and go downstairs to the SeaTac/Airport Station Passenger Pick-Up spot.

It's a bit of extra walking but can save you from the madness of the Lyft/Uber/Wingz waiting area.
Of course, that elevator is out of service more than those on the rest of the line combined, so if you're being dropped off outbound be ready to climb a significant number of stairs!

Originally Posted by Xrayman
I no longer get picked up or dropped off at SEA-TAC airport. I go to the train station to tukwila station and catch an uber as opposed to uber at SEA-TAC which can take upwards of 30 minutes routinely for evening arrivals. If there is a back up for my departure I get dropped also at tukwila train station. The train comes by every 6-10 minutes reliably and the 5 minute walk is sort of refreshing and reliable.
Great idea, and I also use the light rail (though from Angle Lake). Just a reminder for others wanting to do this: for about 10 weeks the train will be every 12 minutes during the full operating schedule, 7 days a week. I know a thing or two about railroads so I don't know why it's going to take them that long to connect the new tracks at Pioneer Square, but that's the reason.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by dangerclose

That's what I do when I'm personally picking up people, and it's great for dropping off, but beware of getting an uber/lyft _from_ there. The problem is that Uber drivers who are already in the airport chaos can pick up your ride, defeating the entire purpose of walking over there. On a horrible day, consider just riding the train one stop north or south and getting a pickup from farther away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.